Re: Barbarians and smiting skill Crosspost from Smithing Skill Folder 01/05/2008 08:27 AM CST
DANFORDS2 yes women do serve in the field. I said the aren't in combat units which is mainly what that reg is for, and if you are over in Afghanistan you should well know that for combat troops a shower is something they can't get everyday. Much like your doing now I played in that very same sandbox for 18 months. I'm not attacking you personally, having served I say may the gods bless you and hope that you make it back stateside in one piece.
Re: Barbarians and smiting skill Crosspost from Smithing Skill Folder 01/06/2008 05:34 AM CST
>yes women do serve in the field

I made the distinction because you are not likely to get lice or ticks in combat, you're likely to get it in the field. I do understand your point about combat arms personnel spending quite a bit of time away from showers, though, and that's why commanders can add to the regulations.

>I said the aren't in combat units which is mainly what that reg is for

This is my main problem. Army no longer has a reg keeping our hair short. I had my hair about 1 1/2 inches on top and got yelled at by an Army Colonel while using the latrine. I'm not combat arms or directly supporting them, he hasn't put out a policy letter to let people know he's adding onto the regulation, and I do have showers available to me all the time so hygiene is hardly an issue. So I'm a little upset being forced to pay somebody to cut my hair in a manner that I don't like, when my hair met the Army regulations before getting the haircut. That's why I bring it up as a silly tradition; I'm a little bitter about it right now.

>I say may the gods bless you and hope that you make it back stateside in one piece.

And I thank you. Somehow got transferred to running a post office (even though it's not my MOS), so I know how much people like getting support from back home, and I know I appreciate it. I am getting very near the end of my tour, and should be home in under two months. I'm still debating what I'm going to do when I get home... Massive roadtrip, or get a job.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Barbarians and smiting skill Crosspost from Smithing Skill Folder 01/06/2008 06:23 AM CST
>>Army no longer has a reg keeping our hair short.

AR 670-1
Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia

1-8. Hair and fingernail standards and grooming policies
a. Hair.
(2) Male haircuts will conform to the following standards.
"The length and bulk of the hair may not be excessive or present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. The hair must present a tapered appearance."

The regulation is intentionally written using vague language that allows whoever is in charge to make whatever decision they like, regardless of whether it strictly exceeds 27mm or whatever arbitrary length. "Therefore, it is the responsibility of leaders at all levels to exercise good judgment in the enforcement of Army policy."

Basically the regulation states that your hair is too long when the Colonel tells you your hair is too long. It sucks a little, but the reg certainly does require us to keep our hair short. See also the section which forbids hairstyles which interfere with the proper wear of any headgear.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Ruea says, "I swear, I'm forsaking Damaris and building an altar to you."
Re: Barbarians and smiting skill Crosspost from Smithing Skill Folder 01/06/2008 01:10 PM CST
Army regs are also a little different from Marine regs. Marine regs aren't as vague. The paint it nice and clear, not to exceed the bottom of the ear lob and no more than 3 inches on top and must be tapered.
Re: Barbarians and smiting skill Crosspost from Smithing Skill Folder 01/06/2008 11:21 PM CST
I date a navy guy and his requirments are like the marine's
Re: Barbarians and smiting skill Crosspost from Smithing Skill Folder 01/07/2008 09:14 AM CST
Lol, he's probably a corps man attached to a Marine unit. Most do it because they are so close just easier to fit in.
Re: Barbarians and smiting skill Crosspost from Smithing Skill Folder 01/17/2008 04:44 AM CST
>not to exceed the bottom of the ear lob and no more than 3 inches on top and must be tapered.

All I can say is, I was within Marine Regs. Three inches is a lot.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus