Prev_page Previous 1
Ideas? 07/20/2012 08:50 AM CDT
So I'm not really the area owner for Throne City right now, but the Moon Mage Guild has a lot of historical ties to the city and I'm working on a few other projects in the area, so I figure I'll start a little brainstorming session.

What do you want to see in Throne City? The projects I'm working on already include high level hunting and a healer, so don't worry about those two.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 09:43 AM CDT
1.a place for MMs to circle <guildhall?> perhaps with T. himself?

2.stat training

3.sect halls for every sect. heritage and tezirite are already there, but it would be nice to have reps in MM central. And g'nar peth really needs more than just a room with a shop.

4. when enchanting 3.0 goes live, one of those craft halls there.

5. pilferable shops.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 10:01 AM CDT
The Arcadius Sector.

Moon Mage access to the museum at night.

I feel like the arts and beauty were a big part of the Empire so maybe a theatre or a park.

A few more shops would be nice, maybe one that sells replicas of Imperial-style weapons or clothing.

Mining. All that stone had to come from somewhere.

My song "Imperial Glory" to be made into a song scroll and sold somewhere in Throne. (You are Bard person now too afterall.)

In case you haven't heard it...

"Imperial Glory
In memory of The Empire of the Seven-Pointed Star
A song written and performed by myself - Coralin Mayfair, Imperial Fateweaver."

"The roads of Throne are blank and grey
A meager shadow of the glory days.
People are gone, the buildings decay
The knowledge and wonder long gone away."

"Travel back in your minds eye
Imagine what was in days gone by.
Towering spires - palaces grand
Wiped away by time's cruel hand."

"Nine hundred and eight the year before
Lanival redeemed and saved our shores
The Empire began, new hope sprung forth
The races united, ajoined in the north."

"The Empire's gem, Throne City it stood
Ruling the land and keeping the good.
Sharing the Throne the races of seven
Their symbol a star as those in the heavens."

"Moliko's Codex governed, policed.
While the Empire spread -
North, West, South, and East.
Academia flourished, achievements were grand,
While sorcery was outlawed, punished and banned."

"Tezirah was hunted, finally killed
The guilds began forming, after blood had been spilled.
Progress continues as it's wont to do
The end of an era begins right on cue."

"Rioting starts, the populace dejected
Emperor Klyudor fights, but nothing's corrected.
Decay only worsens, the end ever-nearer
Visible to all, as a reflection in a mirror."

"Two thirty nine Lord Teiro attacks
Everyone had left, Regent Seylan was lax.
The time of Chaos begins and the Empire falls
Lanival rallies, some hear his calls.

"After the war the Imperial land was divided.
Five provinces created and left to be guided
By Ferdahls and Barons and even a Prince
And thus how the realms have been ruled ever since."

"Throne City abandoned lay silent and still
Reclaimed by the Moon Mage, rebuilt by our will.
A shell or a husk of it's former splendor
The lunar guild became it's lone defender."

"Protected by magic and hidden away
Shrouded by mists near Faldesu's spray.
The gem of Throne City patiently waits
For its precious turn to be risen by fate."

"Now those that still dwell here are lone scholars and thieves
They roam the stark quiet walking streets strewn with leaves.
Lost in the ruins or hidden in trees
You may feel their presence or it could be the breeze."

"History, magic, and lore at arm's length
Read the lunar accord and see the guild's strength.
Y'shai will protect you as you roam the roads
Witness in awe what time can't erode."

"A new day shall dawn for Throne once again
The streets will be filled with women and men.
Imperial Glory shall never expire
Its legacy lives on as one we admire."

"Remember the Empire its knowledge and might
Restore what once was, and learn from its plight."

I'll brainstorm some more. Don't worry.

-Coralin
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 10:11 AM CDT
All thieves(Guilded or non-guilded) caught stealing in Thrown city and shops should be gated to Ratha.
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 10:14 AM CDT
The Imperial Highway to Darkstone would be nice. Dangerous and fairly survival skill intensive of course.

-Coralin
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 10:15 AM CDT
>>1.a place for MMs to circle <guildhall?> perhaps with T. himself?

Possible, but unlikely. That's a fair bit of work for not a lot of gain. At any rate Taramaine wouldn't be a guildleader, he has bigger fish to fry.

>>2.stat training

That tends to be reserved for larger cities.

>>3.sect halls for every sect. heritage and tezirite are already there, but it would be nice to have reps in MM central. And g'nar peth really needs more than just a room with a shop.

No.

