Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 04/29/2011 04:55 PM CDT
So, um, I don't normally do things like this... but I wanted to tell a RL story real quick... and then ask a favor. for those who don't really feel like listening, feel free to ignore.

When I came home from my second deployment, my family was lucky enough to get picked as a family to participate in a really cool thing called operation R&R for returning soldiers and their families, out of Hilton Head, SC. W0e had a great time, and really were able to reconnect.

We have since been selected for a contest they held, called "trip of a lifetime"... out of like 600 families that did Operation R&R, we're down to the final three... and we're one of them. I'd like to link you guys the webzine address so you guys can read the essays the three families wrote... and encourage you to follow the second link I'll put up, which will allow you to vote on them. I would also like to say that this operation R&R program is amazing, and encourage you guys to take a look at the actual website (operationrestandrelax.com).

Anyways... here's the link.
http://www.pagegangster.com/p/kOYzh/

The article starts at page 36-37 you can get to it on the bottom toolbar at that page. The voting link is http://www.celebratehiltonhead.com/operation_rr_voting/2227/trip-of-a-lifetime-voting.

We're family number 2, the Herschede family. Thanks for the time.

By the way, anyone can vote, so feel free to spam this to your friends, my family would very much appreciate it.

Matthew Herschede
Re: Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 04/30/2011 06:50 PM CDT
I came across your post by pure chance, since I rarely browse the forums and I'm not sure I knew this folder existed until today. I'm now on terminal leave after over 8 years in the Navy and will finally be back home in Charleston in one month. I've spent my share of time with "boots on the ground" in Iraq and the Horn of Africa, and my son was born 2 months into a deployment and my daughter six weeks before another one, so I know very well what it feels like to miss your family and the intense emotions of homecomings... So I will simply say "I feel ya, brother", you have my vote, and best wishes for you and your family.

Operation R&R sounds like a wonderful thing. I've seen so much goodness and appreciation in this country since I enlisted, it's sometimes overwhelming. When I get home and get settled I'm going to see how that expansion into Charleston is coming and if I can do anything to help. Thanks for your post, otherwise I may never have known about it.
Re: Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 05/01/2011 06:53 AM CDT
My pleasure. I'm glad to put this information out as much as I can, because I really think that this program can benefit Service Members all over the nation trying to get over a long deployment as reconnect with their families.
Re: Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 05/01/2011 09:45 AM CDT
You got my vote! Thanks for your service.
Re: Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 05/01/2011 05:17 PM CDT
>You got my vote! Thanks for your service.

Seconded!
Re: Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 05/01/2011 05:46 PM CDT
thank you very much. :)
Re: Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 05/01/2011 09:55 PM CDT
I'm trying to get the message out and about through face book... not sure how well it is working, but here is hoping.

And you got my vote, and appreciation goes out to all the armed service members.

Re: Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 05/04/2011 11:47 AM CDT
You have my vote, sir. Thanks for your service.
Re: Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 05/05/2011 03:14 AM CDT
I'm glad I got my vote in time. Best of luck and enjoy the Catamaran!

Deadly Deretis Desitus, Soldier of Ratha
Brad
Operation R&R Trip of a lifetime. 05/14/2011 09:10 PM CDT
Hi guys. I did this once when voting opened, but voting is just about to close, and I want you guys to have the opportunity to vote if you want to. Please go to http://www.celebratehiltonhead.com/article/2217/who-will-win-the-trip-of-a-lifetime to view the three letters, and if you would, vote for us, the Herschede family at http://www.celebratehiltonhead.com/operation_rr_voting/2227/trip-of-a-lifetime-voting

Voting closes at midnight, so if you wanted to, and haven't gotten a chance to, please take a minute and vote.

SGT Matthew Herschede