Climbing 02/17/2003 12:14 PM CST
With the climbing changes, none of the things to climb in Throne City teach very well. With around 170 ranks of climbing, the best I can do is pondering after climbing almost everything there is to climb. If you get a chance, think you could make things a little harder Rigby? Thanks.

-Path
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 01:48 PM CST
Have you tried the vine outside the colosseum, or are you chicken cause of the thugs? <g> That should still be the hardest thing in the city to climb... I think the Emperor's Eye climbs are too low for you.

Rigby
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 01:57 PM CST
Yes I climbed the vine. ::poke:: Heh. Refractive Field is still good for somethings. I'll retest though, wouldn't want to make you do any extra unecessary work. <g>

-Path
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 02:05 PM CST
.trench
[Press the ESCape key to abort script.]

draw scythe
go path

You draw out your midnight black scythe-blade from the leather rucksack.
[Script]>[Old Throne City, Entertainment District]
Poles stretch over the remnants of the cobbled roadway, a small reminder of the canvas awnings and street vendors that once served throngs of anxious spectators. A wide stone arch leads inside the colosseum proper, flanked on one side by a crumbling gladiator statue from days past. Even now, he continues to salute the sky with weapon in hand, a memorial not only to those who died within but to the memory of Throne City's grander times. You also see a narrow path winding southwest through the rubble.
Obvious paths: east, northwest.

[Script]>nw
[Old Throne City, Entertainment District]
The shimmering veil of illusion which hides Throne City from the rest of the world allows those within to see out, but from here only the encroaching woods of Therengia can be seen. Those forests overflowing the city's walls prove that nature is a patient planner, desiring to engulf man's fragile works completely. Even the colosseum is not completely spared from the lush greenery as a lone tangled vine trails up its surface.
Obvious paths: north, southeast.

[Script]>climb vine
Your midnight black scythe-blade makes the climb more difficult.

[Colosseum Ruins, Northern Tier]
Piles of fragmented stone and block from the partial collapse of the upper tiers show signs of having been purposely cleared, as if to make movement along the northern tier more convenient. Through the splits created as the rubble fell from above, the outside streets are visible and choked with bits of the foundations of shops and stalls. A lone tangled vine snakes its way through one of these triangular holes, twitching in the breeze like an anxious spectator awaiting entry.
Obvious exits: east, southwest.

[Script]>east
The brick and mortar barricades that partition the various seating areas have collapsed, allowing access directly to the shattered top of the arena wall. Hung overhead are a multitude of tattered tapestries, obviously recent additions as there is no way something so fragile as cloth would have survived centuries of exposure and abandonment. You also see the top of the arena wall.
Obvious exits: southeast, west.

[Script]>climb wall
[Colosseum Ruins, Combat Theater]
Once the center point of the combat yard, this part of the arena is now the northernmost section due to the collapse of the seating areas above. Protecting the spectators from the wind, rain and sun, poles supporting heavy canvas and leather now lean and hang in dreary, tattered condition. The grand view of the sky is still available, ringed on all sides by the stone of the colosseum. You also see the pitted arena wall.
Obvious paths: south, west.

[Script]>climb wall

The brick and mortar barricades that partition the various seating areas have collapsed, allowing access directly to the shattered top of the arena wall. Hung overhead are a multitude of tattered tapestries, obviously recent additions as there is no way something so fragile as cloth would have survived centuries of exposure and abandonment. You also see the top of the arena wall.
Obvious exits: southeast, west.

[Script]>west
Piles of fragmented stone and block from the partial collapse of the upper tiers show signs of having been purposely cleared, as if to make movement along the northern tier more convenient. Through the splits created as the rubble fell from above, the outside streets are visible and choked with bits of the foundations of shops and stalls. A lone tangled vine snakes its way through one of these triangular holes, twitching in the breeze like an anxious spectator awaiting entry.
Obvious exits: east, southwest.

[Script]>climb vine

The shimmering veil of illusion which hides Throne City from the rest of the world allows those within to see out, but from here only the encroaching woods of Therengia can be seen. Those forests overflowing the city's walls prove that nature is a patient planner, desiring to engulf man's fragile works completely. Even the colosseum is not completely spared from the lush greenery as a lone tangled vine trails up its surface.
Obvious paths: north, southeast.

[Script]>se
Poles stretch over the remnants of the cobbled roadway, a small reminder of the canvas awnings and street vendors that once served throngs of anxious spectators. A wide stone arch leads inside the colosseum proper, flanked on one side by a crumbling gladiator statue from days past. Even now, he continues to salute the sky with weapon in hand, a memorial not only to those who died within but to the memory of Throne City's grander times. You also see a narrow path winding southwest through the rubble.
Obvious paths: east, northwest.

[Script]>go path
[Old Throne City, Magic District]
Towering over the ruins is the colosseum to the north, impressively bulky and mostly standing while all the tallest remains of wizard towers are mere slivers pointed skyward. Several small trenches run parallel with the abandoned roadway, some cordoned off with small posts and yellow-dyed string. A few rusted and useless tools remain, abandoned next to the excavation site. You also see a sluggish Shadow Servant and a narrow path winding through the rubble towards the colosseum.
Also here: Delvan and Telepath Yavus.
Obvious paths: south.