>>And g'nar peth really needs more than just a room with a shop.

I agree, but that's a whole separate project unrelated to Throne.

>>4. when enchanting 3.0 goes live, one of those craft halls there.

I do like this idea.

>>5. pilferable shops.

Which means justice. Which is something else on my list for Throne, though I didn't mention it since I haven't proposed it yet to the powers that be (Since it only joined my list like 12 hours ago...)

>>The Arcadius Sector.

I'm drawing a blank. Was that the upper class housing area?

>>Moon Mage access to the museum at night.

As in to look around, or as in to steal?

>>I feel like the arts and beauty were a big part of the Empire so maybe a theatre or a park.

Interesting idea.

>>A few more shops would be nice, maybe one that sells replicas of Imperial-style weapons or clothing.

Feels a little more touristy to me. What other kinds of shops would people like to see?

>>Mining. All that stone had to come from somewhere.

Yeah... it came from somewhere and ended up there. That's what barges are for :P (Actually I have a very half baked idea that might be able to squeeze in mining, but it's nothing immediate).

>>My song "Imperial Glory" to be made into a song scroll and sold somewhere in Throne.

Ugh, I'm going to regret this because I've looked at the song scroll system and it makes me sob big fat fears of pain, but email me that @ my play.net? That way I can stash it with the other "To do" projects if I ever brave that system again.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 10:17 AM CDT
>>The Imperial Highway to Darkstone would be nice. Dangerous and fairly survival skill intensive of course.

That's been on the "to do" list forever and ever and ever. IIRC it's like half done? I think Icuria was going to work on it when she took over Throne City. I'll have to check with her what the status of it is.

>>All thieves(Guilded or non-guilded) caught stealing in Thrown city and shops should be gated to Ratha.

You are far too merciful.

-Raesh

Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 10:22 AM CDT
>>>>All thieves(Guilded or non-guilded) caught stealing in Thrown city and shops should be gated to Ratha.

>>You are far too merciful.

I was going to suggest The Ways...

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 10:25 AM CDT
just give it the same penalty as those caught in the museum ever get. <you're put in a prison barge to riverhaven. Guilded sometimes get "rescued" by fades boys, but the rescue is anything but pleasant. <you are beat just about to death and end up sitting next to fade, from which you have to figure out how to run through thugs without either falling to your death or getting a bolt to the eye from the thugs>

i'd like to see some areas retain their quality of lawlessness <critter areas, etc>.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 10:51 AM CDT
>>Feels a little more touristy to me. What other kinds of shops would people like to see?

Dahl Aeliy Provisions and Wares already sells some archaeological supplies, but I wouldn't mind seeing an expansion on that. Maybe a shop that sells clothing and some themed containers? Hats to protect from the sun, rugged clothing, an 'artifact case' or something like that...

Possibly a shady person (in or near the Alley Thugs area?) that sells stuff looted from the dig sites. Jewelry, trinkets, small works of art or items of historical interest, that kind of thing.
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 11:20 AM CDT
>>I feel like the arts and beauty were a big part of the Empire so maybe a theatre or a park.

I know it's not terribly Moon Mage-y, but I've always had a fondness for the city since Gor'Tog's built a lot of it. It's silly, but it would be nice to have some random examples of architechure around the city that you can LOOK at and I can point to.

>LOOK ROAD
Built of interlocking stone, time has not been kind to it, yet it's superb construction has let it weather the ages.

>LOOK COLUMN
Cut from white marble and still several stories tall, the lower part of this work of stone is covered in scratched messages so thickly that they have become indecypherable.

Just small things like that.

>Dahl Aeliy Provisions and Wares already sells some archaeological supplies, but I wouldn't mind seeing an expansion on that. Maybe a shop that sells clothing and some themed containers? Hats to protect from the sun, rugged clothing, an 'artifact case' or something like that...

I would love to see expansions to the archiology dig system. Maybe very rare items, like one use instructions for forging Imperial weapons (doesn't even have to be different stats!). I'd love to see more variety of items, some items that give more history, such as cameos of famous people or the like.

>Possibly a shady person (in or near the Alley Thugs area?) that sells stuff looted from the dig sites. Jewelry, trinkets, small works of art or items of historical interest, that kind of thing.

Actually, why not the reverse, someone that buys them? Seems like you'd buy them where they're common, and sell them where they're rare.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 11:31 AM CDT
Your song was absolutely amazing Coralin!

+1

Dierik

To be fair, I've always privately characterized Burn as an orbital death laser. Armifer
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 11:34 AM CDT
>>Maybe very rare items, like one use instructions for forging Imperial weapons (doesn't even have to be different stats!).

