Gaming Overseas 02/01/2007 05:07 PM CST
Hi all,
I'm a Sergeant in the Army and I'm getting ready to leave my mob station, at which I have regrettably been cut off from game play, and I'm told that most locations overseas now offer internet through MWR. I'm curious if anyone knows if they have similar firewall restrictions or if it is possible to play through these connections. I've heard that people play WoW overseas, but not playing the game myself I don't personally know of anybody.

Thanks!

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
(Petitioning for Last Names for Elanthians of not so olde)
Re: Gaming Overseas 02/02/2007 04:33 AM CST
I'm not sure about firewall restrictions on MWR comps BUT...make friends with your signal guys. They have internet and phones. If they tell you they don't, you're not friends with them yet. I did four years in a Signal battalion (Not a signal MOS myself) and these guys are walking internet connections.

Chris

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer
Re: Gaming Overseas 02/03/2007 12:33 AM CST
well.... I am a signal guy. :) in fact, one of the new 25N folks, and while it's true that I have phones, and internet... I gotta say this. I am in the field at stewart right now, and while I have access to the internet, and these forums, I have been completely unable to make the computer access the actual game. It's likely a port being closed or something, but I haven't figured out a workaround, and when I try to launch the game, I get the error from way-back when regarding AOL customers having issues playing the game. So, while it's always good to befriend a signal guy, sometimes, they really can't help... on another note, if anyone has a workaround regarding how to get the game to connect with the "AOL customers may have issues accessing this game, please use internet explorer" or something similar message, please, toss 'em out, and maybe, just maybe bud, I can help you out when you and I are both over there(shipping may 15th, here.)

Xinane
Re: Gaming Overseas 02/03/2007 04:45 AM CST
25 November you say? Most of the guys I knew were the 31R type that turned into 25Q I think? It would be the S-6 people (U somthen or other I think) who controll the admin security on the comps, which becomes fantastically (and confusingly) lax once overseas. I think the tactic was to bring your own computer and plug into the Niper though, so you didn't have to worry so much about those DOD computer hastle.

Anyway, I know it's possible, you're just gonna have to find or become the right "people" to get it done.

-Serc

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer