The distinction between Aesry and Surlaenis 08/30/2013 10:27 PM CDT
So there's some evidence to suggest that Aesry is the city and Surlaenis is the island. For example, GM Cadaya's timeline refers to Surlaenis island three times. Elanthipedia also claims this, although I'm not sure what their basis is. On the other hand, I'm standing at the western edge of the island, well outside the city, and the room title is [Aesry Surlaenis'a, Cove]. So that suggests that Aesry is more than just the city. Could this be clarified?
Re: The distinction between Aesry and Surlaenis 08/31/2013 06:07 AM CDT
Aesry Surlaenis'a

Is elothean for roughly ocean's place.

Over time, between the IG people just butchering into their own shorthand, and also players (possibly even GMs) doing similar. That's where I think we see the changes.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: The distinction between Aesry and Surlaenis 08/31/2013 08:51 AM CDT
> Is elothean for roughly ocean's place.

Oceansong's place, actually. Or more poetically, place of oceansong.
Re: The distinction between Aesry and Surlaenis 08/31/2013 11:09 AM CDT
Thus I change my response to:

Over the years, the various inhabitants of Aesry Surlaenis'a have hacked and butchered their way through the words and used parts or just a singular word to term the place as they felt up to it, along with players and possibly GMs, instead of keeping with the whole words and thus meaning of Oceansong's Place [Aesry Surlaenis'a].

I'm sure places have seen similar erosions of their names over time. I mean look at the city of where I live. Buffalo, there have never been Buffalo that roamed this area of the US, it's far more likely that French inhabitants of the time were calling it something in French that was like Beautiful River, which I believe is something in the order of Beua Flu. Somehow over time, whatever it was did become Buffalo.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: The distinction between Aesry and Surlaenis 09/03/2013 03:51 PM CDT
The city itself is Aesry Surlaenis'a. I suspect that the rest of the island didn't originally have a name, but remember that most areas of the game are meant to be bigger than they actually look to players. There are likely small villages, etc., on the island and I would guess that it simply became called Surlaenis to differentiate the island from the city.