That would rock.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 12:04 PM CDT
I've actually already got approval to dig into the archaeology system for another project. How much will spill into Throne City?

I dunno.

But making rare finds possible (they aren't really with the current system) is definitely in the plan.

-Raesh

Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 12:16 PM CDT
>>But making rare finds possible (they aren't really with the current system) is definitely in the plan.

I know this is a kinda subjective statement, but as you're tweaking the archaeology system, can you make the "regular" items have a bit of value behind them?

For example, I think being able to find some tiles you can juggle is awesome, but unless I plan to sell a few dozen to other players, there's very little point for me to want to hold onto more than one set for myself.

So when the system gets revamped, being able to turn in items as a money making thing (or more!) would be fun. Otherwise I feel like they'll just get dug up and discarded, which seems unfair payout-wise given how most other "do actions to train/gain money" systems work.

Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 01:54 PM CDT
I will echo the suggestion for expanded archaeology. This system has always seemed so neat and TC seems to me like the perfect place for it.

>>can you make the "regular" items have a bit of value behind them?

This is really important. I can't tell you what a psychological barrier it is to me (and many) to have to discard something that seems neat. I hate doing that. Even if tossing it to an NPC only netted me a few silver, I'd rather do that.

To go along with it, I also like the idea of a shop selling good gear for archaeological digs. And tool templates inserted into the Blacksmithing discipline would be cool (special brushes, picks, etc.).

The other major thing I'd like to see, along with the Enchanting society, would be a lot more enchanting gear, perhaps rarer things than seen elsewhere.

Oh and finally, I realized you said high level hunting -- what about lower level hunting? TC is of great interest to scholarly characters, and they are often lower level.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 02:39 PM CDT
I have a few thoughts for Throne City:

1) A telescope repair shop

2) It was mentioned above, but a Justice system would seem to be a good idea both for playability and in-game story.

3) Liven up the Council Chambers in the Imperial Palace. Two thoughts--
a) A series Gweths fixed to either the wall or some manner of pedestal that would allow you to "speak" with one of the various provinces by holding them
b) A gate, historically used to open to a various places around the realms. But as the controls have long been forgotten, it sends you to one of a variety of random locations

4) A nice pub
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 06:36 PM CDT
Places to climb. I commonly find myself having to leave Throne City because I can't find anyplace to climb. Newbs can get some climbing practice on the trelis and inside thugs (if I'm feeling suicidal), but that doesn't last long. While Zakuro and Pheer can't find a thing in the 300-450 range.

Looking into the future when swimming and climbing combine into outdoorsmanship, there's relatively little save the swimming in caimen and crocs.

Nikpack
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 08:43 PM CDT
>I'm drawing a blank. Was that the upper class housing area?

Yup. If you go east of the slope that heads to the barge you're at the bridge that leads over there. It's where all the council members supposedly lived as well. Taramaine's Manor could be something fun for us to be able to visit.

>As in to look around, or as in to steal?

Steal. If I can't circle based on my Thievery I want to be able to rape the guild....and get gweth stones. Really, it's more about getting gweth stones.

>Feels a little more touristy to me. What other kinds of shops would people like to see?

Any shop that would bring more traffic to the area really. Something niche and interesting. Maybe something that rotates like Ilaya Taipa's Harbor Shops...based on what's been excavated recently. Divination tools.

>Yeah... it came from somewhere and ended up there. That's what barges are for :P (Actually I have a very half baked idea that might be able to squeeze in mining, but it's nothing immediate).

Yay.

Someone also mentioned something about gweths that would let you listen in on different "zones", I liked that, but I wouldn't mind having goldcaps rent out even more services. Like Shadewatch Mirror services or something.

-Coralin
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 08:47 PM CDT
I was also thinking about ancient cities in general when I was coming home from work.

Most have extensive graveyards, tombs, catacombs and such. Undead hunting perhaps? There's also other potential for a lot of underground stuff in general. Maybe even a passage under the Faldesu.

-Coralin
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 09:16 PM CDT
>>can you make the "regular" items have a bit of value behind them?

Maybe, but I'm a little leery of a zero risk system having too much reliable reward.

>>To go along with it, I also like the idea of a shop selling good gear for archaeological digs. And tool templates inserted into the Blacksmithing discipline would be cool (special brushes, picks, etc.).

Maybe.