[Script]>sheath
release

[Script finished!]
>You place your midnight black scythe-blade in the leather rucksack.
You release the mana you were holding.
The refractive field surrounding you fades away.
You aren't preparing a spell.
Type RELEASE HELP for more options.

Climbing when I started - Climbing: 170 99.88% clear
Climbing when I was finished - Climbing: 170 99.88% thoughtful
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 02:29 PM CST
Yeah, I saw you go past when I was checking the vine. <g> I was tempted to make fun of you or something but held myself back.

Right now, the vine is set for twice as difficult as the top ladder in the observatory. I confirmed that even after the climbing changes, the range of skill in Throne City is a pretty good spread. The hardest climb is a bit beneath you, however, so I think you'll have to settle for waiting until the next batch of releases or something.

<jots a note>

Rigby
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 02:35 PM CST
you know Rigby...you could remedy all this by allowing us to climb up that tower in full-grown angiswaerds. GRIN
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 02:39 PM CST
>>you could remedy all this by allowing us to climb up that tower in full-grown angiswaerds.<<

Heh. Good idea, actually. Still going to have to wait for a "batch" release, tho. <g>

Rigby
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 02:43 PM CST
<Heh. Good idea, actually. Still going to have to wait for a "batch" release, tho. <g>>

til the spring? noooooooooooooooooooooo <dies>
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 03:00 PM CST
That's cool. I guess I can wait. <g>

Thanks for investigating.

-Path
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 05:23 PM CST
Hey Pathian you do know holding a weapon doesn't help any more? Also the climbing timer is a lot shorter... so if you are making thet whole circut do it again in a minute. With about 131 climbing I can get to I think it was V. Muddled with two or three trips up the telescope (With a minute between trips or so which seems to be the timer).

And while your active and responding Rigby... any chance we could get a bit more varity in swimming and so forth in Throne? And more foraging areas... just more survival training in general particullarly with our new reqs. TC use to be my swimming and climbing heaven until the changes to both skills... and now I'm facing braving Aesry to train the two of them... <shudders>. Of course... Su Helmas...

-Mozzik
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 05:43 PM CST
Yeah I know. I just haven't updated my script since the climbing changes. Laziness thy name is Pathian.

More excavation sites would be ideal with that next release by the way. The more lore and survival options the better. And if you're feeling nice, maybe a turtle between Throne and Shard? Heh. I won't hold my breath.

-Path
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 05:47 PM CST
heh i remember when i first figured out the excavation site and Rigby must have been watching because an archaelogist passed by, called me and zelion (i think it was zel) amatuers and then we heard his cries as he was eaten by an angiswaerd.
Re: Climbing 02/17/2003 06:06 PM CST
Heh. Malzard and I were there digging so much Rigby made me a handpick hut and Malzard a shovel hovel. Or something to that affect. Either way it was amusing <g>.
Re: Climbing 02/18/2003 04:11 PM CST
>>>any chance we could get a bit more varity in swimming and so forth in Throne? And more foraging areas...<<<

Both in the works (next batch). Including some more hunting.

>>>More excavation sites would be ideal with that next release by the way.<<<

I dunno if that will get in the next batch; the next areas aren't really suitable for a new trench. We'll see.

>>>maybe a turtle between Throne and Shard? Heh. I won't hold my breath.<<<

HAHAHAHA!

Rigby
Re: Climbing 02/18/2003 04:13 PM CST
>>>maybe a turtle between Throne and Shard? Heh. I won't hold my breath.<<<
HAHAHAHA!
Rigby

Is that a maybe?
:snuggle:
Both Pathian and I are in agreement here.
We can always steal Las's and Gylwyn's Grahzir Shards.

~Kelvena
Climbing in TC 08/28/2003 06:11 PM CDT
Hey... thinking about moving back to TC sometime relativly soon... anyone know how much climbing you need for the tree down in the boars? How about the hardest parts of thugs (Not that I wouldn't get bolted but eh... looking at options). Also how does that bath house teach swimming now days? 113 swimming and kinda stuck on it and really want to pull it up...

-Mozzik

Talian says, "Looks like I'm a ..gypsy at the moment I think."
Talian whispers, "Because gypsies really are the best."
Re: Climbing 07/29/2007 03:20 PM CDT
It's interesting reading all these old posts from people like Mozzik, Soim, Laros, GM Rigby (I sure do miss him) and a couple folks that have since become GMs (so I won't mention their names). Anyways, I read this one and thought it was pretty funny. This should be permanent room messaging, happens once a day or something:

>>heh i remember when i first figured out the excavation site and Rigby must have been watching because an archaelogist passed by, called me and zelion (i think it was zel) amatuers and then we heard his cries as he was eaten by an angiswaerd.

Legendary Thief Kraelyst the Hand

"The day is for honest men, the night for thieves."
-- Euripides

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke