Climbing 10/03/2006 03:53 PM CDT
The vast forests of undead creatures seem pretty devoid of climbable trees- I have found one in Maiden Tresses, just would hope for more, considering almost every room describes one particular tree or groups of trees. I haven't explored it all yet, but more climbing options in the area would be nice. (I am leaving out boars and apes because a) they are not in the specific area I am talking about and b) the level of characters hunting the undead are not really the same as the boars/apes)

In addition, would love it if maiden tresses attempted to entangle players and taught escaping at appropriate levels.

Wouldn't mind if the dryads were sneaky too- never hurts to have more perception teaching creatures, and the dryads seem more sneaky than say ogres.
Re: Climbing 10/04/2006 09:35 AM CDT
There's a great deal of climbable objects past tresses and past the dryads in the blighted tangle. There's a ridge you can climb near the southeast corner of the blighted tangle, then a bunch of trails, slopes, cracks, rockslides. I think there's at least 7-8 things. I don't know how high they teach. With 26 agility and 62 climbing I need a capped sure footing and nothing in my hands to make all the climbs, but they do put me at mind lock for about 15 seconds worth of travel. I wouldn't mind seeing more climbable trees in tresses though.

-Golgol
Re: Climbing 10/04/2006 01:00 PM CDT
Thanks Golgol- I will keep checking- my comments may have been somewhat premature, though I still find it frustrating to have trees in every room and all but one unclimbable.
Re: Climbing 10/04/2006 01:39 PM CDT
The climbs past the ridge do not teach very high. I'd estimate 150 lessons or so. I know that with 310 in climbing I get to learning there. Be nice to be able to have some more things to climb that are not in apes for those of us that cant handle the muck yet. You have all sorts of mountains, cliffs, walls, gates, and so on in a lot of room descriptions. Be nice to be able to climb some of them.

Bluefalcon
Re: Climbing 10/04/2006 03:41 PM CDT
The climbs past the crevice leading up to Asketi's temple probably teach pretty high, because at 142 ranks AND running Drums of the Snake, they still mess me up pretty good. Check my maps for directions.

Aveda (uh-VAYD-uh)

Aveda's Forfedhar Maps!
http://draveda.tripod.com/maps/
Re: Climbing 10/04/2006 04:54 PM CDT
>The climbs past the crevice leading up to Asketi's temple probably teach pretty high, because at 142 ranks AND running Drums of the Snake, they still mess me up pretty good. Check my maps for directions.

That whole area was clearly designed with survival terts in mind(Completely understandable). At the low 200's going all the way to the top hitting every climb a rank before a wall I hit like pondering or concentrating. Simply not a viable place to get climbing for me.

Only places I didn't check thouroughly in PV for climbing to train me. Ain Ghazal but sine multiple people have told me it is city I'm in no rush to go check and apes that are suicide to go into for me.

Perhaps over by the adan'f area has some that trains well at the adept level.

Haven't heard from any other rangers of a good training area for climbing in PV.

Found plenty of easy climbs nothing hard except my brief passby of ain ghazal where I was paying less attention to exp than what was going on.
Re: Climbing 10/04/2006 11:55 PM CDT
<<The climbs past the crevice leading up to Asketi's temple probably teach pretty high, because at 142 ranks AND running Drums of the Snake, they still mess me up pretty good. Check my maps for directions.>>

Aveda, I'm survival prime. I ran up and down that dang mountain I dont how many times when I first found it. All the way up to the temple, several times. With 310 in climbing I got to learning. This is without any spells or bonuses. That area is built for clerics IMO. Understandable and I'm glad they have something that they can hunt better than others.

But, with all the climbing there I wish there were some harder climbs in that area that taught a bit higher.

Bluefalcon
Re: Climbing 10/05/2006 01:53 PM CDT
>Aveda, I'm survival prime. I ran up and down that dang mountain I dont how many times when I first found it. All the way up to the temple, several times. With 310 in climbing I got to learning. This is without any spells or bonuses. That area is built for clerics IMO. Understandable and I'm glad they have something that they can hunt better than others.

Whoa, chill out. I was just offering a suggestion because someone had already mentioned the climbs before the crevice, so I threw that in. And actually, I'd say intending that area for clerics couldn't be further from the truth, since clerics are the only ones who can get up to the temple without climbing that stuff. Unless you were referring soley to the hunting aspect and not the climbing.