>>The other major thing I'd like to see, along with the Enchanting society, would be a lot more enchanting gear, perhaps rarer things than seen elsewhere

We'll talk after Enchanting is a thing.

>>what about lower level hunting?

It already has a smattering of what I'd consider lower level hunting. Is there a level range in particular you feel it is lacking?

>>1) A telescope repair shop

Don't we have that?

>>2) It was mentioned above, but a Justice system would seem to be a good idea both for playability and in-game story.

Yup.

>>3) Liven up the Council Chambers in the Imperial Palace.

Council members don't tend to share their toys.

>>Looking into the future when swimming and climbing combine into outdoorsmanship, there's relatively little save the swimming in caimen and crocs.

I'll keep that in mind when working on new areas.

>>Most have extensive graveyards, tombs, catacombs and such. Undead hunting perhaps? There's also other potential for a lot of underground stuff in general. Maybe even a passage under the Faldesu.

No comment.

-Raesh

Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 09:40 PM CDT
http://elanthipedia.org/w/images/0/02/TC_Official.gif

Palatial Horse Stalls could be neat if they have their own special breed.

-Coralin
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 09:45 PM CDT
speaking of shady personna - someone who buys box trap components would be good. putting 'em in one of the passages would be awesome.

/---
Leucius
Re: Ideas? 07/20/2012 11:58 PM CDT
>Places to climb. I commonly find myself having to leave Throne City because I can't find anyplace to climb. Newbs can get some climbing practice on the trelis and inside thugs (if I'm feeling suicidal), but that doesn't last long. While Zakuro and Pheer can't find a thing in the 300-450 range.

>Looking into the future when swimming and climbing combine into outdoorsmanship, there's relatively little save the swimming in caimen and crocs.

>Nikpack

There is a tree out in Boars that you can practice climbing on. I don't think it's in the 300-450 range, but it's definitely harder than the trellis is. Also, there is a bathhouse that you can swim in that teaches farther than the waters in crocs and caiman, but it's been a long long time since I lived in TC, so I can't give exact teaching ranges. Might be worth looking into at least.

-Master Ndin
Re: Ideas? 07/21/2012 01:29 AM CDT
>>Is there a level range in particular you feel it is lacking?

I'm not sure really because I don't know the area that well. But I was thinking right down to the very lowest levels. Anything in the 0-200 range would be good though, I think.

It just seems like a neat place to bring Moon Mage apprentices and other light-combat scholarly people. To be honest, I'm a little surprised that it's geared more toward uber hard critters than the lower end (though I can understand it from a lore perspective).

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Ideas? 07/22/2012 08:40 AM CDT
Citizenship.

-Artificer Nilassa

You notice Kssarh trying to remain hidden while speaking.
You hear the voice of Kssarh say, "Slackers."
Re: Ideas? 07/22/2012 08:43 PM CDT
>Citizenship.

OMG yes.

-Coralin
Re: Ideas? 07/23/2012 12:42 AM CDT
citizenship could probably be coded the same way as velakan citizenship is coded. You could join in TC, but pay dues in the rest of Therengia.

/---
Leucius
Re: Ideas? 07/23/2012 01:16 PM CDT
If you start thinking Citizenship then maybe slowly start building TC into an actual working city again... its had (IG wise) supposedly years and years of rebuilding going on. So like someone said slowly start bringing in things like stat trainers, vaults, etc. Doesnt need to be a sudden explosion of new stuff but I think it would be amazing to see it eventually become a bit more like it used to be (lore wise), or at least become populated. It always kills me to see it so empty every time Im up there.

Specific things Id like to see:
- An actual Moon Mage shop akin to Griniel's Cottage that the War Mages have. I love some of the Guild themed stores floating around and while I know we have the sect shops, most of us can only access one. And they are pretty bare in their offerings.
- I love the enchanting halls ideas for when enchanting hits. Im sure Xathvier would love starting a full blown hall.
- I liked the idea of having a Moon Mage guild hall. Certainly doesnt need to be Taramaine teaching but you would think that with TC being a Moon Mage power base that we would be teaching new mages there... sort of a Moon Mage jedi temple. Thats how I always envisioned it anyhow.
- I know its not something thats enjoyed being put in but an auto puff would be nice. Ive gotten bolted and attacked by the worms and had to run clear back to Theren (and once Haven due to moons) to get help. With such a non existant populace in the area it might help bring in hunters.
- Hunting. Its already been mentioned that there are proposals or at least ideas floating for more critters. Personally Id love to see maybe one more 50-100 skill critter (we have caiman but Id love maybe a loot dropper) and then maybe some higher level critters to flesh out the ranges of hunting. Something along the lines of a shadowy creature or say a Y'Shai experiment that goes funky and makes some tiered level crazed Y'Shai to hunt.
- More magic based stuff. By this I see TC now as sort of a hub for magical research. Currently I know only the Moon Mages are there but Id love for it to become sort of the place mages go to share spell ideas and develop new enchantment etc. This would be perfect for the Enchanting Hall. Would also be neat to bring in the various other magic guilds. They could have their own little quarters in the city that they would refurbish (obviously Moon Mages would keep the lions share heh). This could also lead to some interesting underground sorcery dealings. I wouldnt even care if Necromancers found a way into the tunnels under the city. Would just give it more flavor.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Ideas? 07/23/2012 01:26 PM CDT
<<I wouldnt even care if Necromancers found a way into the tunnels under the city. Would just give it more flavor.>>

