Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 10/25/2008 01:40 PM CDT
a couple rooms in Crossing still need to be changed to be urban or the new urban-wilderness combo.

[The Crossing, Sicle Grove Lane]
A low, shed-like building stands beneath the trees along the road here. It has a gabled roof that dips off to the side, covering a smaller annex from which a vent disgorges noxious vapors into the street. Various antlers, skulls, and tusks decorate the outside of the shed. You also see a town guard.
Obvious paths: east, west.

H>smirk
You smirk to yourself, the way only a stylish Thief can.
You don't take any extra comfort in this unfamiliar territory.

H>sneak west
Roundtime: 3 sec.

You sneak west...

[The Crossing, Sicle Grove Lane]
The town wall here is overgrown with flowering vines and herbs, making it appear to be a barrier of intertwining branches and blossoms. A small path leads north through an ivy-covered gateway in the wall. Though the trail may have been a temporary one at first, long years of use by visitors to and from the Rangers' Guild at its end have assured its permanent existence.
Obvious paths: east.

RH>smirk
You smirk to yourself, the way only a stylish Thief can.
You don't take any extra comfort in this unfamiliar territory.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 10/25/2008 04:35 PM CDT
Thanks for all your hard work, this change doesn't effect me but I know a lot of people who are going to be loving these tweaks!

- Terra
_______
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
>chant pyre
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 10/25/2008 08:11 PM CDT
Glad to see the severance finally happen and the end of zero sum bonuses. However, I'm a little bummed to see that Lang was turned down, considering it has long been viewed as the Ranger capital, particularly in the IG literature and lore. Any chance it can be turned back up to where it was?

Thanks.

~Thilan, Langenfirth Mayor 375-390
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 10/25/2008 08:28 PM CDT
No, I don't intend to allow areas to be wildly inappropriate, such as nearly pure wilderness for a city, which is what Langenfirth was set at.

It's still the most Ranger friendly city.

-Z
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 10/26/2008 02:46 AM CDT
So can we give you a list of areas that wilderness seems a bit funny on?

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 10/26/2008 10:48 AM CDT
>>No, I don't intend to allow areas to be wildly inappropriate, such as nearly pure wilderness for a city, which is what Langenfirth was set at.

How does a fur trading outpost that's home to a Ranger guildhall qualify as a city?

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Historical_Guide_to_Langenfirth_%28book%29

Some excerpts for you:

>Langenfirth still is unwalled, and the streets wind about like mere trails, to preserve trees that otherwise would have been cut down to build straight thoroughfares.

> There are no taxes, except for guild dues, but the guild handles that. There is no guard force, for justice is that of the wilderness, swift, direct and long over by the time it comes to anyone else's attention.

>Langenfirth and the northern woods still remain tenuously connected to the southern cities and provinces. Travel overland is almost impossible since all routes north overgrew once the lake route was discovered. In deep winter the barge is often forced to remain docked until the ice recedes. During those times, Langenfirth is isolated from the south.

If you won't reconsider fine, but I guess this is one of those times where it'd be nice to have our own advocate. ;)

~Thilan
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 10/26/2008 12:02 PM CDT
It's not a matter of having an advocate or not. Having an Advocate doesn't mean that they block everything that's bad for a guild, it means they're somebody who can put forth a point of view. For small things like this, I'm well aware of what's good for the 3 guilds under my purview and what isn't, which is why I was nice enough to tell you that unfortunately Rangers lost a bit on that front.

I am not really allowed to tell you specifics on what settings are supposed to be, but by our internal metrics it was lower than it should have been even given there was no split. However, I will at least say that the Population scale is not just people who live there, it's how many people pass through the area also, and Langenfirth is a major travel nexus and a town. It's not very developed, you are correct, which is a matter for the Structure scale. This is why we have two now.

-Z
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 10/26/2008 02:32 PM CDT
>>it means they're somebody who can put forth a point of view.

Right, which is what I was trying to do :)

~Thilan
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 10/26/2008 02:37 PM CDT
>Right, which is what I was trying to do :)<

I know :) You don't have access to our numbers or scales so it's not like I'm angry or anything.

-Z
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 11/09/2008 03:09 PM CST
Z, can you take a look at the shops in Muspar'i. It looks like NONE of them are set urban. They look like they're set neutral.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: 'Urbanity', areas, and you. 11/09/2008 06:18 PM CST
>>Z, can you take a look at the shops in Muspar'i. It looks like NONE of them are set urban. They look like they're set neutral.

Here we go again.

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com

Zeyurn: My presence is godly enough to warp the random number generator into submissive compliance with my whims.