shops in this town 04/14/2007 08:50 AM CDT
anything interesting in this town?
Re: shops in this town 04/14/2007 08:51 AM CDT
No.
Re: shops in this town 04/14/2007 09:59 AM CDT
Hey, if you like makeup, yes.

~Eoworfinia~
Dartenian fades into view.
A horde of Lawrence Welk fans decend on the area.
Dartenian whimpers softly.
Re: shops in this town 04/14/2007 04:19 PM CDT
The restaurant sells absinthe if you're into that kind of thing.

Rev. Reene

<Reene> Clerics whine because they're survival tert.
<Tortolia> screw them. I'm survival awesome.
Re: shops in this town 04/16/2007 10:50 AM CDT
>>The restaurant sells absinthe if you're into that kind of thing.

How did I miss that? Gulph has been trying to fill a keg with absinthe for years now.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: shops in this town 04/16/2007 11:44 AM CDT
>>The restaurant sells absinthe if you're into that kind of thing.<<

What is absinthe?

Re: shops in this town 04/16/2007 11:46 AM CDT
It's a liquor of sorts.

Player of a few too many

Pol-i-tics (pol-i-tiks) n. 1. "Poli" meaning many. 2. "Tics" meaning blood-sucking insects.
Re: shops in this town 04/16/2007 03:12 PM CDT
I am assuming that absinthe in DR is supposed to be the same liquor as it is IRL.Basically it is a liquer infused with wormwood.Taken in sufficient quantities it is supposed to produce hallucinations of a sort.On my recent trip to Europe(it is illegal in the U.S.) I tried it and found it to be quite disgusting.It has the flavor of mint kerosene.Therefore I couldnt consume enough to get the hallucination effect.I do wish dragonrealms would implement a way to perform the whole ritual associated with the real absinthe though.Because as long as i dont have to drink it I found the protocol interesting.Bascially one pours the Absinthe over a sugar cube into a shot glass then sets the cube on fire and dumps it into the glass.then you drink the absinthe.

"i have the simplest of tastes I only want the Best" Oscar Wilde
Re: shops in this town 04/16/2007 03:53 PM CDT
>>It has the flavor of mint kerosene.

"You know, if you can muscle your way past the gag reflex, all sorts of food opportunities open up."

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: shops in this town 04/16/2007 04:53 PM CDT
>>Taken in sufficient quantities it is supposed to produce hallucinations of a sort.

Absinthe is like any other high proof alcohol. It got the hallucinogenic reputation due to unscrupulous distillers using cheap substitutes for real wormwood (just like how you'd suffer adverse effects if you were to consume improperly made moonshine). Combine that with the growing temperance movement and it got banned in the US and most of the Continent. Modern substitutes for absinteh are pastis (French, try Ricard or Pernod) and ouzo (Greek, don't really know any brand names readily available in the US). Both have the same water -> cloudy effect as absinthe.

~Thilan
Re: shops in this town 04/16/2007 05:03 PM CDT
Now ouzo is something I love. Takes down my family like that, but it is the first liquor we finish.

Wonder if there's any in DR?

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: shops in this town 04/16/2007 05:10 PM CDT
Ugh, Ouzo.

~Purehand

You doubt that you'll be able to alter another person's features for at least 564 more roisaen.
Re: shops in this town 04/16/2007 11:36 PM CDT
>> It has the flavor of mint kerosene.

Absinthe is an anise-flavored liqueur, which means it's made to taste like licorice. I hate licorice. I can't stand absinthe.

>> Absinthe is like any other high proof alcohol. It got the hallucinogenic reputation due to unscrupulous distillers using cheap substitutes for real wormwood (just like how you'd suffer adverse effects if you were to consume improperly made moonshine).

This is also true - while absinthe can contain thujone (a neurotoxin) due to it being distilled from wormwood, the marketable percentage of absinthe doesn't contain enough of anything to produce anything remotely close to a hallucinogenic effect. People who say otherwise are either drinking something that was made in a basement somewhere (which is very, very dangerous and can kill you so don't do it for the love of god) or are happily suffering from a placebo effect due to what they think absinthe should do to them.

DR absinthe is not like RL absinthe. There's some other kind of illicit substance in the stuff we can get in DR. Your guess is as good as mine as to what it could be.

Rev. Reene

Re: shops in this town 04/17/2007 02:19 AM CDT
Granted i only had the one but it had no Anise flavor to it at all.As for the hallucinogen effect again cant say i felt anything but nauseous.

Re: shops in this town 04/17/2007 02:42 AM CDT
>> As for the hallucinogen effect again cant say i felt anything but nauseous.

It's both high-proof and sweet. That's normal. :3

Rev. Reene

Re: shops in this town 04/17/2007 08:02 AM CDT
tujone or however it is spelled can cause retenal (i spelled that wrong as well,but its the eye thing) failure and seziures. It has never been proven or disproven as to weather or not it causes people to see things. As for the drink it is only illegal to sell in the US.
Re: shops in this town 04/17/2007 10:29 AM CDT
>> As for the drink it is only illegal to sell in the US.

That's not entirely true. There are several EU countries that still ban it or only recently lifted the ban (as recently as last year, as a matter of fact). Furthermore, even in places where it is permitted, I have had a hard time finding pubs that sell it (only 1 pub out of the 15-20 or so that I visited in London, for example).

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: shops in this town 04/17/2007 10:38 AM CDT
<<>> As for the drink it is only illegal to sell in the US.

<<That's not entirely true. There are several EU countries that still ban it or only recently lifted the ban (as recently as last year, as a matter of fact). Furthermore, even in places where it is permitted, I have had a hard time finding pubs that sell it (only 1 pub out of the 15-20 or so that I visited in London, for example).

I read it as it is only illegal to sell it in the US, not illegal to buy or consume it in the US.
Re: shops in this town 04/17/2007 01:24 PM CDT
>I read it as it is only illegal to sell it in the US, not illegal to buy or consume it in the US.

This is correct. You can purchase from somewhere else and have it shipped to you in the US.

Fuquois
Re: shops in this town 04/17/2007 03:37 PM CDT
>>>You can purchase from somewhere else and have it shipped to you in the US.<<<

I wish i had known this at the time.I would have brought back a bottle just so all my friends could experience the horror of that first shot.

>>>Furthermore, even in places where it is permitted, I have had a hard time finding pubs that sell it (only 1 pub out of the 15-20 or so that I visited in London, for example).<<<

I found it in almost every bar or club i was in.We traveled through Central Europe(Prague,Vienna,and Budapest).Though i did get the impression when we ordered it that it was a tourist thing and not so much something they had alot of call for from locals.Like I said in the previous post the only part i liked about it was the method of consumption.

Re: shops in this town 04/17/2007 04:24 PM CDT
>This is also true - while absinthe can contain thujone (a neurotoxin) due to it being distilled from wormwood, the marketable percentage of absinthe doesn't contain enough of anything to produce anything remotely close to a hallucinogenic effect. People who say otherwise are either drinking something that was made in a basement somewhere (which is very, very dangerous and can kill you so don't do it for the love of god) or are happily suffering from a placebo effect due to what they think absinthe should do to them.

Actually, there are places in Europe where wormwood in absinthe isn't illegal. But I don't remember if i had a good time or not. Heh, just kidding... sort of.
Re: shops in this town 04/17/2007 09:30 PM CDT
Absinthe in DR is slightly magical, not a hallucinogen. :)

~GameMaster Nhia
Weddings Team Coordinator
Elothean Champion Duo

"I was married once in an online fantasy game. We were thinking of having children, but it would have severely drained my power crystals." -- The Simpsons, comic book guy
Re: shops in this town 04/20/2007 12:03 AM CDT
Umm, Nhia...

Can you experiment a bit with two accounts, drink absinth repeatedly with one char, and watch "effects" from both chars.

I think it qualifies as a halucinagen
Re: shops in this town 04/20/2007 01:05 AM CDT
Magically-induced hallucinations exist too!

Rev. Reene

"Nobody knows you here. It's only people who know you that want to kill you." - Aeryn Sun, Farscape
Re: shops in this town 04/20/2007 01:17 AM CDT
>>Magically-induced hallucinations exist too!

Someone's been in the absinthe for too long judging by all this nonsense talk about magic.
Re: shops in this town 04/20/2007 06:04 AM CDT
<<Absinthe in DR is slightly magical, not a hallucinogen. :)>>

Can Barbarians drink it?

Non urinat in ventum
Re: shops in this town 04/20/2007 07:50 AM CDT
>>.Can Barbarians drink it?

Yes.
Re: shops in this town 04/22/2007 10:42 PM CDT
S'funny, I was just reading an article about Absinthe in a Specs magazine (Big liquor store chain here in Houston).

The author was discussing absinthe, and said that, if you buy the good stuff, that all the 'famous artists' were drinking, it induces an oddly crisp drunkeness; You are as alert and have normal clarity, but the drunk is there as well. Instead of being a double bacon tripple cheese burger, you were a canape, I suppose.

The author and the producer (chemist who back-tracked the original formula, and produces it in france, but lives in Louisiana), I believe drank it over ice, after a complicated mix/stir proceedure. The did not use sugar cubes. The author claimed it was one of the best, most envigorating drinks he had ever consumed.

No mention of wormwood, and he specifically said no hallucinations.
Re: shops in this town 09/02/2007 11:39 AM CDT
huldah surprise cake is a confirmed DR hallucinagin.

"This is a dream, Bret. Are you having a freak-y dream?"
Re: shops in this town 09/02/2007 05:23 PM CDT
>huldah surprise cake is a confirmed DR hallucinagin.

Hahaha, we figured that out the hard way.

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Hot hot hot scripts, Antique P5 maps, a macro tutorial, skill & stat training advice, and plenty of Bardly goodness.
Reckus 3 is out! Works for all guilds! 7/19/2007