based on some of the offerings of both the "restricted library", and the "alt spell preps" offered, that necromancers already have an "in". after all, rigby designed both Throne city and was the original "instigator" :-) behind the necromancer guild.

/---
Leucius
Re: Ideas? 07/24/2012 07:24 AM CDT
While I would definitely like to see some TC development, I also think that Taramaine wouldn't want to make it too attractive and convenient such that it would draw a much larger and stable population (particularly non-MMs). Eventually someone might start prying a little too much or Therengia might decide the city is worth claiming.

-Artificer Nilassa

You notice Kssarh trying to remain hidden while speaking.
You hear the voice of Kssarh say, "Slackers."
Re: Ideas? 07/24/2012 04:34 PM CDT
Since this appears the most likely place for my character in the future (go-go Raesh with more hunting options):

1. Auto-path (in process as you stated).
2. Gem shop.
3. Climbing (tons of places to put climbing areas).
4. Swimming (some really cool rivers/streams....this may already exist...anyone know?)
5. Minding area.
6. Place to buy ammo (rocks, bolts, arrows, throwing things).
7. Armor repair.

Madigan
Re: Ideas? 07/24/2012 04:49 PM CDT
>>1. Auto-path (in process as you stated).

Yap.

>>2. Gem shop.

Poof! I give you gem shop! (Don't look at that map to see if it was already there! That's cheating!)

>>3. Climbing (tons of places to put climbing areas).

There's some, I'll see about working some more into new areas as they come about.

>>4. Swimming (some really cool rivers/streams....this may already exist...anyone know?)

Ditto.

>>5. Minding area.

Huh?

>>6. Place to buy ammo (rocks, bolts, arrows, throwing things).

I bet we could get that added to the existing general store, or a basic armory set up. Either/or.

>>7. Armor repair.

Interesting. We have a MAMA's but not a repair place. Yeah, I bet we could do that.

-Raesh

Re: Ideas? 07/24/2012 05:14 PM CDT
>5. Minding area.

>Huh?

I assume Mining.
Re: Ideas? 07/24/2012 05:15 PM CDT
Madigan wants to harvest MM brains.

Re: Ideas? 10/10/2012 01:03 PM CDT
>2) It was mentioned above, but a Justice system would seem to be a good idea both for playability and in-game story.

For the sake of the fact that Y'Shai run around in town and questionable magical practice it part of their creation. They may not be Necromancers but the actions of the Moon Mages research might be construed as sorcery in some aspects. Why would they want any form of justice around? Unless said justice was in their back pocket!

-The Forsaken Rakash
Re: Ideas? 10/10/2012 07:44 PM CDT
Throne City will be getting Justice (Along with other upgrades).

-Raesh

Re: Ideas? 10/12/2012 02:29 AM CDT
Herb Shop I couldn't find one so I don't know if one exists there, Does it?
And I don't even play a Moon Mage but please stagger the justice system a little, such as no forbidden practice charges? or at least for the moon mages.

-The Forsaken Rakash
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Khiol
Re: Ideas? 10/12/2012 04:03 AM CDT
Forbidden Practices is one of the main reasons there will be a justice system there.

The fact that it's acted as a necromancer safe zone all this time was not planned.

-Raesh

Re: Ideas? 10/12/2012 09:00 AM CDT
>Forbidden Practices is one of the main reasons there will be a justice system there.

I hope things will be done reasonably up there. Like those danger to the public charges, it's a town of empty ruins. Or that Moon Mage sorcery won't set off charges because it's a Moon Mage run justice...and because the Y'Shai would have to keep arresting themselves. Heh.

-Coralin
Prev_page Previous 1