Gates 04/11/2004 07:21 PM CDT
I have got to say this is an awesome improvement. It signals to me that we're seeing a definite step in the direction of realism in the structure and behavior of urban areas during invasions.

Katsura, Barbarian of the Sad-Eyed Puppy
Re: Gates 04/11/2004 07:49 PM CDT
These gates will only be open and closable during events, right? I mean, citizens aren't going to be able to close the arthe dale gates for kicks during peacetime and mess up everyone else's ability to travel, are they?
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/11/2004 07:50 PM CDT
Umm... So can we pay our doggone Citizenship in Dirge, then?

A warning would've been nice. Guess I can just break the Gates.

Kinda a bad thing, that people are North of there, and can't get through... Also, a reduction in the price of Citizenship, since the issue has been officially forced. Also, it would be good to put up a 'toll booth' for the folks who don't care to be citizens, or are Citizens of another Province. Either that, or institute passports, for this area, as well.

Not real fond of this. How is a new character supposed to be able to go outside the gates, to forage, to make the money to pay this? Shipyard Rat pelts don't pay enough to do that, by the time ya cap 'em.

-PELIC (Wandering off, muttering...)
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/11/2004 07:57 PM CDT
>> How is a new character supposed to be able to go outside the gates, to forage, to make the money to pay this? <<

As long as the gate is open, you can go through it regardless of your citizenship. If the gate is useless, you can go through it regardless of your citizenship. If the gate is closed, you can ask a Zoluren citizen to open it for you.
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/11/2004 08:07 PM CDT
>> This is just dumb! Are you trying to get people to stop traveling places? Can't even go to a city to visit or shop without a the trouble of worring if the gates are open or closed! Lets drive more people away from the game and screw the new people, heck they quit before there free 30 days are up!<<

Stop being hysterical. Getting the gate open is as easy as having a citizen open it for you -- which is a heck of a lot easier than getting into areas of Therengia or Shard after dark.
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/11/2004 08:08 PM CDT
I can't say that I'm all that thrilled by the idea.

So my Prydaen, who doesn't care a whit about citizenship really, who happens to own a home in Arthe Dale, can't get past the gate without someone with a Zoluren citizenship opening the gate for him?

That's plain dumb.

"I used to be Snow White...... but I drifted." - Mae West
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/11/2004 08:30 PM CDT
<<This is just dumb! Are you trying to get people to stop traveling places? Can't even go to a city to visit or shop without a the trouble of worring if the gates are open or closed!>>

It's war time. Wouldn't you rather enjoy the comfort and safety of knowing that you have a barricade to defend yourself? We've asked for these gates and they've been given to us. Let's not complain about something that we asked for.

-Ruffles

Avast ye scurvy nibblets! Me be sailin' ta rescue me booty!
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/11/2004 08:46 PM CDT
Will using different woods make the construction better on the Gates?

Roughneck Deagar
re: Gates 04/11/2004 08:51 PM CDT
>>So my Prydaen, who doesn't care a whit about citizenship really, who happens to own a home in Arthe Dale, can't get past the gate without someone with a Zoluren citizenship opening the gate for him?<<

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be a citizen to own a home? Furthermore, given how much of this war is otherwise inconveniencing people, I'd think you lot would actually be happy that we have the option of defending our towns now.

It's ridiculous, furthermore, to suggest that this will in any way impede newbies on a regular basis. Once the war is over, the gates will stay open during non-Invasion time, unless some moron closes them as a prank in which case one of the more adult citizens will come along and reopen them.

At the very least I would think you could address your posts in a civil manner. While I do not specifically refer to the above quoted posters complaint (which was phrased in a reasonable way), statements such as "This is just dumb!" are in no way helpful, and will likely get your argument ignored/responded to in kind.

I suspect, further, that once urban scaling comes along, it will not be a great issue for someone to get into the town if they have a friend with sufficient climbing.

The increase in a proactive resistance stance that these improvements provide will help to take the edge off of what has otherwise been a largely one-sided war in many areas. Certainly Haven might not have fallen quite so readily had its defenders been capable of preventing the rapid insurrection and subsequent cleansing of their city via the gates. WIth the help of moongates, the town could have been reinforced before the invaders broke through, and I wouldn't be looking at an inability to circle up without moongating to Crossing right now. Personal annoyances aside, please at least make the attempt to view this from the positive angles before ranting about the few, and somewhat ridiculous, negative possibilities.

re: Gates 04/11/2004 09:26 PM CDT
>>Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be a citizen to own a home?

