Alvy - Question 04/20/2011 02:39 PM CDT
Alvy: Since you can't jack up (size-wise) the vultures, what is the process to get something ubber approved in and around Lang/Therenborough?

I seem to recall Z just making assassins more difficult when that change was put into place in the Spire area (near Raven's Court|Hib|Shard).

I also believe at the last SimuCon, a wyvern area was announced for around Shard with some ubber stuff.

In short, who do I need to bother (more than I already have) to get a bigger creature put in the Theren|Lang area?

Madigan, lonely on the islands.
Re: Alvy - Question 04/20/2011 03:09 PM CDT
The person to bother would be me! For those who just can't stand the islands we are adding higher level hunting to Muspari, which is close to Theren.

Feel free to email me, Madigan.

GM Alvy
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 12:01 PM CDT
<< For those who just can't stand the islands we are adding higher level hunting to Muspari, which is close to Theren.>>

A couple things about that...

1. Cool, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it involves creatures that don't use stealth, since pretty much all the other creatures at that level do. Extra bonus points if they're living creatures (neither undead nor construct).

2. Muspari can't really be called "close" to Theren/Lang if the gweth ranges don't play nice. Being unable to hear what's going on in the "nearby" area in which you're interested means you're "not in that area".

3. I haven't gotten around to trying out that new sand barge bypass yet, but in its absence the trip between Theren and Muspari isn't exactly quick. If the bypass doesn't remedy that, then all high level hunting in Muspari would do is make sure all of the isolated areas have high level hunting, which doesn't really address the problem.

Just some things to consider...personally I'd prefer just adding something closer. Like those fancy new orcs people keep saying exist...they'd fit right in near Rossman's.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 12:11 PM CDT
>>Muspari can't really be called "close" to Theren/Lang if the gweth ranges don't play nice. Being unable to hear what's going on in the "nearby" area in which you're interested means you're "not in that area".<<

I thought that the entire purpose of the new experience system was to allow people the flexibility to hunt in an area, and go off and roleplay elsewhere. Personally, I reject the notion that one area (specifically Lang/Theren) should be the ultimate hub of creature activity. If GM's load that area with the entire critter ladder, there would be absolutely no reason to go elsewhere. My intention is not to be contrary, but I do think that there is some merit in filling out the Muspar'i area to encourage more people to go adventuring. It really isn't that far, and the barge does in fact have a bypass.

- Araine
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 12:12 PM CDT
Great points Karthor. At this point I would rather accept isolation in Muspar'i than the Kresh/M'riss.

I don't think anyone would complain too much if those islands were removed from the game as long as decent training could be found on the mainland.

Madigan
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 04:35 PM CDT
<<I thought that the entire purpose of the new experience system was to allow people the flexibility to hunt in an area, and go off and roleplay elsewhere.>>

It's too easy to miss things that way, though, and things are so few and far between that I'd rather not miss them. How am I supposed to, say, respond to a request for healing if I'm too far away to hear it? Things get pretty discontinuous that way, and it breaks any sense of community. I'd rather be able to be "there" during the training time, too.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 04:40 PM CDT
>I don't think anyone would complain too much if those islands were removed from the game as long as decent training could be found on the mainland.

>Madigan

I know I sure wouldn't mind.

Felicini
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 04:42 PM CDT
<<I don't think anyone would complain too much if those islands were removed from the game as long as decent training could be found on the mainland.

Well, they do have interesting lore...

...that noone knows about because its a pain to travel and/or reside there.

-Evran

The first slayer of Malik, may he not rest in peace.
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 05:08 PM CDT
>>I don't think anyone would complain too much if those islands were removed from the game as long as decent training could be found on the mainland.<<

I would. I love kresh and M'riss. I enjoy the atmosphere of them both, the critters, and the fact that you're isolated. It requires some strategy for hunting out there, because although you may have a guild to go to for circling, you don't have any place to spend tdp's. I think training out there is a very nice challenge.

NMUs are not people. -GM Armifer
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 05:40 PM CDT
I have no problem with the training being a challenge. My issue is that if you want to RP you better have a moonie, a boat or a friend with one. If not, you could be waiting a long time to get back and by then it's just not worth it, or the RP event is over.
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 05:48 PM CDT
So isolation is all about the gweth and not the travel time?

We have lots of players who enjoy the islands, it's an acquired taste. If I quit being a GM tommorrow and went back to playing full time I'd go running right back to the islands!

GM Alvy
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 05:56 PM CDT
It's about the travel time for me. Even as citizen of Mer'Kresh, that boat can still be a two hour wait which means the event I wanted to get to is over.
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 05:59 PM CDT
<<So isolation is all about the gweth and not the travel time?>>

I wouldn't say it's all about that, but rather that both are factors. If you can hear what's going on but not get there in a timely manner, that's really not much better than being unable to hear it at all.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 06:00 PM CDT
I can understand that from the islands, Pendus, but Muspari isn't that far travel wise from Theren.

GM Alvy
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 06:28 PM CDT
Not having been there in a while, how far of a ride is it?
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 07:23 PM CDT
<<Not having been there in a while, how far of a ride is it?

The ride time was recently reduced; I guess it's 5-10 minutes. More on the scale of a ferry ride than a boat to the islands ride.

Nikpack
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 07:34 PM CDT
That's not bad for travel. Can we get dillos there? :D
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 10:14 PM CDT
Dillos can't swim! They'd drown in the Reshal Sea before they could make it to the mainland!

GM Alvy
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 10:32 PM CDT
That's what they said about peccs until someone brought them to Rossman's. :P
Re: Alvy - Question 04/21/2011 10:45 PM CDT
Muspar'i would be the ideal place for greater basilisks, the bigger and deadlier species related to the zaulfung version - maybe something like a fire-breathing, desert-dwelling megalania. Or maybe just the lesser version that migrates at a certain age by swimming up the coast to muspar'i to develop into the greater form.

Kaxis

http://www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

>You hear a blood-curdling shriek from the southeast.

>You ponder.

>You go west.
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 01:42 AM CDT
do it "king kong" style. someone brings in a couple for a "zoo" display. They escape. woops!

:-)

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 03:38 AM CDT
No matter wherever this conversation goes, I like the open dialogue and ideas being thrown around.
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 08:00 AM CDT
Can we have critters that work with the Muspari environment that are all the dillo levels but aren't called dillos? And can they generate better than adults and elders?

Thank you

Felicini
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 10:57 AM CDT
As hunting areas are added to Muspari a dillo-level critter can certainly be considered.

I haven't heard any gen complaints on the dillos since the last time I evaluated them. If there's a problem, please post in the M'Riss folder for me.

Something to keep in mind is that the amount of players in any given hunting area effects the gen rates.

GM Alvy
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 11:37 AM CDT
I'll post one if there isn't one.. But for Muspari, can the critters be skinnable? Gems/coins are ok but I like to skin stuff since popping boxes makes my eyes bleed.
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 12:36 PM CDT
I'll keep that in mind.

GM Alvy
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 01:59 PM CDT
>But for Muspari, can the critters be skinnable?

Is there anything at the dillo level that drops boxes? I don't do boxes either, so I have no idea what's available at any level. But if there's not, I'd suggest any new creature at that level should drop boxes so the people who like having their eyes bleed can get in on the action at higher levels.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 02:11 PM CDT
As far as I know, assassins and interceptors drop boxes. Assassins are between adults and elders and interceptors are elders+.
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 02:29 PM CDT
Assassins drop tons of boxes FWIW.

Madigan
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 02:33 PM CDT
There is also something off of the NTR that drops boxes around that level right?
Re: Alvy - Question 04/22/2011 07:03 PM CDT
I think you're talking about resuscitants in the Misenseor Abbey. Fun creatures.

Also, I would love to see greater forms of the basilisks (or something "related") arrive in Muspar'i.