Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/03/2014 03:44 PM CST
As some of you may know - I've got a book problem. I hoard hardbacks and never leave the house without a book in hand. I read most of them twice. Or three times. So it should come as no surprise that I've decided to start a monthly tradition (Defined as doing it once, and I may do it again) of sharing an author with all of you. Maybe your taste is similar to mine. Maybe it isn't. Only one way to know.

Now, I expect those who know me think I'm going to kick things off with Brandon Sanderson, don't you? Well, I'm not.

This month's pick is:

Max Gladstone

>The Craft Sequence
Three Parts Dead
Two Serpents Rise
Full Fathom Five
Last First Snow (Out next July)

Each book stands alone, though there are some shared characters and chronology (they aren't linear) so you can start on any of them. Of course, I never recommend starting a series anywhere but the start.

Gladstone's books are almost certainly unlike anything you've read, and they're amazing and thought provoking as they blend capitalism, magic and religion. Rarely has an author instantly joined my ranks of favorites as fast as Gladstone (You'll meet the rest of them in the months to come). I've tried to describe them before, but I just can't top this description from the flap of Full Fathom Five by Elizabeth Bear:

>The Craft Sequence books are all about ancient necromancers in charge of corporations; liches running litigation; court battles fought by means of sorcerous contests; deities dueling by means of legal proxies; and stock-trading souls. It's fantasy as a metaphor for the full metastatic flower of late-stage capitalism, and it's both vicious satire and totally engaging adventure all at once.

They also get bonus points from me for being really delightful hardbacks - nice overall quality, sleek matching dust-jackets, and beautiful covers.

While I certainly won't discourage people from sharing other authors in this thread I do request we keep them mostly focused on one author at a time. Give people who haven't encountered the month's author a chance to read about them and come back to the thread. Try and be respectful about flagging spoilers - our forums can't hide them, so please avoid any major ones. We can start up a spoiler thread if anyone really wants to go that deep.

-Raesh

“The God Wars had not been a pleasant time for Craftsmen and Craftswomen around the world. One day, you’re a simple thaumaturge, idly meddling in matters man was not meant to comprehend. The next, a collection of beings as old as humanity, with legions of followers, declare war on your “kind”, and neighbours who once thought you a harmless eccentric with a fondness for mystic sigils and foul unguents see you as an affront to Creation.”
― Max Gladstone, Three Parts Dead
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/03/2014 05:49 PM CST
That sounds pretty interesting. Grabbed a sample of the first book for my Kindle, gonna try to give it a read as soon as I finish the current book I'm working on. I get the feeling I'll like it, though. I'm pretty fond of settings that mix modern and fantasy elements, and have them a bit more integrated than just standard urban fantasy. (Although that can be entertaining as well.) I'll refrain from going off on a tangent about that and dragging in other authors, though, and just get back to this once I've had a chance to get into Three Parts Dead.

- Miskton
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/03/2014 06:49 PM CST
I grabbed the first one as well, very interesting premise and I have never heard of the author. That in itself is good enough for me to pick it up and read it.
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/03/2014 09:18 PM CST

Raesh, those are awesome.

I'm not sure if you've read books by David Weber. I'm a serious fan of military space opera type books and Weber is responsible for a decades long running series centered around a heroine who was modeled after Horatio Hornblower.

This is a link to the first book in the series, there's well over 15 so far.

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-304-on-basilisk-station.aspx

Weber also writes for many different genres than just this. He's also a preacher and has done a fantastic job of creating religion and creating depth in his universes. I'd definitely suggest you take a look if you don't know the series yet.
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/04/2014 11:35 AM CST
Yes, David Weber's "The Honor of the Queen" was the first book of his I ever read. Got me hooked after that.

Of course fantasy goes to Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern series. Along, with Terry Brooks Shannara series.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/05/2014 02:30 PM CST
Speaking as someone that was taken to Powell's by Raesh in person.. My "To Read" list expanded by about thirty books in one day.

His picks have so far been Very Excellent.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/05/2014 02:32 PM CST
Muwahahahaha.

Everyone should go to Powell's at least once.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/07/2014 10:31 PM CST
I had a horde of hardback and paperbacks then the wife said sucker get that crap out the house, so they went to the used book store in san jose which was my favorite place on saturday morning. Now, I live inside my nexus 7 and Amazon while sticking it to the woman....well buying what I want and she can't say my library is larger than the garage.

Arct
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/08/2014 09:27 PM CST
>so they went to the used book store in san jose which was my favorite place on saturday morning.

Heh, I think I know the book store you talk about. The used book store in downtown over by the weird 60s diner/burrito place?

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/21/2014 01:04 PM CST
My only complaint, he doesn't have his first book on audible (or in audiobook form). I prefer to "read" that way.

Nikpack
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/21/2014 01:35 PM CST
http://www.audiobooks.com/audiobook/three-parts-dead/147478

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/21/2014 03:25 PM CST
This reminds me that this thread exists. I've read all three available books now, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I liked Three Parts Dead the most, but the others were good as well. Though I had some trouble relating to the motivations of some of the characters in Full Fathom Five, but that's just me. (I also thought some of them didn't think their plans through very well, but hey, that happens with people all the time.)

The setting did work out to be more or less what I was hoping for, in the form of a world with many modern aspects, but powered mostly by magic. It's an idea that I've had a fondness for ever since I first read The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump, by Harry Turtledove. I'd definitely recommend that one to people, and this reminds me that it's been a while since I last read it, myself. I should rectify that soon.

Hoping for another edition of this next month, since I'm always looking for new things to read!

- Miskton
Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/21/2014 09:13 PM CST
>>Hoping for another edition of this next month, since I'm always looking for new things to read!

There will be. Unless something drastic changes my mind before then I've already got the author in mind. (Note: If you don't see a post from me in the first week or so of Dec feel free to remind me because /holidays).

As an aside, would people be interested in a similar thread for TV shows (Not sure how long I could keep that one going...), movies, video games or something like that?

-Raesh

Re: Raesh's Author of the Month [Nov] 11/24/2014 10:03 AM CST
<<As an aside, would people be interested in a similar thread for TV shows (Not sure how long I could keep that one going...), movies, video games or something like that?

How about a visual media thread, combining movies and TV shows?

Nikpack