Nope. You only need to be a premie for 90 days straight. I'm a citizen of Ilithi, but I own a home on Zoluren land.

>>Furthermore, given how much of this war is otherwise inconveniencing people, I'd think you lot would actually be happy that we have the option of defending our towns now.

Definately true. One of the biggest problems with the last two wars and the skirmish in the middle is that we didn't really have and options for defense. We had no way to even try to keep the enemy out. I'm not really thrilled about this war either- but I'll deal with it.

The gates might indeed prove to be a problem to the novices- but the enemy forces are even worse.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
re: Gates 04/11/2004 11:04 PM CDT
It's an easy fix preventing gates from being abused: a gate is big enough and heavy enough that it takes say, 3-5 people to close or open. This would also prevent a single traitor to fling open the gates and let the invaders in.

What I'd really like to see incorporated is some sort of alarm bell system. If people spot creatures invading the town, they can run to a tower and ring the town bells, which are then heard across the town and perhaps even outside the walls. This would immediately notify everyone that the city is under attack and to either rush to its defense or seek cover. People who start false alarms would be jailed and heavily fined.

Dervose
re: Gates 04/11/2004 11:29 PM CDT
I think it'd be fun to go around and just break all the gates, then wait a bit for them to be fixed and do it again!

Dwidus

ISP - ~$20 a Month
Subscription to DragonRealms - ~$13.00 a Month
Watching Your Characters get Wimped - Priceless
re: Gates 04/12/2004 12:29 AM CDT
>>You only need to be a premie for 90 days straight.<<

Well, here again is another barrier to the potentially obstructive and annoying behaviors people are fearing. While I'm not going to be stupid enough to say that there aren't <i>any</i> people snerty enough to engage in this behavior among the premies, it strikes me that they'll be in the extreme minority amongst those who have spent 90 days. Further, I suspect that randomly opening or closing the gates will be considered abusive behavior if it happens enough.

re: Gates 04/12/2004 01:02 AM CDT
>>What I'd really like to see incorporated is some sort of alarm bell system. If people spot creatures invading the town, they can run to a tower and ring the town bells, which are then heard across the town and perhaps even outside the walls.

I got an image in my mind upon reading this of the beacon fires that were lit in Return of the King. Would be cool to have some sort of advanced warning system set up with beacons that start in Dirge and then proceeds southwards.

Maybe something like:
>>You see a blaze ignite to the north in the city of Dirge warning you danger approaches.

Just a thought. ::shrugs::

Player of Maizann
"Hello, China. I have somethin you may want, but it's gonna cost ya. Thats right...all the tea."
re: Gates 04/12/2004 02:19 AM CDT
Id like to second that idea about some sort of alarm thing especially in illithi ...It would be cool to get to the gondola and not be able across but still be able to light the signal fire somewhere in the peeks that could be seen in town. To prevent someone from miss using the alarms maybe you have to have a badge to light/activate the alarm??
re: Gates 04/12/2004 10:59 AM CDT
It such a sad thing to see a great improvement in the realms and already we have a few complaining about it. Darn it can't anything satisfy some of you folks?

War Hawk Catullus
re: Gates 04/12/2004 12:03 PM CDT
It's a great idea, I'd like to see this implemented in other places too (like say.. Ilithi ;)

I'd like to be able to open the Shard gates at night so I can lead my squad through without having to run all the way around, even if the guards shut them again after a few seconds.

I'd like to be able to shut the east gate, 'cause three out of four isn't very secure.

I'd like to be able to close all the gates during the day.

I'd like to see it happen before several thousand pitcast troops arrive on our doorstep ::nudge::

And while I'm at it, I'd like towers with murder holes and cauldrons of naptha to defend said gates <g>

~Lieutenant Kyrrian Sarantin, Ilithi Battering Rams.
re: Gates 04/12/2004 12:06 PM CDT
>It's a great idea, I'd like to see this implemented in other places too (like say.. Ilithi ;)

Me too Lieutenant! Who are those battering rams anyways?

