Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 03:41 PM CDT
With the new mammoth and airship, and the speedier mainland ferries, I assumed that the boats between the islands would be faster also. It seems like this isn't the case? I rarely have several uninterrupted hours to play DR these days, so these travel times just don't really work with my play style. Is this something that could be look at again at some point?

I love to travel around and explore new places, but getting to Aesry is going to take me all day today...
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 03:48 PM CDT
It was considered. The problem is "Here be dragons" when referencing boat code.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 04:32 PM CDT
>>The problem is "Here be dragons" when referencing boat code.

This pretty much. I believe Raesh may of attempted to speed up ships, but wasn't very sure if it even worked or not.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 04:43 PM CDT
>This pretty much. I believe Raesh may of attempted to speed up ships, but wasn't very sure if it even worked or not.

I think he said he tried it in dev, and the boat ended up rocketing past the dock and got stuck in the middle of the island.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 05:34 PM CDT
Honestly I just wish they'd kill the boat code entirely, and drop Mammoths or equivalent everywhere. 20 minutes from the mainland to Ratha is about perfect. 10 minutes from Ratha to Aesry would be great.

Just keep the boats around as a legacy system since we've got people who spent thousands of real bucks on boats.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 07:13 PM CDT
>I think he said he tried it in dev, and the boat ended up rocketing past the dock and got stuck in the middle of the island.

That wasn't me but I've heard of it happening. The best I could do last I tried was get about a 20% increase and wasn't at all sure catastrophe wouldn't follow.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 08:02 PM CDT
>>> Honestly I just wish they'd kill the boat code entirely, and drop Mammoths or equivalent everywhere. 20 minutes from the mainland to Ratha is about perfect. 10 minutes from Ratha to Aesry would be great.

I had wondered if this was feasible as well. If all of the boats were converted to standard ferries/barges/mammoths then maybe we could get fast boats and not need to worry about the ridiculously complex boat code?
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 08:30 PM CDT
Well, I'm certainly glad that it's been considered at least.

Alternately, a rewrite of the boat code could allow for some really cool sailing commands...

Or a brand new airship code that allows you to fly around?

I realize these are pipe dreams but the ease of travel (although a bit risky) for moon mages is hard to live without.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 09:15 PM CDT
Anyone know how often the airship departs from Langenfirth for M'riss?

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 10:38 PM CDT
>I had wondered if this was feasible as well. If all of the boats were converted to standard ferries/barges/mammoths then maybe we could get fast boats and not need to worry about the ridiculously complex boat code?

Well, I think 'converting' the current boat system to something less horrible would amount to 'writing an entirely new boat system', which the GMs have, for whatever reasons (I'll assume return on investment, because it's a niche system) declined to do.

Personally I like them focused on the stuff they've done, and boats are a relic in my mind. I'd be happy to be rid of them from a player standpoint, but I'd be more happy to simply have 'nuboats' added for all the travel points.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 10:46 PM CDT
>Or a brand new airship code that allows you to fly around?

I can just imagine replicating the ocean vector navigation system being expanded across the entire continent and the nightmares that would just have to result.

I'd really prefer somebody throw the ocean out with the bathwater and put everything on rails. Why on water do you Want to sail around aimlessly, anyway? Exploration? There's nothing out there to explore!

Also: more ranger trails.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/10/2014 11:46 PM CDT
>>>> Well, I think 'converting' the current boat system to something less horrible would amount to 'writing an entirely new boat system', which the GMs have, for whatever reasons (I'll assume return on investment, because it's a niche system) declined to do.

Well, I meant more like copy and paste the mammoth scripts to the aesry to ratha boat, change a few things (like the names of the boats) and be done with it. Can't be too hard since they released the mammoths not that long ago.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/11/2014 07:21 AM CDT
>I'd really prefer somebody throw the ocean out with the bathwater and put everything on rails. Why on water do you Want to sail around aimlessly, anyway? Exploration? There's nothing out there to explore!

The original intention was severalfold; they wanted to put in a 'real' boating system, which included islands to explore, ship-ship combat with dynamic ship repairs and things like that.

Sort of like 'why did an actual astronomer code the heavenly bodies system to closely mirror real heavenly bodies, using advanced physics and real equations' kind of thing.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/11/2014 11:07 AM CDT
...so I just found out that you can purchase jump jewelry with simucoins. Sold.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/11/2014 11:20 AM CDT
>...so I just found out that you can purchase jump jewelry with simucoins. Sold.

Hmm, apparently I had some misconceptions about what jump jewelry was. I re-instate my request for faster boats.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/11/2014 11:34 AM CDT
>Hmm, apparently I had some misconceptions about what jump jewelry was.

I'm curious... what did you think jump jewelry was? The biggest problem I see is that you need 2 pieces to be able to travel back and forth.

It is amazingly convenient for what it is, though.

