Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/01/2014 05:34 PM CST
I have the perfect solution to your problem that will never, ever happen. It will also make the heads of everyone in Shard explode which could be entertaining. Okay, here we go. Instead of putting higher level hunting in Theren, just add a portal from Theren to Shard that requires a set level to use. Obviously it would only be usable by higher level characters so that they can go hunt and then return home to Theren and thereby not have to travel to the ends of Elanthia just to lock their skills. Problem solved.
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 12:14 AM CST
That seems silly and complicated(and will never, ever, ever happen) considering Forfedhdar actually borders Therengia. The only thing separating them is the Himineldar Shel(at least, I think that's the mountain range there at the border). Would be easier, more realistic and actually have a chance at happening to have some enterprising dwarf traders carve out a mountain pass to connect the provinces.
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 05:49 AM CST

Sounds good, lets do it.
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 09:54 AM CST
Know what would really, instantly, solve most of these problems?

Portals. One in each province, excepting badly designed locations like the islands, which require multi hour travel between. Bam, done, turn off the lights, problem solved. You can put anything anywhere and people can still return to social hubs for RP, or stay out in the wilds of Muspari as they want.
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 10:19 AM CST
Except for the gondola part, can't you essentially travel from Theren to Shard in a couple minutes once you have ~300-350 athletics?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 10:39 AM CST
>Know what would really, instantly, solve most of these problems?

>Portals. One in each province, excepting badly designed locations like the islands, which require multi hour travel between. Bam, done, turn off the lights, problem solved. You can put anything anywhere and people can still return to social hubs for RP, or stay out in the wilds of Muspari as they want.

If you're talking about portals to minimize travel, I completely disagree. That makes the world smaller and discounts an entire guild if nothing else. If you're talking about a portal similar to hallows eve, where people can meet in a centralized place and exit to the province they came from, I think that could potentially be a good addition, but it also poses problems of people staying in that centralized place and healing for instance.

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 10:41 AM CST
Isn't there a ranger that can lead you between P5 and P2 these days? Somewhere near the Rakash Village?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 12:31 PM CST
>That makes the world smaller

How is that a bad thing? Because the logical extension of your argument is RT to move rooms being good, and ferries taking 4 hours like island boats, etc.

>discounts an entire guild if nothing else.

I wasn't aware we had a guild dedicated to doing nothing but travel. This argument is like saying 'we can't let players type 'depart full' because somewhere there's a cleric not rezzing corpses'.

>Except for the gondola part, can't you essentially travel from Theren to Shard in a couple minutes once you have ~300-350 athletics?

As a survival secondary character, how long would that take to get, though? A year? Two? And even then, it takes time to travel, rather than going 'go portal' and being there.
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 01:02 PM CST
All you seem to want to do is argue semantics and debate. There is a solution for you though - become premium. I believe they have access to portals in every city and Fang Cove. Or buy CJ's in the SimuStore or from trader tables.

>How is that a bad thing? Because the logical extension of your argument is RT to move rooms being good, and ferries taking 4 hours like island boats, etc.
>As a survival secondary character, how long would that take to get, though? A year? Two? And even then, it takes time to travel, rather than going 'go portal' and being there.

Ferries have already had their time reduced. If you don't like traveling, then don't by all means, but I don't agree with your simple solution in asking for a change to the mechanics of the game as a whole to suit your needs. There are solutions already present, including the one suggested. Part of the game is playing, if you don't want to work a skill that gets you from point A to point B, you can get between those points other ways or slower IMHO.

>I wasn't aware we had a guild dedicated to doing nothing but travel. This argument is like saying 'we can't let players type 'depart full' because somewhere there's a cleric not rezzing corpses'.

A lot of guilds have different shortcuts to travel, one specifically has ways to help multiple people travel. You should read up more on the game you play if you weren't aware of this. Your argument is then saying 'we have depart so we don't need clerics, so why don't we have portals so we don't need to travel or have others assist us'. Semantics.

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 01:50 PM CST
>All you seem to want to do is argue semantics and debate. There is a solution for you though - become premium. I believe they have access to portals in every city and Fang Cove.

No, Premium don't have travel perks through portals other than portals to Fang Cove just around the time of a monthly meeting.

>Or buy CJ's in the SimuStore or from trader tables.

They're call Jump Jewelry and cost RL cash to buy and most feel the game is expensive enough without having to repeatedly buy JJ, since they're either limited uses or limited time frame.

>You should read up more on the game you play if you weren't aware of this.

Take your own advice before posting. :-)

I'm a Moon Mage primarily and I wouldn't have an issue with making portals to make travel easier for the rest of the players but the GM's have said repeatedly that it won't happen. Dead horse.
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 02:12 PM CST
>>As a survival secondary character, how long would that take to get, though? A year? Two? And even then, it takes time to travel, rather than going 'go portal' and being there.

It wouldn't take that long. Heck, I'm sure many high level characters who trained in dillos have a bunch of athletics simply from being webbed time to time. Add to the fact that stats seem to matter a TON when it comes to swimming and higher level characters are probably even more apt at swimming than lower level characters with better athletics. I know my character stinks at swimming because her strength is so low and swimming roundtimes/effectiveness seems to rely a TON on stats/burden.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 04:37 PM CST
>Your argument is then saying 'we have depart so we don't need clerics, so why don't we have portals so we don't need to travel or have others assist us'. Semantics.

That's not remotely the extension of my argument. That's an addition and inverse of my argument.

You also haven't answered my questions put to you. Why is reducing travel time bad, we'll start with that.

I'm ignoring pretty much everything else because it was either wrong, or you missed the point so badly it's not worth coming back to.
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 05:15 PM CST
>Mithyldr:
>No, Premium don't have travel perks through portals other than portals to Fang Cove just around the time of a monthly meeting.

>They're call Jump Jewelry and cost RL cash to buy and most feel the game is expensive enough without having to repeatedly buy JJ, since they're either limited uses or limited time frame.

>Take your own advice before posting. :-)

>I'm a Moon Mage primarily and I wouldn't have an issue with making portals to make travel easier for the rest of the players but the GM's have said repeatedly that it won't happen. Dead horse.

Agreed

Was really just addressing the Badgopher's questions but okay. I called them CJ's instead of JJ's my bad, if that invalidates my response so be it. Estate holder rings don't get you in anytime? Not an estate holder so you're right, out of my knowledge. JJ still solves the problem presented. The fact that you have to pay for it, just as you'd have to pay for premium access, doesn't discount that fact. They're limited, but again, a solution; as opposed to petitioning to change the structure of the game. I do agree with you that this has been brought up before and is a dead horse, don't even know why I keep replying. I'm a Moon Mage too as my only character and only guild and I agree with Moongates, but not permanent portals.

>Badgopher:
>That's not remotely the extension of my argument. That's an addition and inverse of my argument.

Exactly my point.

>You also haven't answered my questions put to you. Why is reducing travel time bad, we'll start with that.
>I'm ignoring pretty much everything else because it was either wrong, or you missed the point so badly it's not worth coming back to.

I answered every question, because you didn't like the answers and are looking for others you're discarding my responses and repeating yourself? Okay, someone else can continue this, or not. Bottomline as Mithyldr pointed out: "GM's have said repeatedly that it won't happen. Dead horse." :)

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 06:53 PM CST
>>I have the perfect solution to your problem that will never, ever happen. It will also make the heads of everyone in Shard explode which could be entertaining. Okay, here we go. Instead of putting higher level hunting in Theren, just add a portal from Theren to Shard that requires a set level to use. Obviously it would only be usable by higher level characters so that they can go hunt and then return home to Theren and thereby not have to travel to the ends of Elanthia just to lock their skills. Problem solved.

https://store.play.net/store/purchase/DR/item/134

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren. 03/03/2014 08:03 PM CST
For what it's worth, astral guides work like JJ, only they take ~2 min to get to your destination and require some 100-150 Arcana. They were made in game so cost only in game cash to the crafter.

Unfortunately it's not possible to make one of their components any more, so they've died out mostly. I hope they'll be reintroduced eventually with Enchanting.

I still have a couple of blanks that I could turn into guides for people if they are really desperate though.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Higher Level Hunting in Theren.::NUDGE:: 03/03/2014 08:35 PM CST

The bickering belongs elsewhere.

Reminder: Address the points of a post, not the posters.

Thanks!

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.