Here we go 12/15/2009 01:26 AM CST
I wrote this over the past week out of boredom, and I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to hear peoples thoughts on it. I tried to make it a pretty short read, didnt want to prattle on about stuff that people might not care about or might not be actual fact. Please let me know if you think any of this violates current IG lore. Its written from the POV of my Rakash Bard.

Yeah, really I just hope you like it. Thanks in advance for reading.

A Study on Historical Rakash Styles and Traditions
By: Research Writer Malakye Agustawne of the Augstawne Girene Dzirta

Introduction:

Let me begin by stating that it is not the intention of this writer to segregate or separate the various Rakash from their kin or from other Rakash in general. This study was undertaken with the intention of simply documenting the attire and appearance of our people for future generations. It is only though hard work and many discussions with tight-lipped elders, whom like to either forget or colorfully embellish the subtle facts which I desired, that I was able to gather enough information to put this study forth for publishing.

It is my opinion that this study is, in fact, long overdue. With many of our most skilled researchers and authors lost to us we are left to shoulder this task on our own. The former traditions of vocally recounting the facts one gained in their lifespan to an upcoming youth is over. It is through these written pages that I feel we will leave our new mark upon these lands.

So without further fluffing on my part, I present my study to you.

The Beginning:

In the beginning, according to some, all Rakash lived together before laying claim to the territories of the West. This time was known as “Liakret del Vawn”, or the “Time of One”, which was titled as such to represent the one pack which all Rakash were a part of at that time. Some scholars among our people believe that “The Time of One” refers to a period of time before Katamba was made black; others feel that it was after.

Because of this debate in timeframe, two schools of thought seem to have sprung forth about the actual appearance of the ancestral Rakash peoples. In one school, you have those who feel that this was when the Rakash retained their moonskin permanently and that at that time all Rakash had black or brown coats. While in the other school, it is believed that we were recently afflicted with our change and were in a dark period with no moonskin at all. It’s thought at this time we were all of fair tone with dark hair and eyes. This author feels it is important to note that few scholars who held this belief were vocal about it; many listeners would consider it an outright lie and absolute heresy. Those who did speak out about it were quickly branded as social outcasts and given the title of “Backwards Student” which means Backwards Student.

It is unclear what ended “The Time of One” only that many Rakash began to split away from the larger group, forming smaller groups of their own. As the groups made their split from the larger, they began to spread across the territories. Settling for a variety of reasons in one place or another and becoming the unique packs which once made up the homeland. Those who were “Backwards Students” credit this event to the return of moonskin to the Rakash people. Citing the renewed strength of our people as the primary reason which drove them to seek adventure outside of the “One Pack”, “Backwards Students” have used this as a pivotal argument in their research.

Despite the varying opinions as to when it took place, there is little debate over weather or not it actually did take place. All believe that “The Time of One” was a historical fact, weather it was a golden age or a dark one remains to be proven. Following “The Time of One” was a period of adjustment, where many packs worked to establish their dominion over the new lands which they claimed. In fact, there were so many packs which I was able to discover that in order to document them all and speak about them one by one; I would need to write a series of novels. So, in trade, I have decided to focus on them by location only.

The People of Ordcuru:

Those who chose to make home and reside in the great Rakash city known as Ordcuru eventually came to carry distinguishing marks of their own. This is believed to have been a product of breeding and mating within the various packs of the city. As those who made their homes elsewhere became further separated from the packs of Ordcuru, they became more notably different in both attire and appearance.

Rakash of the city often wore light, billowy odaj’s of exotic silks. Also many chose to adorn themselves with bright jewelry and accessories. Their bodies were smaller in size compared to their outdoorsy cousins with light skin complexion and light coats. Because of the constant mixing of the packs, various markings and masks were commonplace as were tail conditions. However, almost all would wear their hair either short or tied when not in their moonskin and often had softer features then those of the other regions.

Being that the city was the only location for one to visit a guildhall, many found themselves forced to go there sooner or later. Whether or not they chose to stay and make home was a personal decision. However, it is documented that exiles from the further regions did come to reside in the city. Remaining in the city would also mean they were met with hostility when visitors from their former home would cross their paths. It was for this reason that a public arena was built inside the city walls, so that these conflicts may play out there and not on the streets.

The People of the Mountains:

Dark in coat and in skin tone, the mountainous Rakash packs were often guff and uncompromising, much like the environments they choose to live in. Heavy odaj’s crafted from thick hides lined with warm furs were the standard garb, as were heavy rantjia’s and nauda. Being mostly hunters and foragers, the people of the mountains were known for their skills with both spears and blades. Their strong features and tall frame, coupled with their loosely worn hair when not in moonskin, make them a humorous contrast to many of the other packs.

Laying claim over a vast territory, these packs were highly respected for the fine furs which they brought for trading. The method of choosing a home and expanding it became a tradition for the Rakash of the mountain. Often they would find a natural cave, adequate enough for one person, and begin working with picks and hammers to expand the area to house multiple persons. During this expansion they often found precious gems or minerals which were either fashioned into family heirlooms, or traded to those of the city. Both of these ventures brought great profit to the Rakash of the mountain territories.

Products of harsh winds and unforgiving sun, the mountain packs were some of the few confirmed survivors of the exodus to the East despite losing many of their number in the final battles. Many of the survivors whom spoke with me would tell stories of how the mountain Rakash fought with spear and shield until the Gods themselves asked them to leave. And they did so, with heavy heart and hung head.

