Go Ducks! 10/02/2010 11:18 PM CDT
THAT was an enjoyable game.

Heck of a call on that onside kick.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Go Ducks! 10/02/2010 11:51 PM CDT
Yeah, after that game I think they have a good chance of going undefeated. So they will get to play in the consolation bowl against Boise State.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/03/2010 12:43 AM CDT
Ducks sorta stumbled into some luck - all the hard games, or at least games we expected to be hard, were at home last season (Cal, USC, OSU). This year the games that look to be the roughest are also all at home - Stanford, Arizona and... I'm almost afraid to list UCLA. OSU and USC don't seem nearly as scary this year.

At this point it's sort of a race to see who stumbles first between Oregon, 'Bama and Ohio. All three are still looking at a gauntlet of ranked teams.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Go Ducks! 10/03/2010 03:37 PM CDT
I really doubt 'bama falling. They look like they could beat a few NFL teams. If it happens, will be last game of year vs Auburn. Ohio looks good to me if they can score enough points to beat Robinson..err mean Michigan(and if he stays healthy, he should be Heisman winner).

And you beat Stanford before you wrote this post. What is wrong with you? You play Arizona after they play Stanford and USC, then looking ahead to inter-state rival ASU. Think you should take them.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/03/2010 04:03 PM CDT
I really doubt Arizona is going to overlook the Ducks after what we did to them last year.

I also don't really see 'Bama failing. Oregon MIGHT be able to jump Ohio in the polls of Ohio puts out lackluster wins and the Ducks keep up their playstation numbers.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/05/2010 09:37 PM CDT
The civil war game is going to be a massacre.

Kaxis

Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, you thrust a peach knife at a sky giant. A sky giant fails to dodge, moving directly into the blow.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/16/2010 11:40 PM CDT
Ohio St loses. Seems the ducks have a good path to the championship bowl. Though, the winner of next weeks LSU-Auburn game will considered the top team in the country in my book, unless its decided by a bad offical call.

With the way its looking, the only undefeated teams might be BSU and TCU. That be a great game, lol. Repeat after me kiddies, playoff system.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/17/2010 03:14 AM CDT
Buwahahahahaa.

What a nutty day for football. Somehow I'm really glad the Ducks had a free pass through the day.

Of course, last time we were highly ranked was The Year Of The Cursed #2. Here's hoping this doesn't turn into the Year Of The Curse #1!

Pac-10 is crazy this year...

UCLA - You'd think this would be an easy one, but well... who the heck knows. Shut out by Standford, crushed by Cal, yet they blow out Texas.

@USC - Just when you start to think USC really isn't any good this year, they go and DEVASTATE Cal today. Who knows.

@Washingon - Okay, THIS one should be easy.

@Cal - Another team that can't decide if it's any good or not.

Arizona - Just when you think they're the third solid team in the Pac (Along with Oregon and Stanford) the barely beat Cal at home and drop one to OSU at home.

@OSU - Gotta fear the Civil War, particularly on the road, but OSU is yet another horrifically inconsistent Pac-10 team.

Seriously -- Any given day in the Pac-10 seems to the be the rule. Anyone except Washington State at least.

I mean, we're talking three teams (Nearly 4, curse you ASU!) that have taken down a Top Ten team (On the road twice) but also dropped a game to an unranked team.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/17/2010 05:47 AM CDT
>Seriously -- Any given day in the Pac-10 seems to the be the rule. Anyone except Washington State at least.

To be honest, there's a lot of parity across division I football these days. That's why these things happen. In how many games are the teams separated by less than 7 points with less than 5 minutes left in the game?

It makes watching the games that much more fun!

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Go Ducks! 10/17/2010 07:59 AM CDT
You're talking to a Ducks fan here. Being up by only three touchdowns is a "close game". Average margin of victory: 38 points baby!

Seriously though, close games are one thing but look at UCLA for example:

@Kansas Stat L 31-22
#25 Standford L 35-0
#23 Houston W 31-13
@#7 Texas W 34-12
@WSU W 42-28
@Cal L 35-7

That's not close games. That's bipolar!

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/17/2010 07:34 PM CDT
Wow, Oklahoma #1. Oregon #2. Not the best for the ducks. Maybe they can get ahead of the Sooners with strength of schedule. The problem may be Auburn or LSU. If either of those win out they are going to jump big with the remaining games they have.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/17/2010 08:14 PM CDT
Yeah, haven't been expecting Oregon as #1 in the BCS for awhile -- was just a question of Oklahoma or Boise.

Boise's schedule only gets weaker from here, LSU and Auburn play each other, and both have to go through 'Bama so I'm not terribly worried about them.

Hard to say who has the harder schedule from here on out, Oregon or Oklahoma -- Looks like Oklahoma right now, but that's mostly because the Pac-10 is so busy cannibalizing itself who knows who is gonna be ranked when we get to them.

I can say though that Oregon's schedule only gets harder from here -- with the exception of Stanford we've already knocked off our two powder puffs, Tennesse, and the predicted bottom two teams of the Pac-10 (WSU and ASU). Hard to NOT go uphill from there.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/17/2010 10:57 PM CDT
Woo Hoo! Boomer Sooner baby!

Speakin of strength of schedules, 1.) I wasn't expecting Oklahoma to be ranked number 1 with the BCS. I WAS expecting it to be Boise. Since all the talk this past monday/tuesday was all about Boise and that blue field. That someone had "Leaked" that #1 was going to be Boise and #2 TCU.

Man was I shocked to see it Oklahoma, Oregon, Boise soon there after.

Strength of schedule for OU coming up? I believe 4 out of the next 5 games are all Big 12 games. Tech and A&M, Colorado (do they really honestly count with them leaving the Big 12 next season?)

A&M and Tech have both been beaten by OSU, which amazes me. Baylor and Colorado, not sure what the spread is. But pretty sure those will both be gimmies.

A&M and Tech will be good games I think. OSU, if Weden hooks up with his two favorite receivers (Kendal Hunter and whats his name, can't think of it off the top of my head, OU might be in for a long night. I don't remember OSU doin as good as they have the last few years since Sanders played for OSU. Which was how many years ago?

OU have a few great players, can't leave out Murray, that boy can score. More than heisman trophy winner Steven Owens and Billy Sims. Most touchdowns in OU career history. If Jones has more good nights coming up, I think OU will keep the number 1 spot. As long as they don't lose.

I think their schedule is tougher than the ducks for the long haul, same with Boise, I think OU has a tougher schedule. Boise isn't really playin anyone from this point through the rest of the season. I think the Big 12 is goin to have one hell of a end this year. Only 2 teams without losses I believe, both are Oklahoma schools. Everyone else in the Big 12 have a loss each. Which works for me.

If OU and OSU can get to November 27th without a loss...it'll be 11-0 vs 11-0. Someone's goin to have to lose. But its all in the air still. Sooners again still have Tech and A&M to go.

Jim
Re: Go Ducks! 10/17/2010 11:04 PM CDT
Take it back, the rest of the season is all Big 12 conference play.

Missouri, who is also still undefeated, next saturday, at Missouri. So there are 3 Big 12 teams that are undefeated. OU, OSU, and Missouri. We'll knock out Missouri this coming saturday.

Colorado here at home in Norman on Oct 30.

At Texas A&M on November 6th

Texas Tech at home in Norman on November 13th.

At Baylor on November 20th.

And than at Oklahoma State University on November 27.

So I missposted, Three Big 12 undefeated through week 7. OU, OSU, and Missouri. Sorry for the misspost!!

Jim
Re: Go Ducks! 10/18/2010 01:41 AM CDT
Being a Cal fan and watching the game against USC, I think Oregon has nothing to worry about when playing them.

Halajar
Re: Go Ducks! 10/22/2010 11:47 PM CDT
So much about worrying about UCLA. They decided on the depressive side this week in a huge way.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/23/2010 12:00 AM CDT
Honestly UCLA wasn't even that bad.

The Ducks were just ON.

Everyone is talking up USC next week, and I figure it's one of our hardest games left, but really... I'm not seeing USC as that good.

Sure they're three points from being undefeated, but that doesn't change that after the first four games of the season they were a bad undefeated team, I don't respect the win over Cal all that much, and WASHINGTON beat them on the road.

We'll see.

All I know is I'm suddenly a big fan of Miss. and LSU.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/23/2010 12:04 PM CDT
the LSU Auburn game should be awesome.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/24/2010 02:08 AM CDT
Can we say "Go Mizzou"?

Almost thought LSU was gonna pull that off too. But then they remembered they were LSU. Oh well, can't have it all.

Next up: Will Auburn jump Oregon in the BCS?

Will Oregon (Assuming it's #1 in the BCS) break the curse? Three weeks in a row, #1 team on the road with Gameday there and... down goes #1. Next week? Oregon @USC with Gameday there.

