I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/18/2016 04:15 PM CST
I do miss the rains...
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/18/2016 05:47 PM CST
It rained for 6 months straight last year. You'll get your rain.

Unless you're in west/southwest Texas.
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/19/2016 01:29 AM CST

Houston! Had some sick thunder and lightning a couple weeks ago though, like the hand of God punched the earth.. XD thought a plane crashed tbh. .. still didn't rain very much that night.
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/20/2016 04:03 PM CST
Puyallup here. I'll get extra-drowned on your behalf. :D

~Aislynn
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/20/2016 05:28 PM CST
Ooh, do you enjoy visitors trying to pronounce it? I miss that about Washington. That and Sequim.
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/20/2016 08:30 PM CST

I enjoy showing people the old Puyallup Fair commercial.

>>You can do it at a trot you can do it at a gallop you can do it real slow so your heart won't pal-pa-tate, juuust don't be late. Do the Puyallup!

When responding to something, make sure you have the facts. Otherwise you are just wasting time. -sig-
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/23/2016 05:10 PM CST
I'm not sure I like the new slogan... Do the Puyallup was just amusing.
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/24/2016 10:26 PM CST
<Ooh, do you enjoy visitors trying to pronounce it? I miss that about Washington. That and Sequim.>

Gods, yes... Most of my job involves working with folks down in California.. They absolutely CANNOT pronounce it correctly.

"Errr. Poooo-yallup?"

~Aislynn
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/25/2016 08:13 PM CST
>>Most of my job involves working with folks down in California.. They absolutely CANNOT pronounce it correctly.<<

Well, I used to live in California, and most people from other states could never properly pronounce those towns and counties that had Hispanic names.

The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.

Abraham Lincoln

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html#QHdX1KWUxuDHdcHr.99
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/25/2016 08:23 PM CST
Yeah, you definitely get that everywhere. I'm originally from Wisconsin, and we use a lot of Native American city names, from several different tribes no less. They did a bit during the last Super Bowl the Packers were in where they went around asking random people in Texas to pronounce them. Yeah, it was amusing, but I didn't fault anyone, there are some very unusual names.

So, now I live in Illinois, and what gets me here is that they have a number of towns named after European cities, but have entirely 'muricanized' the pronunciation. Versailles, for example, has become Vare-sales.
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/25/2016 09:09 PM CST
Yeah so, I used to live in Wales...

Try pronouncing Llandudno. The double-L is actually a sound we don't have in English. It was fun times.

- Navesi
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/25/2016 09:38 PM CST
>So, now I live in Illinois, and what gets me here is that they have a number of towns named after European cities, but have entirely 'muricanized' the pronunciation. Versailles, for example, has become Vare-sales.

Same here in Missouri.
New Madrid (Mad-rid instead of mah-Drid)
Cairo (care-O)
Illinois (Illy-noise)
Courtois Creek (Coat-away creek)

I could go on and on.
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 02/29/2016 12:24 PM CST
>Yeah so, I used to live in Wales...
>Try pronouncing Llandudno. The double-L is actually a sound we don't have in English. It was fun times.

And if you can get manage that, try the expert level:
http://imgur.com/RCkhPeM
Re: I live in Texas now, but i'm from Tacoma, Washington! 07/16/2016 03:42 PM CDT
><Ooh, do you enjoy visitors trying to pronounce it? I miss that about Washington. That and Sequim.>

I have to admit I like to intentionally mispronounce it as rhymes-with-Sequin, just because it makes me imagine everyone there walking around in glittery evening wear. Having been through the town a few times, it's even more amusing. And though I've been in Washington for 20 years (I'm a few months from officially having lived here longer than my home state of MN, yeesh), I still fumble with Puyallup.

Ok fine thread necro, but this folder doesn't get much love anyways.