Aveda (uh-VAYD-uh)

Aveda's Forfedhar Maps!
Re: Climbing 10/05/2006 03:22 PM CDT
<<Whoa, chill out. I was just offering a suggestion because someone had already mentioned the climbs before the crevice, so I threw that in.>>

Oh I wasnt getting irratated at all. ::chuckles:: Was just trying to inform all that for us of us that have climbing above 250 or so there's dang few places that we can really learn climbing. Unless, you can handle the apes and the muck that's in that area I mean.

As far as for clerics area, yeah I was referring to the hunting aspect of it. I think its a great area for them and the ones that can hunt the marbled gargs without casting spells on the gargs.

I do appreciate the maps you've made, in fact I use them all the time. Just wanted it known that there needs to be more climbing for those of us that don't have a chance to survive in apes.

Bluefalcon
Re: Climbing 10/05/2006 03:34 PM CDT
>Oh I wasnt getting irratated at all.

Oh, okie dokie.. sorry if I took it that way. I do feel bad for folks hitting the climbing plateau.. Other than the under gondola stuff, I haven't heard of anything that requires/teaches godly amounts of the skill. They should make just about anything (like the Moon Mage towers) climbable, but just have them incredibly difficult and have a high chance of injury/death if you fail.

>I do appreciate the maps you've made, in fact I use them all the time.

That's really good to hear! Makes me feel a whole lot less stupid for spending countless hours in Paint on them. Thanks!

Aveda (uh-VAYD-uh)

Aveda's Forfedhar Maps!
Re: Climbing 10/05/2006 03:40 PM CDT
Maybe some more survival stuff is to come. I could have sworn that some credible source said P5 would be a survivals paradise. I was training climbing and swimming pretty hard just in case you needed 200+ just to get in.

~Purehand
Re: Climbing 10/05/2006 03:56 PM CDT
<<Maybe some more survival stuff is to come. I could have sworn that some credible source said P5 would be a survivals paradise. I was training climbing and swimming pretty hard just in case you needed 200+ just to get in.>>

I sure hope so as far as climbing is concerned. There's already places there that teaches swimming well. I heard to 500+ lessons in one area. I dont have that much, but there's a couple of places in there that I can't swim against the current, and places I can lock swimming fast with almost 280 in swimming. And there are places that teach well at lower ranks as well. Just climbing needs some love.

Bluefalcon
Re: Climbing 10/05/2006 09:32 PM CDT
Where is there to swim in there? I noticed there is some kind of swimming area in with the gobs but I didn't try cause I didn't want to get killed running around in there. Are there places that teach swimming outside of really dangerous areas?
Re: Climbing 10/05/2006 09:52 PM CDT
>Where is there to swim in there? I noticed there is some kind of swimming area in with the gobs but I didn't try cause I didn't want to get killed running around in there. Are there places that teach swimming outside of really dangerous areas?

Yes, the river runs south to north along the western side of damaska boars, and most likely teaches incredibly high. If you run through the area, you shouldn't get nailed by anything.

Aveda (uh-VAYD-uh)

Aveda's Forfedhar Maps!
Re: Climbing 10/06/2006 02:26 AM CDT
The River in boars will teach upwards of 800 ranks.

-Teeklin

"You take people, you put them on a journey, you give them peril, you find out who they really are. If there's any kind of fiction better than that, I don't know what it is." -Joss Whedon
Re: Climbing 10/06/2006 03:31 AM CDT
<<Where is there to swim in there? I noticed there is some kind of swimming area in with the gobs but I didn't try cause I didn't want to get killed running around in there. Are there places that teach swimming outside of really dangerous areas?>>

There's also the harbor in Ileya Taipa that I can lock swimming in a short amount of time. Dunno how high it teaches to though.

Bluefalcon
Climbing the gully near Raven's Point 02/03/2007 07:10 AM CST
I'm trying to figure out how much climbing is needed to get past the gully along the route that bypasses the gear gate. I have a character with 18 climbing that can't do it and a character with 44 climbing (and 18 strength) that can. Anybody have any climbing within that range that has failed or succeeded at bypassing the gate?

Kraelyst the Hand

"The day is for honest men, the night for thieves."
-- Euripides

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/04/2007 06:00 AM CST
Okay, nevermind on all the questions about how much skill stuff takes.

The gully climb to get past the gear gate takes around 25 ranks, though obviously it can be done with less if you have more strength or spells.

The swim in Archer's Ford near Boar Clan can be done with 9 swim/17 strength, and 27 swim/10 strength, so I'm going to say almost everybody with 20 swimming should be able to make it (though it might take them a while).

Kraelyst the Hand

-- Euripides

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
Re: Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/04/2007 08:39 AM CST
That's awesome to know. Thanks a ton Kraelyst!

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/05/2007 12:06 PM CST
Interesting since when P5 first opened, with a strength of 10 and swimming at 45, I couldn't get past the first room of the Ford. "No" burden but hindered with a mix of LC and leather. Haven't been back to try since then but I've trained strength and have more swimming now so it would be apples and oranges.

Asbhuan
Re: Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/05/2007 10:11 PM CST
>>Interesting since when P5 first opened, with a strength of 10 and swimming at 45, I couldn't get past the first room of the Ford

Yeah, I saw your posts about that, but I tested it with 2 characters of my own and someone else also posted about being able to do it with much lower skill, so I'm going to guess that they must've changed it at some point.

By the way, the most recent update on my travel script has just been released and it includes all settlements in Forfedhdar: Raven's Point, Hibarnhvidar, Boar Clan, Ain Ghazal, and Ilaya Taipa (in Zoluren).

You can download the travel script at http://www.lurksponge.com/travel/scripts.html and receive an email whenever I make updates to any of my travel scripts by clicking here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TravelScripts/join

Kraelyst the Hand

-- Euripides

-- Edmund Burke
Re: Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/06/2007 05:11 AM CST
thanks for the travel update Hand.
Shinumo
Re: Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/06/2007 11:02 AM CST
I think race place into how well you can swim too. For a gnome, swimming through a babbling brook is like swimming in a ragging rapids white to a Tog it's like stepping in a muddle puddle. I've noticed in the past how easily the Togs I played could swim through water well gnomes always seem to have such a hard time with same ranks in swimming. How much strength accounts for such differentiation is unclear to me but I think even with same strength gnomes seem to have a harder time of it while Togs it's easy but they learn less swimming.

Re: Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/06/2007 12:28 PM CST
>>How much strength accounts for such differentiation is unclear to me but I think even with same strength gnomes seem to have a harder time of it while Togs it's easy but they learn less swimming.

The small height difference between 'Togs and Gnomes counts for a lot. We are still wading (and learning less swimming) through some rivers while other races are swimming.

mfberg
Re: Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/06/2007 03:29 PM CST
Either it changed or it was due to my armor hinderance. Did you run your tests with or without armor on?

Asbhuan
Re: Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/06/2007 06:35 PM CST
>> Either it changed or it was due to my armor hinderance. Did you run your tests with or without armor on?

Now that's a good point. Some of it I did without armor and some with armor, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time. Hmmm. Forfedhdar was such an easy addition 10 days ago that I decided just to go ahead and do it all, but the more I found there that had to be climbed, swam, and needed group mechanics, the more difficult it became.

Kraelyst the Hand

-- Euripides

-- Edmund Burke
Re: Climbing gully, Swimming ford 02/07/2007 09:18 AM CST
I enjoyed the chain (or rope?) in the Barb Guild. That's a long climb.

Asbhuan
Climbing into the mine 05/15/2011 05:22 PM CDT
So, I've recently transplanted to Forfedhdar, and I'm exploring the abandoned mine, what with the buccas and imps and whatnot.

Here's my beef/question: How much climbing does it take to climb down into the cave troll & fish section of the mine without getting hurt? I've only got about 50 in climbing, which I am sure isn't enough (even with a rope, judging by how frequently I fall), but when I hang out on one of the ledges waiting for my herbs to go to work and try to PRACTICE climbing, it tells me the climb is too easy and stops me from practicing. It also says, when I appraise the climb, that I could do it with my hands behind my back and

Are the cliffs in the mine meant to stop teaching before they become safe? It feels to me that that would be either a bug or a really weird design decision or I am doing something wrong.

PS loving the fish by the way. Don't get me wrong, treasure or skins would be nice, but they are teaching me quite well, regardless.
Re: Climbing into the mine 05/15/2011 06:26 PM CDT
Wow, I thought that was just a generic message. You're the first person I've heard of who actually got hurt on that climb.

What do you have for burden and armor hindrance?

