Raesh's Author of the Month [Feb] 02/27/2015 01:51 PM CST
Okay, so, this one isn't technically late.

February's pick is:

Brent Weeks

>The Night Angel Trilogy
The Way of Shadows
Shadow's Edge
Beyond the Shadows

>Lightbringer
The Black Prism
The Blinding Knife
The Broken Eye
(ongoing)

Brent Weeks' initial series, The Night Angel Trilogy, didn't overly impress me. It's rather dark and all about assassins and unintended consequences but I really don't remember much about it and wasn't inspired to reread it. I likely will at some point and may reevaluate things (This happens with me. I usually read books two or three times) but that's my stance for now.

The Lightbringer series is something else. I didn't go into it with overly high hopes and was less impressed when the first PoV in the series is a young boy named "Kip" (Hero's Journey? Again? Kip??) but keep going. "The Black Prism" is actually very interesting with a quickly and unique magic system that is far deeper than it appears at first glance. The second book builds and improves on everything and, surprisingly, I find myself increasing fond of Kip. "The Broken Eye" things start to get a bit weird - but it continues to be highly enjoyable. Since it's an ongoing series it's worth noting that the books don't particularly stand on their own.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Feb] 02/27/2015 02:19 PM CST
I enjoyed the Shadow trilogy greatly, was a nice break from my norm high fantasy. Will def have to checkout Lightbringer.