-Daxy
re: Gates 04/12/2004 04:05 PM CDT
Since we now have functional gates, what about crossings North gate? I know, it doesn't really exist, there is a big hole there. Thats the problem. Can't Vorclaf fix the gate there or does he want a nice big gap there?

In the end all things return to Chaos

* Skiori was just struck down! [11:20 pm]
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/12/2004 05:21 PM CDT
<<Getting the gate open is as easy as having a citizen open it for you -- which is a heck of a lot easier than getting into areas of Therengia or Shard after dark.>>

I think the gates are a great idea.

However, in Theren or Shard, there are ways around the closed gates (they may take a bit of time, but aren't all that difficult to get through).

Asking around Crossing, standing around the gates, or gwething for someone to help open the new gates isn't always all that easy to find someone--at least in the majority of hours that I play.

And no, I don't want to have to be a citizen of any particular place...

Especially if I'm doing something like attempting to run back to Crossing from a hunting area past the gates to get healed from serious hunting injuries, only to be blocked by gates I can't open.

RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/12/2004 10:49 PM CDT
OK, when kaerna gates first popped up we couldn't drag corpses through, dunno if this has been changed or not as I haven't been able to play in a day or two but I'd hope so.

And apologies to who it makes mad, but I fail to understand how folks can complain that the gates can be opened/closed by citizens only, or wish to own land in a province without paying taxes to the government that owns that land. Why would us citizens want our gates controlled by foreigners? Or why should the ruler of the province allow you to be a landowner without taxing that land?
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/13/2004 03:03 PM CDT
>Why would us citizens want our gates controlled by foreigners?

I'm military, but not a citizen. But I'm still saving your asses with no pay and crappy hours. The least you can do is let us close a damn gate when there's orcs ready to eviscerate you all.

Or give us free citizenship in return for serving. That works too.

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/13/2004 03:09 PM CDT
<<The least you can do is let us close a damn gate when there's orcs ready to eviscerate you all.>>

That's a pretty good idea to let the military be added to those who can open/close the gates. (This change seems easier to make then your next idea)

<<Or give us free citizenship in return for serving. That works too.>>

I don't think that will work from a system point of view, because they only allow one citizenship at a time.

-Ruffles

Avast ye scurvy nibblets! Me be sailin' ta rescue me booty!
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/13/2004 03:19 PM CDT
>I don't think that will work from a system point of view, because they only allow one citizenship at a time.

Well I didn't mean automatic citizenship. Just free. Go in, register like usual, flash your badge, they say "Oh hey, you're military! You get in free! Woot4u!"

Due to coding thingys, I'm gonna say it should be done with SHOW badge to persondudeguy.

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/13/2004 05:53 PM CDT
<<I'm military, but not a citizen. But I'm still saving your asses with no pay and crappy hours.

military and a citizen so I get no pay, crappy hours, and pay taxes.

true I can see adding the military, I'd forgotten to list them since I'm both.
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/14/2004 10:48 AM CDT
I agree, the gates should be openable/closeable by those with the Province's badge.

Caravans go past the gates just fine and can drag multiple dead people with them. I didn't even notice if the gates were open or closed when I went by on my caravan. I am guessing it doesn't matter to caravans as traders are on official guild business when traveling via caravan.

Also could we get the Leth Deriel Gates upgraded as well to be open/closeable. I'll gladly pay taxes for my gate guards to be citizens and wait inside/outside the gates. This would be a fantastic oppertunity for very low-circle characters especially if the Prince would be willing to either shell out the coin for their taxes or give them a badge that would allow us to designate gate guards.

If there are any low circle traders out there willing to be gate, ballista and onager sentries in Leth Deriel please contact me. I will also be willing to provide gweths and inviso rings for my troops.

We have been told cooperation is the key. Let's start acting like a team!

Commander Nirveli Shontoleen-Visolela of the Emerald Doves
(AIM AuctionerNirveli)
The newsboy wakes up and changes his position. "Invasion Rumors. Ain't
that something?" he remarks to no one in particular, and goes back to sleep.
Grishnok says, "Grishnok say already, Grishnok no forget. Grishnok do what asked."
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/14/2004 11:11 AM CDT
"<<Or give us free citizenship in return for serving. That works too.>>

I don't think that will work from a system point of view, because they only allow one citizenship at a time."

