Roleplaying a Book's Publication 02/22/2003 07:25 PM CST
I'm wondering what my character does after he writes a book. Obviously, he doesn't email it to GMs Cadaya, Porlock, and Kaspien -- but what does he do? How does it get from him to the library in which it ends up; does he send it to the library directly, where a manuscript reviewal committee decides whether or not to add it to their collection, or is there some sort of third party involved -- the Elanthian equivalent of an agent or publisher?

I realize that this situation could be roleplayed differently by each individual (the old-maid librarian at Asemath Academy is infatuated with your smooth-talking cousin, a library clerk, and he convinces her to sneak your book onto the shelves with much flirtatious winking), within reason. I guess what I'm really asking is: What is within reason? What logically fits into the DR world?

Iyrvet
Re: Roleplaying a Book's Publication 07/05/2003 06:58 PM CDT
Saw that this didn't get a response and I thought I'd try my hand:

<<I'm wondering what my character does after he writes a book. Obviously, he doesn't email it to GMs Cadaya, Porlock, and Kaspien -- but what does he do? How does it get from him to the library in which it ends up; does he send it to the library directly, where a manuscript reviewal committee decides whether or not to add it to their collection, or is there some sort of third party involved -- the Elanthian equivalent of an agent or publisher?

I realize that this situation could be roleplayed differently by each individual (the old-maid librarian at Asemath Academy is infatuated with your smooth-talking cousin, a library clerk, and he convinces her to sneak your book onto the shelves with much flirtatious winking), within reason. I guess what I'm really asking is: What is within reason? What logically fits into the DR world?>>

There are a lot of ways a character could go about this. In the DR world, most likely what s/he would do is seek out a well-to-do trader and market the book. This is if it was a story or a play. If it was a work of "nonfiction," s/he might petition whatever organization was most closely related to the book's subject. For example, if my S'Kra character writes a reference book aimed at the scaleless on the traditions of Sraan Rasha, it would be logical for that character to go to the Sraan Rasha elders, both for approval of the book and for aid in publishing it. In the medieval world the endeavor of publishing a book was an extremely involved thing. Even better for a character's point of view would be if s/he wrote a book that would catch the interest of a clerical order. Clerics, due to their focus on self discipline and on wisdom, tend to be excellent scribes and copiers, so the right clerical order could swiftly make many copies of a given work.

So yes, long story short, it depends on the individual and it depends upon the book in question. But I think the important thing to remember is that there are a LOT of options for roleplaying if you've gotten a book published. It could be as simple as having a wealthy aunt who funded a group of monks to make a hundred copies of your book and circulate them, or it could be as complicated as having your character spend years seeking the right merchant to fund an independent publication.

--Ellerina

"It is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, and certainly not desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off."
-- Woody Allen
Re: Roleplaying a Book's Publication 07/06/2003 10:28 PM CDT
Thank you for the reply, Ellerina; I appreciate it -- some very helpful information and ideas. I'd been overlooking the notion that 'publication' does not necessarily equate a single copy of a book on a single library shelf. Of course a rich aunt could fund a wide circulation scheme! Of course a humble-yet-gifted farmer who writes exquisite pastoral verse about tubers could laboriously scrawl out three copies of his opus, "Ode ta Taters," to give to his neighbors, one of whom knows a wheelwright who knows a shipping clerk who knows a self-styled patron of the arts...

The bit about clerical orders also hadn't occurred to me. Quite interesting indeed!

Much to ponder, much to plan. :)

Iyrvet
Re: Roleplaying a Book's Publication 09/29/2003 12:39 AM CDT
Hi I wrote three books, submitted them and got a nice email.

Now it's been almost a year and still not a peep...I'd like to know if they are going to be printed before I attempt further writing.

Thanks

Lashansa Visolela

A ship's rat scurries into view.
The ship's rat tries to tend its wounds.
Re: Roleplaying a Book's Publication 03/17/2004 04:17 AM CST
Almost a year? I wrote a book on basic horsemanship and it's still not seen the light of day. I wrote the thing within a week of the horse system coming out ;)

I'm with you though - not writing anything else until the first stuff comes out.

---Brett
Re: Roleplaying a Book's Publication 04/05/2004 05:08 PM CDT
I reread my email, it's closer to two years actually now.

Since Cadaya quit I doubt those books will ever be published now.

OH WELL.

Getting Married? Need help?
Ask me!

Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Richard Anthony
Re: Roleplaying a Book's Publication 02/21/2005 10:16 AM CST
yay! My book finally got published IG.

Check the Leth Deriel Library

A dark brown Zoluren marnet scampers after a small beetle then chitters with disappointment as the insect unfurls its wings and flies away.