Excessive fines 01/27/2016 05:50 PM CST
Character is 2 weeks old. Literally the first run in with any form of justice.

I left EE running when I left bloodwolves. Fine of 1.5 plat seems a bit much. I pled innocent assuming it was going to be a 1 silver-1 gold fine

Also, why is Elbains a justice zone?

> plead innocent
You raise your voice and firmly declare your intent to prove your innocence!

The judge nods solemnly, "You shall be given a chance to present your arguments in your defense, then."

Doing your best to muster the entirety of your eloquence, you argue the case that you should be found innocent of the crimes before you today. The judge listens intently, comparing what you say with notes upon his desk, and when you finish your summation, you can only hope that he was adequately moved.

After a long deliberation, the judge finally says, "Hanku, this court is not moved by your arguments, and finds you guilty of the charges brought against you. Your unwillingness to admit responsibility for your crimes shall weigh heavily upon you, Elothean."
After a weighty pause, the judge speaks, "Hanku, you have been found guilty of endangering the public in Theren Keep. It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 1 platinum, 3 silver, and 2 bronze. If you cannot pay immediately, your things will be held until you can repay the debt to society that you owe. Failure to come up with the money within twelve days shall result in a forfeiture of your possessions, and their intrinsic value removed from your debt."

The bailiff rifles through your coin purse briefly, until it is obvious you do not have the necessary cash. He tosses it back to you.
The judge nods, "Return when you have paid your debts, your possessions will be in a sack marked with your name, Hanku."
[You have ++72++ RL hours to pay off your debts at the local collection office, then retrieve your things. If you have not paid your debt at that point, your items will be forfeit, and some of their value put towards your debts.]
Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 05:55 PM CST
I, too, noticed some seemingly excessive fines, but have so far just chalked them up to an old charge being on my record causing the high amount despite the recent amnesty of charge histories. I've been getting 14-15 plat fines for disturbing the peace in Theren and Muspar'i due to forgetting to turn off Pyre.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 05:58 PM CST
I could have sworn reading somewhere that you actually get a higher fine if you plead innocent and have it fail.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 05:59 PM CST
This is true, but the difference can't be so much that 1.5 plat ends up being the first time charged with anything result?

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 06:04 PM CST
The difference is totally that huge.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 06:38 PM CST
>>I left EE running when I left bloodwolves. Fine of 1.5 plat seems a bit much.
>>It is with a solemn hope that you will change your ways that I pronounce a fine upon you of 1 platinum, 3 silver, and 2 bronze.

These two values are not the same.

The base fine was 6 gold, no penalty for priors and the rest was a penalty for lying about your guilt. Your actual fine was less than double that.

>>I've been getting 14-15 plat fines for disturbing the peace in Theren and Muspar'i due to forgetting to turn off Pyre.

Really? Since the first of the year you've been fined as follows:

1) Arrested for endangering the public, base fine of 24000, no penalty for priors, you failed to plead innocent and were fined 40320 (4 plat).
2) Arrested for forbidden practices and received the base fine of 5 plat.
3) Arrested for forbidden practices, base fine of 12500, increased to 21125 after failing to plead innocent and the penalty for priors (2.1 plat).
4) Arrested for forbidden practices. Same as above, base 12500 final fine of 20375 (2 plat).
5) Arrested for endangering the public and the court believed your lies. No fine.
6) Arrested for endangering the public and received the base fine of 13.2 plat. It was so high because you hadn't been arrested in ~9 days and had racked up about 20 charges in that time (I didn't spend the time to verify how many of those were in the same justice area, but I'd assume most of them). Are you sure all of those were from pyre and not a variety of other spells? Because, if so, I think you've helped me find a minor error in our logging (cosmetic only).

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 07:08 PM CST
>These two values are not the same.

I noticed that after I posted, but didn't feel like it was worth a delete/repost since people had already commented. Thank you for checking it though.
Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 07:09 PM CST
<< Are you sure all of those were from pyre and not a variety of other spells? Because, if so, I think you've helped me find a minor error in our logging (cosmetic only).

I'm pretty sure all the endangering the public (sorry, not disturbing the peace - I always mix those up) charges were from the use of Pyre. I don't have any other spells that would cause that charge I think.

<<had racked up about 20 charges in that time

This part doesn't seem right to me, although I suppose it might be possible... There was one time I didn't notice right away that I was being charged, but I thought it was only maybe 5 pulses or so. And I can't remember doing it individually that many times. I'll have to go check my logs. It would have been outside the Muspar'i gate I think. That or the bin in Langenfirth. There was also a time during a npc invasion, but I think it was part of the charges that I pleaded innocent to and not that many times.

Which actually leads me to a suggestion. Could there be a timer of sorts implemented so that a pulsing source of charges can only trigger justice once every couple of minutes or so? Or just the option to have a plain CAST not trigger justice since it only targets engaged stuff.

Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 07:18 PM CST
Oh, and one other question.

<<1) Arrested for endangering the public, base fine of 24000, no penalty for priors, you failed to plead innocent and were fined 40320 (4 plat).

Does that base fine flex based on something like circle or anything? 2.4 plat as a base seems like it would be steep for someone of much lower circle than me.

Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 07:25 PM CST
>>2.4 plat as a base seems like it would be steep for someone of much lower circle than me.

Don't endanger the public. That could also have been more than one charge (I didn't check).

Anyhow, those charges mostly come from use of AoEs which tend to not be lower level spells so the situation kind of self corrects.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Excessive fines 01/27/2016 07:39 PM CST
>Anyhow, those charges mostly come from use of AoEs which tend to not be lower level spells so the situation kind of self corrects.

Don't you challenge me to be stupid.
Re: Excessive fines 01/28/2016 12:12 AM CST
>>If you assault the gate in Shard (which is easy to do if you just type 'kn gate' instead of the whole 'knock gate' at night it results in an assault charge and I got fined like 4 or 5 plat dokora.

Base fine was 15000, no penalty for priors, you plead innocent and were found guilty for a final fine of 23850. Convert that to dokora and you end up with a fine of 21512 (2.1 plat).

-Raesh

Re: Excessive fines ::Nudge:: 01/28/2016 12:17 AM CST

This one is a Justice discussion, not geography.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Excessive fines 01/28/2016 11:33 AM CST
Uh guys - he can look up your fines. Like to the copper. So perhaps double check before posting hyperbole / exaggeration? I guarantee your substantive complaint (such that you have one) is being lost amid the chortles of "Raesh got another one."

Raesh, is this a very meta preview of some sort of Burn rewrite?
Re: Excessive fines 01/28/2016 11:37 AM CST
>>Raesh, is this a very meta preview of some sort of Burn rewrite?

Lol. Perfect way to end a very enjoyable thread.
Re: Excessive fines 01/28/2016 12:24 PM CST
>Uh guys - he can look up your fines.

Ohe Noes! People aren't perfect and typo and forget things. I'm sure it's some dastardly plot on our part.
Re: Excessive fines ::Thread Over:: 01/28/2016 02:48 PM CST

This one's over.

Further posting in this thread will be removed.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
::Posts Hidden:: 01/28/2016 06:27 PM CST

Some posts were removed.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor