First Post 07/01/2016 10:02 PM CDT
Hi guys,

As you know, Elanthipedia is only as useful as the colaborators (you guys)make it.

This is a place to talk about what you would like to see added. Also a place to point out the things that you feel need updating that you maybe afraid to touch. It's also the spot to find out more the drives that the Elanthipedia Moderators are hoping you can help them with.

If you are afraid to edit, or have questions on how to do things, this would also be the right spot to ask your questions.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: First Post 07/01/2016 10:06 PM CDT

Cool
Re: First Post 07/01/2016 10:09 PM CDT
"afraid to edit"

That would be me. Is there an 'Elanthipedia for Dummies'? I've never edited, and every time I see something that needs correction I say "Gee, I wish I knew how to fix that," but never find out.
Re: First Post 07/01/2016 10:57 PM CDT
> That would be me. Is there an 'Elanthipedia for Dummies'? I've never edited, and every time I see something that needs correction I say "Gee, I wish I knew how to fix that," but never find out.

I'm sure there's an intro to wiki editing somewhere out there, but a lot of it is very simple. If you just want to change some text without adjusting formatting or anything, then:

1) Make sure you're logged in with your play.net account. Look for the login link in the top right.
2) Click the edit button at the top of the page.
3) You'll see the text of the page with a bunch of wiki code. Find the text you want to change, and replace it. For example, if you saw a page with the error "suur wine is a traditional elven drink", you would look for that sentence and replace it with "suur wine is a traditional elothean drink". Don't worry about the rest of what's going on.
4) Then scroll down and click save page.

Note: If you're worried whether or not you did it right, click show preview to see if it looks right before saving.

Note2: Do not click "this is a minor edit" if you're making any sort of factual change, even one as small the example I gave above. If you're not sure what constitutes a minor edit, then just leave it unchecked.

Note3: If you're making a bunch of changes to the same page, please make them all at once and then click save page at the end; it's easier on the server than lots of little saves.
Re: First Post 07/01/2016 11:24 PM CDT
Thank you so much. You made it so simple to understand! I really appreciate it.
Re: First Post 07/02/2016 01:23 AM CDT
There's a page here with pictures (by popular request) on how to edit creature pages as well: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/How_to_edit_a_creature_page

A lot of that works for all the other page types, like how to sign your comments on talk pages (please do this), or enter stuff on a form.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: First Post 07/02/2016 02:47 AM CDT
>>Dredded: Thank you so much. You made it so simple to understand! I really appreciate it.

And if you have any specific questions, feel free to post here or ask a moderator.

List of moderators: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=Special%3AListUsers&username=&group=sysop&limit=100

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: First Post 07/02/2016 07:57 AM CDT

How are the spell trees set up? It seems like a static image with hotspots, but how are they built?
Re: First Post 07/02/2016 08:03 AM CDT
Hi,

Alla yas Stop jumpin in my threads, start your own subjects. Sheesh :)

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: First Post 07/02/2016 09:29 AM CDT
the most helpful thing to me would be updated teaching ranges on the critters. I'm not sure if that's what the purpose of this board is for or is in scope. I don't have the numbers either. And more specific numbers on what skills they teach.
Re: First Post 07/06/2016 11:27 AM CDT
>>the most helpful thing to me would be updated teaching ranges on the critters. I'm not sure if that's what the purpose of this board is for or is in scope. I don't have the numbers either. And more specific numbers on what skills they teach.

IMO, there are two tricky things with this:

1) There is no real teaching "floor", it always super subjective and the data could easily be "wrong" if someone has higher masteries, stats, etc, in relation to whatever they're training.
2) Training "caps" are definitely something that can be used, but it's just... tricky. Offensive, defensive, and stealth caps aren't always equal (or necessarily even close to each other). Plus, should the cap be when something outright stops teaching, or stops teaching well?

I know that the current GM-tools out there can't exactly accomplish what I'm hoping, partially because the way critters are set up there isn't an explicit "teaches until Y" manner, but it would be nice if the GMs could eventually have a way to just export the data that better translates into what critters can teach until for offense, defense, and stealth (I don't think there are any other skills that would have to be considered).

But that's a much bigger project. I'm not personally a fan of asking players to tweak their stances and math out things after repeatedly appraising critters.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: First Post 07/10/2016 09:37 PM CDT
>>Alla yas Stop jumpin in my threads, start your own subjects. Sheesh :)

But we love you! :)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: First Post 07/11/2016 02:45 PM CDT
Ok this is driving me crazy, why is this folder NEVER marked as read for me? I have tried everything I can think of and yet it keeps popping up as new. It is the only folder that does this for me and I think it is because it is new. I don't want to ignore it, but I don't know what else to do.

Very frustrating.
Re: First Post 07/20/2016 12:52 PM CDT
Ok this has become incredibly annoying - I have marked as read, clicked ignore and this DR Wiki thread keeps coming up as new! Anyone have a tip on how to fix this?
Re: First Post 07/20/2016 03:52 PM CDT
I had a similar thing happen a month ago or so for a thread in another folder where it spawned two copies of itself that couldn't be marked as read.

I posted about it in General Discussions // Forums Support and got a response that it had been passed to onsite tech. About 3 weeks after the issue went away, although I still don't know if they did anything or it just fixed itself.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: First Post 07/20/2016 08:45 PM CDT

They did stuff.

I sent this on to the Onsite staff as it's not anything 'we' handle. When they take a look at it, it'll get resolved.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

Re: First Post 07/21/2016 01:39 AM CDT
Thanks very much!
Re: First Post 08/04/2016 10:50 AM CDT
So....just popping in to let you know that this is still not fixed.
Re: First Post 12/13/2016 11:09 AM CST
So, four months later and I am still getting every single post in this folder, I guess nothing was ever done to "fix" it?
Re: First Post 12/13/2016 12:08 PM CST

I've talked to onsite, I'm not certain why you're 'stuck' with this folder. I'll reach out again.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

Re: First Post 12/13/2016 06:49 PM CST
Sorry about that BLAYD,

I've been digging at the code that controls the "read" of a particular thread, but nothing is jumping at me...do you use mobile mode to read the forums? Do you view collapsed or expanded?

-Michael
Re: First Post 12/13/2016 07:44 PM CST
I use Legacy view and do not use Mobile mode, this is on my PC. It does stick around if I change to Threaded View though.

I usually expand the page when reading, but this folder sticks around in either collapsed/expanded.

I have tried ignoring the folder to no avail.

Thanks!
Re: First Post 12/13/2016 07:58 PM CST
Okay, I thought it was the thread sticking around. The code for folders is in a different place, so I'll look at that later tonight.

-Michael
Re: First Post 12/13/2016 08:20 PM CST
Found the issue and fixed it for you, BLAYD...you should be good to go now.

Now to go write a maintenance script to prevent that from happening again...

-Michael
Re: First Post 12/13/2016 08:42 PM CST

Thank you, Michael.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor