Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 03/08/2006 07:50 AM CST
Nah, because Hawaii is for one thing, Surfing. Alaska is for one thing, hunting animals. If you not doing either and playing DR, then we need to get yur priorities straight.

Arctuniol

In an open world who needs Windows or Gates.
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 03/14/2006 01:29 PM CST
Actually, Alaska is for two things. Hunting and severe backcountry travel (dogsled, ski/snowboard, or foot). All other uses, including natural resources, are tertiary.

And Hawaii has a second use as well: teach arrogant mainlanders about the value of SPF 40.

Amagaim; the player of,

"Tired of the eternal efforts to fight our way through raw matter, we chose another way and sought to embrace the infinite. We went inside ourselves and created a new world."
--- Henrik Steffens
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 03/14/2006 01:51 PM CST
SPF 40? Who needs that. I lived on oahu, halawa heights at first then kahalu. I didn't need SPF 40. I still think it is for surfing.

Arctuniol

In an open world who needs Windows or Gates.
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 06/11/2006 02:31 AM CDT
Wrong folks!! Alaska has more to offer than what's been mentioned here. Yes we have the best hunting in the world, and our mountains are excellent for climbing and camping. But when you consider the amazing scenery here, it's easy to understand that plain old basic sightseeing is the second most popular thing for visitors and residents alike. Topping the list of Alaskan activities is, drumroll please!!!! Fishing. The best fishing to be found in the world is here in Alaska. Our rivers and streams are the home to every species of Pacific salmon, and those chinook (king) salmon get HUGE! Halibut and lingcod fishing, trout fishing and of course shark fishing. Any questions? I'll field them and throw you back an answer!!! It's actually pretty disturbing when people post things without ever actually having been here, perfect example is Amagaim's post about all other uses, including natural resources being tertiary to hunting and backcountry travel. Please get some education about my state before making assinine assumptions like that again.

dwarf
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 06/16/2006 10:01 PM CDT
Little late, but oh well.

<It's actually pretty disturbing when people post things without ever actually having been here>

Gotta love the myth that all of Alaska has 6 months of dark and 6 months of light. That's true for the part of Alaska in the arctic circle.

I went to Anchorage during the last week of December 2005 to visit some friends up there. During that week the amount of light I saw during their days was similiar to the amount of light the upper midwest has during the same December week.

Nathan
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 06/20/2006 02:01 AM CDT
Hey now, in 2 days (Summer Solstice) we'll have 20 hours of sunlight and 4 hours of dusk!!! The cold winters definately make summer worthwhile here.
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 06/20/2006 04:33 PM CDT
We need to subdivide this folder across the Mason Dixon line, gang.

Seriously, let's get together and camp at a beach. My current favourite is Leo Carrillo.

Love,

Father Ainandil, Cleric of Saemaus

Yes, I stole this from Dulci.

>"We do not care if you or your character is gay, straight, asexual, gelatious, nougat filled, or covered in a hard candy shell." --Solomon
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 06/21/2006 11:02 PM CDT
<<Hey now, in 2 days (Summer Solstice) we'll have 20 hours of sunlight and 4 hours of dusk!!! The cold winters definately make summer worthwhile here.>>

That reminds me. Has the price for a 3 day salmon fishing pass for out of state residents gone up or stayed at the price they were last year Evil1?

Starting on saturday I'm headed up there for a week.

Nathan
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 07/01/2006 03:50 PM CDT
Gah!!! I wish I'd have seen that post sooner, I could have put you on more salmon than any outfitter can dream of!!! And for 1/5 the rate of a charter!!! I have a very good friend with land on the banks of the Kenai and the Deshka. Hopefully your trip was good and you got to bonk a few salmon on the noggin!! I'll be going after summer classes end, which is the prime of the second Kenai run of kings and the start of silver season. After that it'll be halibut and lingcod followed by my favorite, salmon shark fishing!!!

If you ever come up for moose, caribou, bear, dall sheep or mountain goats I can set you up with someone for that as well.
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 07/03/2006 11:11 PM CDT
<<<I could have put you on more salmon than any outfitter can dream of!!!>>>

Thanks for the offer Evil1. I'll keep that in mind when I get a chance to come up and do some Halibut fishing.

I'm assumming you live in/around Anchorage or in the Kenai peninsula. Am I correct?

Nathan
Re: Shouldn't this folder include from San Diego to Seattle, to Alaska and Hawai 07/04/2006 03:32 AM CDT
I reside in Anchorage, but I live on the Kenai during the summer. And I aviod the Russian River at all costs!!!!