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Island Travel Times 08/11/2014 11:35 AM CDT
Moons.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Island Travel Times 08/14/2014 10:24 AM CDT
I'm guessing that part of why GMs didn't just plop sea mammoths/etc along normal ship routes is to not completely abandon any functionality/advantage ships have.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/14/2014 10:38 AM CDT
>I'm curious... what did you think jump jewelry was? The biggest problem I see is that you need 2 pieces to be able to travel back and forth.

My previous experience with jump jewelry was just from the test server, so I assumed you wouldn't need a moon up. I also assumed that you could go to any of x pre-selected destinations.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a lifesaver compared to using public boats. It's just prohibitively expensive to maintain the ability to jump to each island, for example.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/14/2014 11:17 AM CDT
>My previous experience with jump jewelry was just from the test server

Yeah, jump jewelry is different than the crystal shards. It's like JJ in plat. If you're not traveling that often, JJ between islands is great, but it's not really something you can do cost effectively 5 times a day.

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Island Travel Times 08/14/2014 11:20 AM CDT
>I'm guessing that part of why GMs didn't just plop sea mammoths/etc along normal ship routes is to not completely abandon any functionality/advantage ships have.

Let's disadvantage 99.9% of the player base with crap systems so those .01% legacy people with boats can be special?
Re: Island Travel Times 08/14/2014 11:55 AM CDT
>I'm guessing that part of why GMs didn't just plop sea mammoths/etc along normal ship routes is to not completely abandon any functionality/advantage ships have.

>Let's disadvantage 99.9% of the player base with crap systems so those .01% legacy people with boats can be special?

I doubt that's the case. It's probably more likely that re-writing/updating public transportation ships is such a large project that nobody can reasonably dedicate that much time to it currently. There are some much more important tasks to get finished and there are a number of other options already present besides taking the public ship.

Speeding up the public ships a little would be nice, but I think it's unreasonable to expect them to be lighting fast. There should be a degree of advantage to having a private ship, and currently it is the fact that private ships are the fastest form of nautical travel in addition to being able to dock in places that public vessels cannot (like the enclave docks on Hara'Jaal).

While it might be common for people to think "a ship, is a ship, is a ship" the fact is that the public-use vessels are not streamlined transport ships, they're small-ish commercial vessels that are implied to be loaded with goods which happen to occasionally take on passengers who are "going their way" free of charge. Realistically, they would be some of the slowest vessels on the water and I think that's totally fine.

You skillfully remove the vanilla cheesecake from your abdomen leaving the wound no worse than it was before.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/14/2014 04:53 PM CDT
>>Let's disadvantage 99.9% of the player base with crap systems so those .01% legacy people with boats can be special?

If you want to frame it in a "glass half empty because you kicked it down the stairs and that's why your parents died and now you're an orphan" sense, sure.

>>It's probably more likely that re-writing/updating public transportation ships is such a large project that nobody can reasonably dedicate that much time to it currently.

I think the suggestion was to ignore the ship thing and just create more scripted travel things like ferries, sea mammoths, air balloons, etc. My understanding is that the biggest hurdle for those types of transport is writing the ambient messaging (which is a hard job itself), since they're not necessarily creating brand new mechanics each time one of those things are built.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/14/2014 10:26 PM CDT

I don't think boats are special anymore. I probably would rather buy JJ for six bucks. What would you pay for a boat now? Ten bucks? That ship has sailed.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

Re: Island Travel Times 08/15/2014 03:06 PM CDT
Well looking around, it seems about $500, depending on the boat. :)

But yes I agree - except for the status of owning a boat, why bother?
Re: Island Travel Times 08/15/2014 03:22 PM CDT
>But yes I agree - except for the status of owning a boat, why bother?

No charges. No limited time use. No need to wait for a specific moon to be up. No need to find a moon mages with enough skill. Faster than public transportation (Yes, I can even sail from mainland to Ratha faster than the Sea Mammoths can get you there. Even using a cog.)

In short, it's more reliable than other forms of transportation. Add that to the potential role play opportunities that can come from owning/using one and it's pretty easy to see why I prefer it. But, whatever, different strokes for different folks I guess.

You skillfully remove the vanilla cheesecake from your abdomen leaving the wound no worse than it was before.
Re: Island Travel Times 08/15/2014 09:29 PM CDT
I would rather have a boat than JJ or anything else, but it's not that difficult to get around without one. It does affect my hunting area decisions and which RP events I participate in as well, because it's having a boat means I can go wherever I want any time I feel like. I don't mind the Skirr, Kree, Jolas, etc, it's just a bit less convenient.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Island Travel Times 08/15/2014 10:19 PM CDT
>I don't mind the Skirr, Kree, Jolas, etc, it's just a bit less convenient.

When you sit down to play, how many hours do you typically play?
Re: Island Travel Times 08/17/2014 05:24 AM CDT
I don't sit down to play unless I know I've got 2 hours or more. I don't watch TV in the evenings, as a matter of fact, I don't watch TV at all, so this is how I chill out after a day at work.