This has always bothered me a bit. There should be some requirement that if you serve in a provincial military unit, you must renounce citizenship to any other province. It's the way it works in real life and the way it should work in Elanthia. The current system is just asking for conflict of interest.

Dervose
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/14/2004 12:06 PM CDT
<<This has always bothered me a bit. There should be some requirement that if you serve in a provincial military unit, you must renounce citizenship to any other province. It's the way it works in real life and the way it should work in Elanthia. The current system is just asking for conflict of interest.>>

it is not always the way it works in real life. One of my sons recently became an Israeli citizen. He is also serving in the Tz'hal, the Israeli armed forces. He does Not have to renounce his U.S. citizenship in order to do so. Other nations also have provisions for what is called Joint citizenship.

For Dragonrealms, there might just be one citizenship option in that particular binary <0-1>. But maybe with DR2 they could make it possible for Dual citizenship as well for military forces and paramilitary forces <such as the group I'm involved with, the Orchids, which serves therengia as a whole-although I'm a Ratha citizen>

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/14/2004 04:24 PM CDT
>>Gonif>>it is not always the way it works in real life. One of my sons recently became an Israeli citizen. He is also serving in the Tz'hal, the Israeli armed forces. He does Not have to renounce his U.S. citizenship in order to do so. Other nations also have provisions for what is called Joint citizenship.

But Israel could be a different situation since military service there is mandatory. The state department might frown on someone with dual citizenship serving in a volunteer army -- Britain, for example. But we're comparing 21st century politics to a medieval/fantasy RPG, so the whole argument could be moot.

I personally don't want to lose the islanders and southlanders we have serving in Therengia, so it doesn't really matter to me -- and I think it's a bit late to be arguing about the composition of militia units. ;)

Sgt. Thilan Farnmor
Intel Division, Northern Watch of Therengia
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/14/2004 06:11 PM CDT
Can we please keep the discussions strictly to Dragonrealms Places and Cities?

Any questions, concerns or issues please email me Mod-Jacania@play.net, Senior Monitor Dr-Redryn@play.net or Senior Monitor Dr-Emony@play.net.
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/18/2004 05:22 PM CDT
Hey, I got a request, lets get some bins or boxes or something by the gates, where people can drop off wood and not have to worry about the janitor sweeping through between then and when its needed.

Caraamon Majerye,
Tog Sailor
"Swim? I canna swim, I sink sideways!"
RE: Zoluren Town Gates 04/18/2004 05:37 PM CDT
As great as the idea of being able to close and protect the gates is, it doesn't make things very easy for newbies who don't know their way around. And it's certainly no picnic to come back from hunting with some pretty bad wounds and find out that when you get to the gate, you can't go that way, you need to spend 10 minutes poking around to find another way into town.
DRF Crossing Town Gates 02/13/2005 12:26 PM CST
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=8&topic=8&message=625

This was the original post announcing the release of the Crossing Town Gates in Prime and Plat, however, in TF we never received this update. Is there any chance Meriel, we could have these released into TF?

Thanks
SADRIS
Re: Shard City Gates 04/29/2009 04:11 PM CDT
Any chance we can get other gates in other cities to act like this?

Few notable locations: Rossgallen Keep, Muspari, Crossings, etc.

Anyone who has lost track of time when using a computer knows the propensity to dream, the urge to make dreams come true and the tendency to miss lunch.
~Tim Berners-Lee
Re: Shard City Gates 04/29/2009 04:17 PM CDT
What good do the gates do against the undead war? Can't they just moon gate into the town?
Re: Shard City Gates 04/29/2009 06:13 PM CDT
So far there have been no reports of a legion of Arisen mages to create moongates, only one in that camp. SO he might be the only one but i doubt it.

Secondly moongates require moons being up which might happen at the right time but till recently there have been good periods with no moons up.

Lastly, they would need to have a person in town to move a moonbeam to, in Shard this can be an amazing feat to achieve since the normal hangout spots are outside the city or inside buildings.

So far the Gates have given the defenders of Shard time to respond and act with effectiveness considering the fewer numbers.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: Shard City Gates 04/30/2009 03:32 PM CDT
Or walk around to the east gate.

-Mr. Glemm