In town stairs... 01/12/2013 05:51 PM CST
Can someone take a quick look at the stamina drain on the stairs in the town?

I've got just under 500 ranks in climbing, and don't learn anything from running around town, but yet after to laps, I'm too tired to climb?

Thanks.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: In town stairs... 01/12/2013 08:10 PM CST
Isn't the issue with this that stairs always cost X amount of stamina, but once you get a certain amount of climbing you tend to run through the stairs so fast that the stamina costs become more notable?

In other words, if it takes 30 seconds to climb the stairs with climbing skill Y, you won't notice that it costs X amount of stamina that much because you tend to recover it during each of those 30 second pauses. But once you have Y*3 (or whatever), you notice the cost because the stamina cost remains the same but you travel up in 1/3rd (or whatever) of the time.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: In town stairs... 01/12/2013 08:26 PM CST
>Isn't the issue with this that stairs always cost X amount of stamina,

I don't think this is true, otherwise, no one would ever be able to make it over the Aesry stairs. Especially me.

Re: In town stairs... 01/14/2013 01:29 AM CST
They are also supposed to teach forever, but no longer teach. Something is definitely wrong.
Re: In town stairs... 01/14/2013 09:18 AM CST
>>They are also supposed to teach forever

Could you cite this? I know that there is something set up where the hardest range of climbables in the game teach forever because there is literally nothing harder than them, but I don't recall anything saying that the scripted stair events are meant to teach forever.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: In town stairs... 01/14/2013 10:29 AM CST
>>Could you cite this?

I remember it too. The stairs over the ridge are supposed to teach forever. I'd look it up using the incredibly awesome forum search function, but it just so happens we're playing a text based game that hasn't updated it's forums since the 1990's.

Anyways, the ridge does still teach (I get to 1/34) running over them @ 400+ ranks. The stairs in town, do not.

Re: In town stairs... 01/14/2013 10:55 AM CST
Found it:

#post

Aesry Update on 10/22/2007 08:53 PM EDT
DR-Dartenian
Heyo!

As you may recall, I did an informal survey a while back asking for what you folks liked most and hated most about Aesry. I just wanted to touch base and let everyone know that we've got some things in the works based on the results of the survey, some of which may be out as early this week. In random order...

(1) Expect to see some changes to the way the stairs work. This will probably be a two or three phase update.

The Eternal Climb on 10/24/2007 09:57 PM EDT
Heyo!

As of tonight, a few things have changed about the Aesry stairs. Before I get into the details, let me preface by saying that there's more to come later. The following changes are currently live in Prime and Platinum:

(1) It is now possible to reduce the time required to climb the stairs with sufficient climbing skill. There is a cap on how low you can reduce the time, but it's still a substantial reduction.

(2) When travelling with a group, the climbing skill of the group leader is used to determine the climb speed. This means people with high climbing skill can lead less skilled individuals up faster.

(3) The base experience per climb has been increased. However, the experience per climb is based largely on the time required to make the climb (and this is actually how it has always been), so the faster you can get up the stairs, the lower the experience. However...

(4) The stairs will now award experience indefinitely, instead of cutting off after a certain point as they did before. However, since the exp drops as the climb speed increases, once you cap out the climb speed you'll be at a much lower experience award, but at least you'll be getting something, unlike the present situation at higher skill levels. Note: even though the experience drops as the climb speed increases, you still come out ahead, since by the time your speed drops to where you are below the old experience levels, you are past the point where the old system would have cut you off completely.

(5) Because the base experience has been raised, and because the speed can be trained down, we also put in an experience timer to discourage long-term scripters on the stairs. Once you've hit a certain number of climbs over a given period of time, you'll no longer receive experience from the stairs for a while. To make this simple, if you just use the stairs to get from Point A to Point B (the docks to the gate, or visa versa), you'll get full experience. If you try scripting up and down the stairs continuously, you'll be waisting your time. The goal here is basic; reward people for using the stairs to get where they are going, discourage mindless scripting of the stairs for experience.

Please post replies, comments, concerns, and bugs in the DragonRealms>Places, Cities, and Provinces>Aesry folder.

TF will follow on Friday if nothing major breaks.

