Hunting Ladders and Creature Data (From "First Post") 07/06/2016 05:26 PM CDT
As Annwyl requested, I am starting a new thread for the discussion of Elanthipedia's creature data. The original post: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Surviving%20in%20DragonRealms%20-%20Elanthia/Elanthipedia%20(DragonRealms%20WIKI)/view/11

>>Jwark4: the most helpful thing to me would be updated teaching ranges on the critters. I'm not sure if that's what the purpose of this board is for or is in scope. I don't have the numbers either. And more specific numbers on what skills they teach.

Unfortunately, this is not as easy as it sounds. Only a small number of players contribute to Elanthipedia. Among our wiki contributors, you have to find one who is in the sweet spot, rank-wise, for testing a particular creature's range. Since most people just hunt what they want to hunt (instead of deliberately trying to test all of the creatures they are in range to test), at best, we end up with a few players who post rank data as they progress up their hunting ladders.

In order to make any significant progress in updating rank data, we need a lot more players to contribute -- ideally going out of their way to test creatures they would not normally consider hunting.

So what about asking GMs for this data? Unfortunately, the creature data is not formatted in a way that is conducive to GMs' exporting rank ranges. We have gotten a partial list of creature levels (which I added to the relevant creature pages), but this does little more than indicate relative difficulty.

>>Teveshszat: 2) Training "caps" are definitely something that can be used, but it's just... tricky. Offensive, defensive, and stealth caps aren't always equal (or necessarily even close to each other). Plus, should the cap be when something outright stops teaching, or stops teaching well?

We use the hard cap (when it stops teaching altogether).

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/How_to_edit_a_creature_page#What_do_the_rank_ranges_mean.3F

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Hunting Ladders and Creature Data (From "First Post") 07/06/2016 05:43 PM CDT
>>We use the hard cap (when it stops teaching altogether).

I know, but I don't think that's very effective/useful information. IMO, not being able to get past 1/34 on a critter isn't really in the realm of if I can use a critter to train or not.

Along with that, as I mentioned, offense, defense, and stealth caps aren't all set at the same levels, so having one value doesn't help. While individual entries might clarify like "teaches weapons until X but stealth until Y", that information doesn't show up in any critter ladders that can be generated.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Hunting Ladders and Creature Data (From "First Post") 07/06/2016 06:14 PM CDT
Yeah I meant if we could just get the data from the GMs. If it's too hard then so be it.

It's more than just the caps. It's things such as germish din not teaching stealth at all but teaching skinning the same as warklins even though warklins are ranked above them.

I guess the flip side is it's sort of fun exploring hunting areas and finding out what works but sometimes I just want to know more details.
Re: Hunting Ladders and Creature Data (From "First Post") 07/06/2016 07:32 PM CDT
>>Yeah I meant if we could just get the data from the GMs. If it's too hard then so be it.

Potential NDAs aside, the last time I poked a few of them about it they mentioned there is no real good way to pull all the data, let alone pull it in a manner that makes it useful for elanthipedia. I think this includes the fact that critters don't have "skills" as much as they have score number... things.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.