I smell trap game. However I'm still not convinced USC is any good, and their utter beat down of Cal still does not impress me.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/24/2010 11:03 AM CDT
I have Oregon .932, Auburn .923, Boise St. .908. The only way I see Auburn going ahead of Oregon is if more poll caster decide that Auburn desereves #2 over Boise St. We'll find out at 8:15ET.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/24/2010 03:42 PM CDT
Welp, with polls out I have Oregon .9369, Auburn .9338, Boise St. .9045. So close. Difference is one better/worse position in any of the polls.

For the Polls I have:

Oregon 5,5,6,5,1,7 for a .83
Auburn 1,4,1,3,2,1 for a .97

If that 3 for Auburn becomes a 2 or one of the 5s becomes a 6, then Auburn is #1. It is also possible for one of those 5s to get to 4 for Oregon, but I just don't see that happening this week.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/24/2010 03:48 PM CDT
I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Auburn leap us. Assuming both teams win next week however you gotta think that Oregon would pass them back with USC instead of Mississippi.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/24/2010 08:44 PM CDT
wow, was I off. Actually, wow, are the computer models off. maybe, or not....

Computer rankings

Auburn .980 okay agreed
Missouri .960 kind of can see this
Mich St. .930 big 10 has not been great, but this not that bad
TCU .870 guess computers like running up scores. SOS will make them drop
Oklahoma .820 one loss team, though probably best in the nation
LSU .780 one (good?)loss and reward for schedule. Alabama loss and playing L-M will make them drop
BSU .780 SOS makes them drop even futher
Oregon .740 Being punished for easy early schedule

New Mexico, Tennesse, Portland State, ASU and Wash St lost this weekend. Oregon strength of scheudule is really low and just got lower this week. Best thing is that teams left should help raise that alot. After looking at things, Oregon only has one win against a winning team. Pollsters like them, but have to prove themselves against winning teams to the computers.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/24/2010 10:11 PM CDT
Stupid teams that were good when we scheduled them.

And, yes, the Ducks certainly have had the weak half of the Pac-10 so far (Plus Stanford).

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/29/2010 05:42 PM CDT
Weekend Predictions:

Auburn 59 Miss 21
Oregon 28 USC 20
TCU 63 UNLV 14
Iowa 27 MSU 21
Neb 35 Mizz 27
Air Force 31 Utah 21
Oklahoma 55 CSU 17
Re: Go Ducks! 10/29/2010 09:43 PM CDT
>Oregon 28 USC 20

No way it's going to be that low scoring, on either side.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/29/2010 10:10 PM CDT
Vegas seems to agree with you. U/O is 72. I just don't see it. That is why they play the games though.
Re: Go Ducks! 10/30/2010 10:31 AM CDT
>>>Oregon 28 USC 20

wow, yeah, I don't see it that low of a score either. Maybe 42 to 38 in USC's favor. Granted USC is favored now by 6 I believe?

Will be interesting to see how things go. If the top 4 teams all lose....where will that leave the BCS? Will come sunday the top two be Boise and TCU? Heh, stranger things have happened!!!!

If Oregon loses, and Mizzou and Alabama...And Iowa. And TCU and Boise wins...wow...could you imagine it?

Jim
Re: Go Ducks! 10/30/2010 12:59 PM CDT
Everything I can find still reports the spread as 7 points in favor of Oregon.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/31/2010 01:07 PM CDT
28-20. Hah.

Is it sad that the game wasn't even as close as the 53-32 score made it look? Stupid 4 minutes after halftime.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 10/31/2010 07:58 PM CDT
Well this isn't how I was hopin the BCS stood...heh...Ok, I can see Oregon number 1, but number 2? Auburn? Yeah, Boise and TCU are bein pushed aside. Utah over 'Bama...no words...Nebraska over OU?? Hold the horses!!! Whoah....how? I don't see that one? The BCS guys really think Nebraska has another win out there this season? I don't think so. OK State moved up a bit, go Pokes! Kinda sucks though that OU isn't playin Nebraska this year, and this might/is the Huskers last year in the Big 12. But more important, how are the Huskers over OU in the standings? They lost to TX and we beat them. Granted it was by just 1 more point, but still! Heh, looks like we might just bein seeing Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship. But meh, we'll see.

1. Oregon
2. Auburn
3. TCU
4. Boise State
5. Utah
6. Alabama
7. Nebraska
8. Oklahoma
9. Wisconsin
10. LSU
11. Ohio State
12. Missouri
13. Stanford
14. Michigan State
15. Arizona
16. Iowa
17. Oklahoma State
18. Arkansas
19. South Carolina
20. Mississippi State
21. Baylor
22. Virginia Tech
23. Nevada
24. Florida State
25. North Carolina State
Re: Go Ducks! 10/31/2010 10:01 PM CDT
Wow, didn't think we'd jump to 2nd in the computers, I expected more like 4th. Hmph. I'll take it.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 11/01/2010 09:22 AM CDT
ok, I couldn't resist this, it was on Rivals.com this morning. Not sure if anyone here reads it or not, so I thought I'd post it.

