Rope bridge 03/18/2014 06:12 PM CDT
Does anyone know if it is possible to fall into the ravine from the rope bridge that goes from Theren to Rossman? I did some testing on my own and was not able to have my character fall from it. Wanted to know if maybe I was doing something wrong or if it is just not doable.

Thanks.

Re: Rope bridge 03/18/2014 06:14 PM CDT
>>Does anyone know if it is possible to fall into the ravine from the rope bridge that goes from Theren to Rossman? I did some testing on my own and was not able to have my character fall from it. Wanted to know if maybe I was doing something wrong or if it is just not doable.<<

Unless 3.0 broke it. Yes you can fall into the ravine with sky giants with a nasty stun.

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: Rope bridge 03/18/2014 07:48 PM CDT
I believe that was removed earlier than 3.0, based on a vague and unsubstantiated memory. Not terribly useful, but there you go.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Rope bridge 03/18/2014 08:52 PM CDT
>>I believe that was removed earlier than 3.0, based on a vague and unsubstantiated memory. Not terribly useful, but there you go.<,

Ahhh must have been another nanny proofing.

Re: Rope bridge 03/18/2014 09:28 PM CDT
>Ahhh must have been another nanny proofing.

It's not like it really added anything to the game, other than a random chance of instant death without benefit, which we seem to be moving away from as a game development angle.
Re: Rope bridge 03/18/2014 09:33 PM CDT
>>It's not like it really added anything to the game, other than a random chance of instant death without benefit, which we seem to be moving away from as a game development angle.<<

Perhaps not? But there is something to be said to wake up to an invasion and be cut in half with one swing of a scimitar by a ZEF member.

Re: Rope bridge 03/19/2014 07:14 AM CDT
An invasion by definition is different from death by geography.

You can interact with an invasion. Fight, scout, taunt GMNPCs, taunt players, drag corpses, loot corpses, and so on. Death by geography is 'fell off rope. Died. Done'.
Re: Rope bridge 03/19/2014 07:28 AM CDT
>>You can interact with an invasion. Fight, scout, taunt GMNPCs, taunt players, drag corpses, loot corpses, and so on. Death by geography is 'fell off rope. Died. Done'. <<

You also can learn to shuffle north or south and look ahead to see if another is on the bridge. Learn and train to kill the creatures at the bottom. seaords com to ind and thew long stair climb.

Re: Rope bridge 03/19/2014 08:23 AM CDT
>You also can learn to shuffle north or south and look ahead to see if another is on the bridge. Learn and train to kill the creatures at the bottom. seaords com to ind and thew long stair climb.

A) shuffle is the only way to use the rope. You don't 'learn that'?
B) it's a years long process to hunt sky giants. Many players have not reached that point after a decade or more. It's pointless to say 'you can totally fight these guys, it's interaction!', it's not comparable to an invasion and if you can't see that, I'm sorry.
C) I have no idea what the last sentence is.
Re: Rope bridge 03/19/2014 05:51 PM CDT
>> have no idea what the last sentence is. <<

Sorry was in a bit of a hurry for the last. This is one of many examples. The stairs you climb into and out of Seaords you have a huge round time against a formidable opponent. in other words INSTA-DEATH.
Death is part of the game and some of the mystique. The point in shuffle was that there isn't a skill check to do it. If you fall off the bridge it was due to an error on your part.
How long does it take to retreat and run? or gweth for help?
So yes it was not really needed to remove the fall aspect of the bridge. there was a greater chance of death from the Warcats. But if they were really worried about death, take the barge.

Re: Rope bridge 03/19/2014 07:29 PM CDT
>How long does it take to retreat and run? or gweth for help?

In current DR? You probably can't retreat. And you're stunned. And 'help' wouldn't get there aside from cleaning up the splattered remains of your corpse, since it would likely take 30-90 seconds at least, and that's more than enough time for a sky giant to destroy anyone.

>So yes it was not really needed to remove the fall aspect of the bridge. there was a greater chance of death from the Warcats. But if they were really worried about death, take the barge.

...there is not a 'greater chance of death' from the cats. And 'the barge' doesn't run to anywhere that rope bridge would have taken you unless we're talking about different places. The only way to get to Rossmans, without a massive skill check, is the rope bridge, as far as I know. Otherwise you have an athletics check which takes several hundred ranks, or a boat you might be able to rent if they're not all at the other end of the lake (as they have been every time I've looked).
Re: Rope bridge 03/19/2014 07:52 PM CDT
The original point was about nanny proofing the game. There are many more points in the game were just the location will kill you without a creature. The hatch in the Seerch for example you will drown without aid.
You can swim the river to get to or leave Rossmans (training). You can take the barge to Lang if you wish to go to Theren. The bottom line is just because you want to do something doesn't mean you should be able to.

Re: Rope bridge 03/19/2014 08:15 PM CDT
<<...there is not a 'greater chance of death' from the cats. And 'the barge' doesn't run to anywhere that rope bridge would have taken you unless we're talking about different places. The only way to get to Rossmans, without a massive skill check, is the rope bridge, as far as I know. Otherwise you have an athletics check which takes several hundred ranks, or a boat you might be able to rent if they're not all at the other end of the lake (as they have been every time I've looked).

Doesn't crossing from the docks to the city proper also have a athletic check?

Nikpack
Re: Rope bridge 03/20/2014 06:24 AM CDT
Apologies for the snarky response Elverhaven, it wasn't called for.
Re: Rope bridge 03/20/2014 09:28 AM CDT
>>Apologies for the snarky response Elverhaven, it wasn't called for.<<

No worries.

Re: Rope bridge 03/23/2014 01:18 PM CDT
You shuffle along a rope leading south.

[On a Rope Bridge, Above a Ravine]
The ravine floor is far below, a painful fall if you should lose your grip. With no other way to cross, you can only shuffle along, moving first one hand, then a foot, and hope the ropes will hold. The south side of the ravine is almost within your reach.
You also see a rope leading south and a rope leading north.
Obvious paths: none.
Roundtime: 21 seconds

The wind whirls around you like a mad thing, making your footing decidedly unsure. You tighten your fingers around the rope, clinging to your precarious support.

A sharp snapping noise draws your attention to the rope under your feet. Gods willing, it will hold you long enough to let you reach the other side.

The rope sags slightly as the wind catches it, making you cling as you wait to see if this will be the end.

A sudden gust sends the rope swaying wildly. You clutch at the frail support, but to no avail as your fingers lose their grip, sending you plummeting...

[On a Rope Bridge, Above a Ravine]
The bottom rope sags beneath your weight as you struggle to cross, halfway between the north and south edges of the ravine. Far below, broken rocks litter the ravine floor and promise a painful landing.
You also see a rope leading south and a rope leading north.
Obvious paths: none.
You are stunned!

Just wanted to point out that the other day my char fell from the rope bridge down onto the rope bridge. Not sure the conditions that made this happen, but it was the only time I've seen it happen in the thousands of times crossing it.
Re: Rope bridge 03/30/2014 09:47 AM CDT
I don't think it's random. I think it's a climbing (athletics) skill-check that gets progressively worse if you linger.
Re: Rope bridge 04/14/2014 11:31 AM CDT
>>I don't think it's random. I think it's a climbing (athletics) skill-check that gets progressively worse if you linger.

I could be wrong but I don't believe there is a skill check on it since I've had characters with 50-600 in athletics have that happen. It seems to me it's timer based for lingering on the ropes since only one person can be on the ropes at a time. If you continue to linger on the ropes long enough it will push you back to land where you started so someone else can get on if you are not going to cross. I guess they changed it from falling into Sky Giants to just being forced back off the ropes.