- GM Dartenian

"So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried, he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled that thing
That couldn't be done and he did it."
- Edgar Guest

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: In town stairs... 01/14/2013 04:29 PM CST
>> Could you cite this?

Was brought up on 11/23/2012 with the link to Dartenians original post.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Places,%20Cities%20and%20Provinces%20of%20DragonRealm's%20Elanthia/Aesry%20Surlaenis'a/view/1063
Re: In town stairs... 03/03/2013 10:35 AM CST
I'm not the Aesry person, but I just saw this thread and I'll bring it to someone's attention!

~ Lyneya
Re: In town stairs... 03/03/2013 09:37 PM CST
Thanks Lyneya

Aesry the place to be
Re: In town stairs... 08/11/2014 06:04 PM CDT
So, I came to post about this, but it appears there's already been some discussion.

Could we nudge this and get it looked at? The fatigue drain is absurd -- just moving from the bank to the leather repair drops me to 20% or lower stamina at 118 athletics. I can only imagine how bad it'd be with higher climbing moving faster.
Re: In town stairs... 08/12/2014 05:59 AM CDT
I've never had an issue with it. I just can't run to a dozen different places without resting and recovering a bit, but it's not a big deal for me. I went from 38 ranks in Athletics to well over 200 and just learned to be patient when running around town. It also helped me to make sure any runs that I made up and down the stairs were absolutely necessary and well-considered. Even at over 400 ranks in Athletics and 50 in stamina I still had to stop and smell the roses, but it didn't bother me to do so. I like the "feel" of being exhausted from all the climbing.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: In town stairs... 08/12/2014 10:56 AM CDT
<<I've never had an issue with it. I just can't run to a dozen different places without resting and recovering a bit, but it's not a big deal for me. I went from 38 ranks in Athletics to well over 200 and just learned to be patient when running around town. It also helped me to make sure any runs that I made up and down the stairs were absolutely necessary and well-considered. Even at over 400 ranks in Athletics and 50 in stamina I still had to stop and smell the roses, but it didn't bother me to do so. I like the "feel" of being exhausted from all the climbing.

I disagree. The stairs outside town to the ridge appear to be working correctly. I.e. you can run up or down all (six?) sets of them without needing a break. Heck you can even run back the other way immediately after and still not have significant fatigue issues. The stairs inside town, however, are ridiculously fatiguing. Running from the bank to the furrier (2 sets), selling your bundles, and then running back to the bank (2 steps) causes you to be unable to take the last set of steps until fatigue regenerates. I.e. not even half of the length of the climb up the mountain stairs (likely far less due to the way distances scale in town vs. outside if you want to bring in a realism angle) and you can't make it.

This kind of significant choke point is fine over long distances, such as with the ice road or boats, but has no place inside a town. The time it takes to climb the stairs itself should be choke point enough.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: In town stairs... 08/14/2014 10:29 AM CDT
The fatigue drain for stairs seems to be static. If one set of stairs collectively costs me 30% stamina, it doesn't matter if I finish climbing them in 1 pulse of stair-climb-messaging or 100 pulses of stair-climb-messaging.

So, the more athleticism you get, the faster you finish each block of stairs, so you feel the fatigue hit notably harder than if you were passively getting fatigue back as you scripted through each block of stairs.

>>It also helped me to make sure any runs that I made up and down the stairs were absolutely necessary and well-considered. Even at over 400 ranks in Athletics and 50 in stamina I still had to stop and smell the roses, but it didn't bother me to do so. I like the "feel" of being exhausted from all the climbing.

Except it's dumb. Fatigue drain from scripted stairs seems to have been developed at a time where people wouldn't just fly through them due to skill levels allowing them to. I'm not encouraged to smell the roses, I'm encouraged to ignore the game and do something else while my character recovers.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: In town stairs... 08/14/2014 10:56 AM CDT
I'm really not a fan of the scripted stairs. The fatigue drain I can live with. Having both is just not fun.

To me, the stairs break the immersion because the repeated wait time between rooms makes me use a script instead of navigating by hand, kinda like the ice rooms in Hib.

With fatigue drain on top of the wait times, it just means my script takes longer to run and I'm reading the boards longer.