Voting for Dragonrealms 04/09/2017 07:33 PM CDT
I've noticed that in the past year there has been far fewer votes for Dragonrealms at http://www.topmudsites.com/. Where I used to see Dragonrealms in the top 10, it is not even in the top 20 anymore and surely there are enough players who feel it is good enough for the top 20. Has everyone just gotten to lazy to vote. I know sometimes I forget too, but it really doesn't take that many votes to be in the top 20. Gemstone is still usually in the top 10.

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Bertrand Russell
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=love
Re: Voting for Dragonrealms 04/09/2017 08:35 PM CDT
Players stopped voting because

A) the site that runs the vote also owns the 'magically' top ranked MUD while running vote schemes that would disqualify any other participants. Seriously, nothing has ever come close to dethroning it

B) people were seeing far more increase in players and activity from some (free) reddit ads and subreddit activity

C) If we're honest, a steep decline in quality of the game over the past year as it shifted to focus on pushing paid events to pad the owners pockets; I can't honestly suggest the game to anyone when it has the grind of a Korean MMO without the content, and is slowing adding in more pay-to-play events (flex creatures require paid materials) and so on.
Re: Voting for Dragonrealms 04/09/2017 11:02 PM CDT
I stopped voting mainly because it was a pain. I did it for a while but I can only stand so much!

- Navesi
Re: Voting for Dragonrealms 04/09/2017 11:57 PM CDT
>>I think DR falls into the category of elite games for several reasons. One, it has evolved for the better. Guilds make much more sense, the magic is structured well, because of skills balance is less of an issue (many will >>disagree with me on this but it's true), it has plenty of verbs to keep somebody entertained, and the combat despite how repetitive it is long term, really is something to behold. I don't think somebody has to have a desire to RP >>initially to get roped into RPing in DR. The game is contagious.

I agree with you on all of this. I usually don't say the good things about the game, because I usually only say something when I feel something needs fixing, and if it isn't broken then why try to fix it. I really like the crafting system right now too. The crafting systems can be a bit difficult to learn at first, but once you figure them out they become quite easy to use.

I did quit for a bit when I felt players were smashing gweths for the dumbest little things, but the new gwething system has creatively dealt with that issue. The game isn't perfect for me, but no game can be perfect for any one person as it has to appeal to a variety of people. I always find myself returning to DR.

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Bertrand Russell
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=love