Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/15/2014 03:16 PM CDT
I've been thinking of starting a new character and I think the number one thing that always turns me off and gets me bored of any new character I make is following the same old Crossing critter ladder, so I was thinking of giving Forfedhdar a shot(since he's going to be a Dwarf, anyway) and make it his home from (nearly) scratch.

Just by glancing at Elanthipedia, Forfedhdar seems to have a pretty complete critter ladder(with the exception of a few gaps that can easily be filled next door in Ilithi). Is this really viable? I've never heard of some of the lower end critters in Forfedhdar and would hate to get this all set and going and find that there's actually huge gaps at low levels because Elanthipedia's rank list is wrong or some of those lower level critters I've never heard of are essentially unhuntable because of annoying special attacks or what not.
Re: Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/15/2014 03:58 PM CDT
I would also like to know the answer to this.
Re: Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/15/2014 04:28 PM CDT
Once you reach 60 or so ranks it had a fairly complete ladder with only a couple minor gaps. You could start with less ranks and what little gaps there were closed if willing to hunt around Shard occasionally.

That said, remember that learning caps on creatures operate differently now and effective learning drops off far, far earlier than it used to. You'll still technically learn approximately to the listed caps on elanthipedia for the most part, but most of that time you will never get past 1/34. No more getting 34/34 all the way up to the critter's experience cap. I suspect that the P5 critter ladder has a few extra gaps because of this.
Re: Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/15/2014 06:03 PM CDT

I just recently started re-playing a young trader I had, that was around 30's in combats. West of shard has eels that were able to take me to 50ish although slowly (stayed to get stealth up to par, since it was lower than other combats). After eels, I wasn't able to hunt imps/bucca outside Hib yet, so I looked for somewhere else to fill the gap.

After trying several creatures that either stomped me down, or didn't teach well, someone informed me to try bobcats out the west of crossing, which worked perfectly to about 70ish. At this point, imps/bucca didn't hurt real bad anymore, but they didn't train very well either. After that, I tried several other creatures including beisswurms, bears (near wurms), bears and blood wolves west of crossing (near ogres), and some other creatures that all either didn't teach anymore, or were extremely painful. I died several times trying to get the next 5-10 ranks.

After getting some new tanned armor, I am finally able to stay alive long enough to lock combat skills in blood wolves up in Theren, and am nearing around 80-85s in combat skills now. Wasn't sure where to go after imp/bucca in P5 (which is where I wanted him), and with new caps being far lower than listed on Elanthipedia, I just stuck in an area until I capped it out within 5-8 ranks.

Keep in mind, this is a Trader (no spells/buffs) with around 20 in all stats (nearly level 30 before he ever trained much combat), that was wearing pieces of light armor, ranging from premie portal bone and cloth to a non-masterful troll-hide coat. YMMV.

There is nothing below imp/bucca in Forf. Graverobbers start around 100ish, albino cave fish are not documented, and I've never seen one when in that area. Young cave trolls say they start around 85ish, but was waiting til 100 to try because I have no buffs.

-Master Ndin
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ndin
Re: Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/15/2014 10:45 PM CDT
My advice is to get creative with hunting in the 150 range, early level DR is a grind with it's longer RTs and built in frustrations. Get to like swamp troll level and do something different is my advice. It won't take you 300 seconds to tend a bleeder by then.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/16/2014 08:20 AM CDT
I'd have to go back through myself, but the usual pathway is to share hunting between Ilithi and the greater Hib area.

Rats/Whatever in Riverhaven > 20ish, Boggles/Kobolds/whatever in Shard until 50ish, Rock Trolls south of Shard until 70ish.

I'd start checking out Imps and Buccas then, but also try the blight bats in Boar Clan. If neither of those is acceptable still, I'd suggest the snowbeast hunting area north of the Gondola. That will transition straight into Mutant Togballs in Boar Clan, somewhere around 100 ranks, and from there on out it is easy enough to hop back and forth as required. Easy enough to plan out a entire hunting tree for life with the Bestiary search page on the wiki.

I know that after zombie goblins in Riverhaven, I've been able to hunt skinnable undead the entire way thanks to Ilithi and Forefedhar, and will be able to do so until around 850 ranks without a break.

If you act like prey, do not blame me for acting like the predator I am.
DR_Shaidval @ AIM
Re: Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/16/2014 09:55 AM CDT
How much Athletics should I have before I move down there, to not get stuck in Archer's Ford and that river by gryphons outside of Shard? I know both checks are really, really, really, really low but I'm sure I got stuck in Archer's Ford one time on a newbie Trader I made in the Fallen because I was over burdened and had crappy swimming.
Re: Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/16/2014 09:58 AM CDT
Gonna go with it was due to burden and not the swimming. Ive done the gryphon river with 30 in swimming and no burden back when I was new to the area.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/16/2014 10:05 AM CDT
He had like... three swimming. I'm terrible at writing scripts and the Hib one was the only trading script I could find that would run 24/7 in the Fallen so I just went with it, and came back one day to find myself trying to swim the same room in Archer's Ford for 19 hours.

But thanks for the info everyone, as soon as I'm done in rats in the Crossing I'm gonna head down to Shard and try to get started.
Re: Low level hunting in Forfedhdar. 06/16/2014 02:17 PM CDT
While you are bumming around Crossing with the rats, just remember to bump up to the Arthe Dale swimming pool and keep your athletics moving, always. By the time you are ready to mosey on down, neither will be a concern.

If you act like prey, do not blame me for acting like the predator I am.
DR_Shaidval @ AIM