Tom Dienhart's Week 9 awards

COACHES
Wish I were him: Kirk Ferentz, Iowa

Glad I'm not him: Dabo Swinney, Clemson

Lucky guy: Butch Davis, North Carolina

Poor guy: Mark Richt, Georgia

Desperately seeking a clue: Mack Brown, Texas

Desperately seeking a P.R. man: Tom O'Brien, N.C. State

Desperately seeking sunglasses and a fake beard: Brian
Kelly, Notre Dame

Desperately seeking ... anything: Randy Shannon, Miami

TEAMS

You have to feel for Georgia's Mark Richt, seen here during Saturday's loss to Florida.

Thought you'd kick butt, you did: Auburn

Thought you'd kick butt, you didn't: West Virginia

Thought you'd get your butt kicked, you did: Colorado

Thought you'd get your butt kicked, you didn't: Duke

Dang, they're good: Stanford

Dang, they're bad: Minnesota

Did the season start? Cincinnati

Can the season end? Tennessee

Can the season never end? Ohio State

GAMES

Play this again: Florida 34, Georgia 31 (OT)

Never play this again: Maryland 62, Wake Forest 14

What? Baylor 30, Texas 22

Huh? Iowa 37, Michigan State 6

Are you kidding me? Virginia 24, Miami 19

Oh ... my ... God: Tulsa 28, Notre Dame 27

Told you so: Nebraska 31, Missouri 17

NEXT WEEK

Ticket to die for: Alabama at LSU

Ticket to die for, Part II: TCU at Utah

Best non-Big Six vs. Big Six matchup: None

Best non-Big Six matchup: TCU at Utah

Upset alert: North Carolina over Florida State in Tallahassee

Must win: Missouri over Texas Tech in Lubbock

Offensive explosion: Baylor at Oklahoma State

Defensive struggle: Louisville at Syracuse

Great game no one is talking about: Arizona at Stanford

Intriguing coaching matchup: Arkansas' Bobby Petrino vs. South Carolina's Steve Spurrier

Who's bringing the body bags? Wisconsin at Purdue

Why are they playing? Idaho State at Georgia

Plenty of good seats remaining: Colorado at Kansas

They shoot horses, don't they? Chattanooga at Auburn

Jim
Re: Go Ducks! 11/01/2010 04:42 PM CDT
Yeah, some of these computers are prone to jumping around alot. I can see TCU beating Utah and LSU beating Alabama, causing Oregon to drop to fourth in the computers. This making Auburn #1 again. The computers may be good for picking who is the best team in the long haul, but short term they are schizophrenic. And in reality I don't see LSU beating Alabama, just if it did happen, how the craziness could continue.
Re: Go Ducks! 11/13/2010 08:50 PM CST
Wow, the ducks have to be happy to leave town with a win. Totally unimpressive. Though out of the top 5, only BSU impressed(that LSU game was/is meaningless).
Re: Go Ducks! 11/13/2010 09:27 PM CST
Yeah.

Blech.

Just blech.

I was hoping that Washington game was our terrible game for the season.

Guess not.

I mean -- A win is a win right? And it could be worse, coulda been Oregon State today. OUCH.

-Raesh

Re: Go Ducks! 11/14/2010 01:39 AM CST
Oh man, I thought Cal was going to win it. That missed field goal killed me. At least I have hope that they can beat Stanford next week!

Halajar
Re: Go Ducks! 12/04/2010 06:00 PM CST
OSU made it more interesting than I thought they would, which was fine by me. I don't enjoy boring blowouts. Overall, OU looked like they were playing just well enough to win it. They'll need to pick it up against Auburn.

Kaxis

>Ghendil glances out the window absently. "There are tales of a lost gold mine to the west of here, beyond the Lion's Jaws. Just old stories, though.

>Nobody who has gone out there to search has ever returned."
Re: Go Ducks! 12/04/2010 07:25 PM CST
As a number of people pointed out -- It's kinda funny how high expectations for Oregon have gotten. I mean when you get down to it, it was a 17 point win after surrendering a meaningless late touchdown and people brand that "struggling".

That said, yeah, they haven'e been blasting people at their usual point a minute pace nearly as much the last three games -- at least not in the first half. Second half is another story (21 vs OSU, 14 in the 4th, 34 vs Arizona, 20 in the 3rd).

-Raesh