Telescopes 05/28/2013 01:05 PM CDT
Does anyone know if there are any fixed telescopes on Surlaenis'a? I have covered most of the island but have never seen one.
Re: Telescopes 05/28/2013 03:29 PM CDT
>Does anyone know if there are any fixed telescopes on Surlaenis'a?

I couldn't find any either. They're probably all installed inside the sentinels. Looks like the closest is Taisgath island. If you don't have a handheld telescope you could probably bribe Leihr to get you one - he spends a lot of time on Aesry. (Or convince the owner of Aesry to install one.)
Re: Telescopes 05/28/2013 04:17 PM CDT
Luckily I can use the ways to get to someplace that has one. I don't have a handheld one because I am hoping to pick up something better than the ones sold in Therenborough at a festival at some point. Hopefully Guild Fest will have a shop (although last year I think that the only telescope sold was limited to members of another sect -- but maybe that was Hallows Eve).
Re: Telescopes 05/28/2013 09:26 PM CDT
Adding a stationary telescope isn't hard.

If you can provide me a location where you'd like one added I'll look into it when my schedule calms down.

Bonus points if you provide a reason why it would be installed and a brief description.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Telescopes 05/28/2013 10:29 PM CDT
>Adding a stationary telescope isn't hard.
If you can provide me a location where you'd like one added I'll look into it when my schedule calms down.

Found 2 spots that seemed to fit with a telescope.
The first is higher elevation than the second and the room already has a view of the sky. It's the mansion of Ilerthan converted to a monastery to Lemicus but also just outside a library and wisdom training. As Lemicus is the patron of librarians and sailors there are many reasons for them to have access to telescopes to study the stars.

[Ger Ilerthan, East Wing]
A large window of small leaded glass panes unobstructed by hangings reflects the images of the small oil lamps lighting the passage in a warm, flickering glow. An open sliding door leads into the library, a haven for scholars in search of knowledge.
Obvious exits: north.

The smooth lines of the pale bamboo telescope standing before the large window invite a glimpse into the heavens.
>exam telescope
Fine kelpbell marquetry along the body of the telescope pays homage to Lemicus.

The 2nd spot is at a lower elevation but in a room also already set up to view the sky and on the 2nd floor of the building devoted to study of all sorts.

[Misrel Lemicus'a, Magical Studies Room]
Pale screen walls softly reflect the light within the room. Rows of bookcases hold glass or crystalline shelves laden with books upon the subjects of magic. Low tables, each with a glowing gaethzen sphere, are surrounded by worn cushions on which students may sit.
Obvious exits: out.

The rich aromatic smell of sandalwood draws your eye to the yellow, finely grained telescope pointed towards an observation window set into the ceiling.
>exam telescope
A tesselating seashell design has been cunningly carven into the telescope's heavy barrel.
Re: Telescopes 05/29/2013 02:17 PM CDT
I'm not being obsequious here, and I said it a couple of weeks ago - I'm just reacting to 15 preceding years of little GM boards involvement:

It would be pretty hard to make an argument suggesting that customer service in DR sucks now. I don't know what got into you people, but this is such a good vibe for customers. It actually "feels" different.
Re: Telescopes 05/29/2013 07:00 PM CDT
I can't really find or envision any better locations than those ones. Nice work! Love the descriptions of the telescopes.
Re: Telescopes 05/31/2013 02:01 AM CDT
>>[Ger Ilerthan, East Wing] and [Misrel Lemicus'a, Magical Studies Room]

Done.
The first is close to that room, and the second is in the suggested location.

=GM Jhustis=

=="The only place you'll find success before work is in the dictionary."==
Re: Telescopes 05/31/2013 03:06 AM CDT
Found a typo, room description says teakwood telescope in location 2 when it's a sandalwood telescope..

[Misrel Lemicus'a, Magical Studies Room]
Pale screen walls softly reflect the light within the room. Rows of bookcases hold glass or crystalline shelves laden with books upon the subjects of magic. Low tables, each with a glowing gaethzen sphere, are surrounded by worn cushions on which students may sit. A polished teakwood telescope points toward an observation window set into the ceiling.
Obvious exits: out.

But when you interact with the telescope...
>center teles on brig
You put your eye to the sandalwood telescope and attempt to center on the constellation of the Brigantine.
>tap tele
You tap a polished sandalwood telescope.

Thanks for getting these in place so quick!
Re: Telescopes 05/31/2013 09:09 AM CDT
Thank you for your quick response in installing two new telescopes for the residents of Aesry. I didn't expect that anyone would install even one (especially since I was just inquiring about the presence of telescope), let alone do it within a few days.
Re: Telescopes 05/31/2013 05:44 PM CDT
>>Found a typo...

Fixed.

=GM Jhustis=

=="The only place you'll find success before work is in the dictionary."==
Re: Telescopes 06/01/2013 11:28 AM CDT
Crafting societies? Please!

Aesry the place to be
Re: Telescopes 06/26/2013 04:29 PM CDT
>>Crafting societies? Please!

...workin' on it.

=GM Jhustis=