The People of the Forest:

Only in the deepest parts of the woods would you find the Rakash packs of the forest. Their favored method of building large dens under the forest floor kept many of their number hidden until the coming of Lyras. Their brindled coats, and dark masks allow them a perfect measure of camouflage when moving amongst the towering trees. Their small stature, the smallest of the Rakash people, allowed them a noticeable ease of movement among the new growth and deadfall.

Choosing to adorn their bodies with only natural plant fibers, the Rakash of the forests were eclectic in their styling. Odaj’s woven from nothing but grasses, nauda affixed with bark soles, and even bracelets of braided berry vines were commonplace among these people. Additionally, the Rakash of the forest would weave locks of moss into their hair as decoration often leading to a small measure of parasite infestation.

Valued for their knowledge of numerous flora and fauna, the people of the forest rarely took to open combat. Their reclusive lifestyle ultimately would be their undoing, as many decided to remain in their forest home rather then leave with the others in exodus. It is believed that they have become some of the many victims of Lyras and now serve in her dark army.

The People of the Plains:

The people of the plains are often such a mish-mash of all the various packs that it is hard to indentify a particular feature which was common amongst all of them. Sometimes they were agents of a pack, sent to oversee trade or acquire goods. Or even still, some may have been exiles from other packs. Regardless, the population of Rakash in the plains outnumbered many of the other areas, making them one of the strongest forces albeit one of the most unorganized as well.

They almost always wore plain clothing, choosing simple cotton or wool garments suitable for working in. Many of the greatest craftsmen and women came from the plains, so it was not uncommon to see them wearing tool belts or containers for their work. Like with many of the packs, the knowledge of ones craft was passed through the family so that it could be improved and hopefully perfected by the next generation. Because of this, the tools used by the crafter were typically family heirlooms which had been in use for generations.

Rakash of the plains did not often gather in large packs like those of the other regions. Instead, they would form smaller family units of 3-4 couples and reside in a single dwelling. Using stone and timber to create sturdy longhouses, often the largest structures visible as you cross the plains, many families would be able to live comfortably amongst each other without invasion of private spaces.

The Rakash of the plains ended up proving the strength of their numbers during the fight with Lyras, with many of their people serving as loyal soldiers to commanders from other packs. It is believed that the greatest number of survivors who made the journey East came from the plains, though with many of us left without knowledge of our history one could argue that regardless of origin we are all plains Rakash now either by breeding or by instruction.

The People of the Desert:

With what little bounty already claimed by the Prydaen and their hubs, many Rakash limited themselves to brief visitation to these areas if at all. No packs of note claimed these lands as residence so little information was available at the time of this writing.

It is the belief of this author that there were packs in the desert regions, though their isolation and infrequent appearance led to a small measure of debate over their actual existence. However, amongst the packs, sending an exile to the desert was not unheard of. So, the possibility of exiles forming a pack of their own on the sands would not be too far to stretch the imagination.

Although many rumors were said to have originated from this territory I personally did not feel they were worth noting here. One such rumor claimed that a pack of Dark Rakash lived in the desert and constantly fought with Prydaens, another says that Lyras’ was there corrupting whomever crossed her path and making them the first of her army. This author chooses to dismiss those claims as groundless fears from a traumatized race.

Others:

From what I understand, there have been various “lone wolf” type packs. Some who are either nomadic in nature or others who are simply so reclusive that it is unknown if they are pure myth or actual fact. In this section of my study I would like to address those rumors and add my own thoughts about them. From my research, there are only three packs of this type whose legends have survived to these days. I will write about them individually as to not leave out any details.

The “Valta kads Vawn” or “white ones”, were a pack rumored to be comprised of nothing but albino Rakash. However, since this author has yet to find someone who has ever seen an albino Rakash I am quick to dismiss this as one of many rumors I’ve heard in my travels. Regardless, it was said that these Rakash were able to control their shifts in and out of moonskin. Not only that, but they were also rumored to have a direct connection with our gods and were often used as avatars for them to act through. Both of these facts, I find very hard to believe.

The “kads Rezonis” or “savages”, is a legend which I find not to be such a big stretch of imagination. The story is that a pack of Rakash traveled to each of the regions, and found that they had all been claimed by the others. Seeking to join with them, they attempted to buy their way into each of the other packs by offering their never ending loyalty to the ones whom would accept them. Unwelcomed by any of the packs, the “raiders” turned on the others choosing to make their way by taking whatever they wanted from the others and living a nomadic life skirting around the borders.

The “Gudrs un Slaveniva” or “wise and worthy”, is another legend like the “white ones” where all of the facts are shrouded in myth and story. Apparently, small groups of Rakash were so conflicted over the loss of moonskin that they forced themselves into seclusion from all external contact. Finding home on a small island far to the West, the “wise and worthy” chose to live lives of simple gratification in the joys of the land and shun the sciences which they believed led them to their damnation in the first place. I think that it’s important to note that if this is in fact truth, that proof would be hard to find given the nature of this pack. That task is made even more difficult with the exodus removing us from the area.

Conclusion:

It is my feeling that your origin has little to do with who you are as a person, while knowing where you may come from is a comforting feeling it will do little to tell you where you are going. It is my hope that after reading this study, you will have opened your eyes to new possibilities which may lie at your feet. It was not my intention for you, the reader, to use this study as guide for how you should live or life; only to show you the many ways how you could live your life. Regardless if you are a Rakash or not, do remember that the world is wide open for you to experience and that it is those experiences, both good and bad, which will shape the person you are to become.

~Malakye Augstawne

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"