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Climbing into the mine 05/16/2011 02:10 PM CDT
I was lightly hindered and had no encumberence. I was probably wearing my shield on my arm, and maybe a parry stick, too. Would that matter?

I don't mind falling down for a while (it kinda fits my character), but I'm just wondering if I'm going to be able to eventually train up there so that it doesn't happen, or if I'm going to have to stop hanging out in the mines and run around elsewhere to train climbing enough that it's no longer an issue? The apps say I should have no trouble with the climbs at all and I can't practice on them, which makes me think I'm near the learning cap, but for some reason I seem to be constantly falling down.

Chances are I just jumped the gun on moving out to P5, but I hadn't ever been there before and was getting impatient :)
Re: Climbing into the mine 05/16/2011 03:36 PM CDT
What are your character's stats?

Yes, you do reach a point where you no longer risk falling and getting slight injuries.

Bear in mind that this is also the province with the icy pass where if you move too fast you can fall and get injured.
Re: Climbing into the mine 05/16/2011 03:37 PM CDT
I had about 100 climbing when P5 came out so I can't really help you on how much climbing you'll need. Worst case scenario, you've got 50 more ranks! ;)

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Climbing into the mine 05/16/2011 04:27 PM CDT
around 100 is what I figured, but I assumed I could PRACTICE on the cliffs until I was skilled enough to climb it without getting hurt, since that (in my mind, anyway) is the point of being able to practice. I'll just find places to train on that don't hurt me when I leave the mines to restock herbs and get armor and weapons repaired.

Or I'll just burn through a bunch of herbs falling down hills while I wait for swimming and climbing to be combined. I've never enjoyed training climbing. Practicing never nets me much experience anyway, and I while I understand why there's a timer on EXP gain for climbing things, I can't stand having to run all over town on a loop just to gather EXP before it drains. I would rather there be a roundtime, like swimming, over a timer. It seems to me that it would make the game more realistic AND more playable if you could find a tree and climb it over and over (with RT) until you got better at it as opposed to the warp-speed climbscripting that the per-object timer seems to encourage.

But that was just my little rant, which really doesn't even belong in this folder, so I'm done with it.

Thanks for the help and input, everyone! Back to boxing some cave trolls.
Re: Climbing into the mine 05/17/2011 01:00 AM CDT
>Practicing never nets me much experience anyway

I've heard this a number of times and I'm intrigued. My character has gained 300+ ranks of climbing almost exclusively through 'climb practice' and I wonder if being survival tert makes climb practice more viable.
I have found that climb practice is most effective when you practice on something above your head (;)) - so if the cliffs to cave trolls are appraising as fairly easy you need to climb practice on something more challenging. What I generally have done is looked for something I CAN'T climb (or at least not without significant buffs and climbing rope and luck) and then climb practice that. After learning slows down I can generally climb it easily and move on to something more difficult.

If you're hunting cave trolls, then you can probably learn combats off of bloodvines as well. The only real advantage cave trolls have at that level is skins, maiden tresses drop boxes but not skins and are just a bit tougher than cave trolls but without shield and parry.

For climbing experience in P5 I would run through the dryad/nyad area (watch out for dryad webs!) to the asketi's mount area and practice your way up the mountain. After you climb the ridge it's safe from critters until you get to the very top of the mountain (gargoyles) which you will be unable to do without about 200+ climbing anyways. I probably learned 50+ ranks of climbing doing 'climb prac escarpment'.
Re: Climbing into the mine 05/17/2011 06:23 AM CDT
>I wonder if being survival tert makes climb practice more viable.

It does. It's still a waste of time in any area that has a more than 3 climbs in your range, but what is a barely tolerable way to train my paladin, turns into a unmitigated nightmare with a ranger. The fact that the last 300 ranks of climbing have been pretty useless for me doesn't help either.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Climbing into the mine 05/17/2011 09:29 AM CDT
it must be. i've found climb practice practically useless with both my thief and my necro, but fairly useful for my cleric.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Climbing into the mine 05/17/2011 09:42 AM CDT
Climb practice works fine for my necro. You just need to be patient with it, like when using HUM to train vocals. Don't expect it to lock really quickly like combats or some magics.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Climbing into the mine 05/17/2011 11:26 AM CDT
Most of my climbing came from actual climbing, but the last 200 ranks or so have been from climb practice. 588 ranks, on my Thief. The hard part is finding the correct spot, IMO.