Suggestion: Other 05/18/2006 12:17 PM CDT
The Mail System Proposal v.8

Whenever I get fed up with people using pidgeon or pigeon on the gweths, I open notepad and I write up
a proposal for IG mail delivery. Usually I trash it and go about my way, but I figure - this time maybe
I'll just post it for spite.

Each province would have Post Offices located in populated areas. Posts would come with several options
for when you are writing a letter.

Delivery Types:
Bird Delivery, like those cards you send to people from the fests. Fast, more expensive.
OR
PC Delivery. This would work like a task or a job. Modus has a similar system where they can go, ring
bell and get a delivery job. Since levels here would have to vary, perhaps 1-10 would only be given the
option of delivering letters to people in the Province they are in. 11-20 are given the option of taking
a stack of letters from province Y to Province B. PC Delivery would be cheaper to send, but slower
and less reliable. Obviously it'd be silly to have the system lose your letter, but who can say if Joe
Barb will deliver that letter in time?

Paper Types: -varying in value-
Crinkled Vellum
Torn Parchment
Rich Vellum
Fine Parchment

Writing your letter:
When writing your letter, I see this being something like the library system. You buy the paper, use
the posts quills to write. (Maybe penmanship is based on mech?) and it opens up a window like when you
are reading a library book.

EXAMPLE:
>write
You begin to scribe out your letter.
Type "Q" on its own line to end your letter.

Dear Joe,
Having a Great Time in Ilithi.
Wish you were here.
Love, Toes
q

You sprinkle some sand on the (paper type) to dry the ink. Once you've removed the excess sand, you
fold the letter in (neat, lopsided.. mech based?) folds.
/End EXAMPLE

This would also be a great chance for people to have wax seals made either as stand alone stamps
or rings, with which to seal their letters.

People could buy standard seals, depicting Province crests, or God's Avatars, I wouldn't say Guild Crests
beacuse then it would seem like official guild stuff.. not sure on this personally. Or people could
have custom ones made.

Without knowing the limitations or anything about the systems, thats what I've come up with.

AIM: Huldahs Pal
Re: Suggestion: Other 05/18/2006 12:33 PM CDT
nice but i think the letters should got to the post office in the region, unless the people are logged on then it should goto them

that way, you can go to the carrier office (changing the name post seems to modern) and see you have mail

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Suggestion: Other 05/18/2006 12:38 PM CDT
I probably didn't explain that.

If you write a letter at Leth, it would go to X province assuming you paid for that type of delivery.

The only reason I mentioned personal delivery is for something for smaller characters to do, picking up letters in Riverhaven and taking them to people. I couldn't think of a fair solution for smaller characters to be a part of the delivery system. It wouldn't be fair to hand a lvl 3 guy a pack of letters and say "Hey, all these need to be taken to M'Riss."

Re: Suggestion: Other 05/18/2006 01:41 PM CDT
ooh you mean we deliver em? that'd add some spice

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Suggestion: Other 05/18/2006 01:44 PM CDT
>ooh you mean we deliver em? that'd add some spice

Yup. I was thinking not TO individuals, since that would personally jar me RP wise. But deliver packets of letters to other offices.

So if I go to Crossing Post and ask if I have mail, the guy will say No, if I don't,

If we want to stretch realism a bit - we can say, have Moonies (like bank xfers) check other post offices for letters for a fee.

Ideas in my head get so jumbled sometimes.

Re: Suggestion: Other 05/23/2006 07:31 AM CDT
I really like the idea; in addition you could use the paper and wax seals to write invitations for informal events, etc. for you personally to hand out to people.

Ebil Cleric Bambina
Re: Suggestion: Other Yes please! 03/14/2007 05:52 PM CDT
I was going to post this on my own, but seeing another post about post office-mail system here already I'll just attach my thoughts onto it...

I would LOVE a mail system in Elanthia. I don't think it needs to be very complicated either.

Go to a Post Office in town or city,
request paper,
have quill in hand, or ones to borrow.
Write "So-and-so, ran to Ilithi for a few days. Be back soon. From, Joeshmoe"
seal letter
Post letter - requires 5 copper or somesuch (like weighing at MAMAS)

The letter can be delievered to the person when they log on and are somewhere in a town or near a landmark. (cleric's guild in P5 or fissure in Aesry or some such). Delievered by an NPC who whizzes by, hands the person a letter, winks knowingly and runs off.

Open letter
Read letter
drop letter -becomes a ball of paper that is thrown away (the litterbug command... I can't remember where its used exactly) Or tear letter like dismantling a box.

There could even be a character limit to keep letters short. Maybe for longer letters there can be a higher charge.

Although I really like Huldahs-Pal's more elaborate suggestion as well.

To cut down on harassment - because I can so easily see that becoming an issue, perhaps limit the amount of letters allowed to a person a day and limit the amount of times So-and-so can send a letter to Joeshmoe.

I agree hearing people ask others to send out their pi(d)geon is irksome. And having people ask me for mine is also irksome because I like to keep the IG fun IG as much as possible.

Having seen a system like this badly abused in other games, I can understand why the GM's might be against it. I still wanted to add my support for the idea.

-Player of "One of the Caels" and a WarMage

You say, "I need to wake up a locksmith."
Bromus says, "I used to dream about that nightly. Never worked."
Bromus says, "Never woke up with one next to me either."
You glance at Bromus, a male Human.
Bromus gives you a crooked grin.
Re: Suggestion: Other Yes please! 03/14/2007 10:29 PM CDT
I recall hearing Solomon saying a system like this will never be greenlit anytime soon, due to technical limitations, (read: resource drain, would be a severe source of lag, etc. etc.)

I did not quote, since I don't recall exact words though, your mileage may vary (with better brains)
Re: Suggestion: Other Yes please! 03/15/2007 02:54 PM CDT
"would be a severe source of lag"

If that's thier excuse for not having a mail system. What's the excuse for the lag when 600 plus players are signed in. (Prime at least)?

I think a system would be great like this though. I dont have too many players IMs. And to be able to leave a msg for people or send it afar would be really nice.

Player of Adakin Sothir