Where to find out about ePedia outages? 11/03/2016 05:18 PM CDT
Hi

I wasn't sure of the best place to put this, so forgive me if this is the wrong place.

Part of HE Fest is at least getting the shop pages set up to show the correct items, though I don't have the plats to buy all the neat items out there and document them for posterity. I've been working on that, and it's sort of fun.

However, ever since last night, trying to update or create new pages in ePedia has resulted in an Internal Server error for me. I've cleared my browser cache, so am fairly sure the problem is not on my end. Where would I go or who would I talk to to either report this or find out when it might be fixed? I can see who the admins are, and in some cases, the player's character is obvious and I can catch those people IG if I see them, but I'm wondering what to do when I DON'T see them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

~nkstroud
player of Kerenelle Su'otsu
Re: Where to find out about ePedia outages? 11/03/2016 06:35 PM CDT
>>However, ever since last night, trying to update or create new pages in ePedia has resulted in an Internal Server error for me.

Not the epedia system admin (that's an onsite/Simu-side person, I believe), but internal server errors mean the error is on the site, not your computer.

My guess is that, like most HEs, people are using the site a lot more (understandably), and updates are happening a lot more (understandably), so the server is getting a bit of a headache.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Where to find out about ePedia outages? ::Posts Moved:: 11/04/2016 12:01 AM CDT
Some posts were moved here.

Aneka
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Aneka@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Where to find out about ePedia outages? 11/04/2016 03:55 PM CDT
I really think there's more to it than what you're saying. I can update the page for the Corn Maze just fine, and I've tried MULTIPLE TIMES to put my changes for HE in during non-peak hours. It's only the main Hollow Eve page that I can't touch, not even if I limit myself to just changing the section in question (it's in that big list of shops with links). I have a list of changes I'd really like to put in. At the rate things are going, it's going to be after HE before I can get them in, not because I don't keep trying but because there's something wonky going on that no one is willing to actually look into.

I also can't update shop pages, add items to shops, or submit new shop sites, and in one case, the shop in question has all new inventory. Could this be a permissions issue?

I just want a way to get my changes in. I don't care who does it, I just want a person who will help me figure out how to get it done, because I'm afraid I'll forget what needs doing if I don't get these in soon!

Thanks!
Re: Where to find out about ePedia outages? 11/04/2016 05:18 PM CDT
>>no one is willing to actually look into

I'm not sure where this assumption is coming from.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Where to find out about ePedia outages? 11/04/2016 08:32 PM CDT
Not a 'pedia person (P.S. do you know they have a twitter account?), but...

Can you be more specific about the internal server error you are getting? A screenshot?

In the meantime, drop the changes you want to make onto your own user page if you can edit there... and stop trying to make multiple attempts to edit the other page. That isn't helping and is probably actively making whatever it is worse.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Where to find out about ePedia outages? 11/04/2016 09:45 PM CDT
It's not just you, the pedia is all sorts of acting up, for me and a few others. I'm positive on-site knows and is working on it.
Re: Where to find out about ePedia outages? 11/04/2016 10:03 PM CDT
>>I'm positive on-site knows and is working on it.

+1

Re: Where to find out about ePedia outages? 11/04/2016 10:24 PM CDT
Raesh: as technical messages go (and I do have a background in IT), the message I'm seeing is pretty darn unhelpful. The only text on the page is literally as follows:

500 Internal Server Error
nginx/1.6.2

I promise, there's absolutely nothing else besides that.

And as for Twitter, I've been working to avoid using that for years. That's a philosophical subject I won't get into for now, but let's just say I hate Twitter more than all the other social media platforms out there combined and leave it at that. I can appreciate that you were just trying to suggest an option, though. :) And yeah, I'll see if I can make some notes on my User page.

Tev: I'll grant you, I was making a bit of an assumption based on my own background in IT. There were plenty of times where we weren't sure what was going on with our web-based application and we'd have to say, "Our best guess is X". We might have one or two people actually able to look into whatever it was, but those people were among the most overworked and didn't necessarily have a lot of time to put into it. It could be frustrating for the rest of us not to have an answer for people, and I guess I felt a bit like I was getting one of those messages I used to have to give at times. It was my clumsy and ungraceful way of trying to ask to NOT be given an answer like that. I prefer an honest "It might be X, but honestly I don't really know".

I was also feeling a bit grumpy after spending several hours in Automapper hell trying to create a Genie map of the Corn Maze, then running out of passes after completing about 4 sections and not feeling inclined to sink the amount of money I think it's going to take into SimuCoins for more passes to finish that particular task. That's an experience to frustrate even the most patient of souls, given the number of rooms with the same room title, room description, and room exits. But THAT's a whole other story! I apologize if I was a bit sharp. I didn't sleep at all last night trying to get that done and out, but it just ain't happenin', not unless I can find several people who will volunteer to give me one of their passes to finish the map. I'm willing to subject myself to the frustration of the task, but not to have to pay a minimum of $70-$100 out of my own pocket for all that frustration when I JUST shelled out ~$50 to send my empath and trader to HE.
Re: Where to find out about ePedia outages? 11/05/2016 07:08 AM CDT

Elanthipedia is a player collaborative project.

While all of us appreciate and are grateful when players update elanthipedia, a reminder:

This is not a conflicts folder or even a complaint folder, keep all posts constructive, especially when you're giving feedback.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.