Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/19/2005 02:04 PM CST
Afterall, its one of the most politically conservative states in the union...

:oP Ragran
Re: Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/19/2005 02:11 PM CST
Boulder is like the hippie capital of the world. Stinky, non voting bums ::shakes a fist::

~Blood Wraith Elec, Elitist of Elanthia, an Elven Face Shooter

~I WILL RUIN THIS HOUSE WITH MY ANGER! -Master Shake

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/19/2005 02:33 PM CST
And one that surrounds Boulder, one of the top 5 most liberal cities in the US. Also surrounds two other well-known liberal stronghold of Denver and Fort Collins. Not to mention the other 6 pure college towns within the state. Those are big draws, admittedly in descending order.

And that Red Rocks is THE best place to crash the gate, don't'cha know. Well, mostly because you don't actually need to crash the gate, but only walk two miles along an easy-to-moderate grade set of trails to hit the best vantage points.

But Colorado is far from "one of the most politically conservative states in the union..." With a congressional delegation that's split 5-4 including perhaps the most evenly split congressional district (demographically speaking) in the country, a bare 5 vote combined majority for the Dems in the state legislature, and the recent state-wide de-Brucing movement where only one measure/referendum failed, the evidence points to the state being one of the most politically moderate states in the union. A definate far cry from being purely conservative.

Sorry, Rags. I do political analysis on my spare time, just for the sheer fun of it.

Amagaim; the player of,

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Re: Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/19/2005 05:00 PM CST
Because Focus on Your Own Damn Family hasn't pushed em out yet. They have bigger fish to fry like SpongeBob and American Girl Dolls.

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.

GM XXXXXX "Well, we can't please everyone."

You say, "True, but that is no reason not to try."
Re: Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/19/2005 05:02 PM CST
<<A definate far cry from being purely conservative.>>

I have been schooled.

And that's welcome news to me.

Re: Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/20/2005 09:34 PM CST
Definately an interesting place to live. I haven't done any sort of political analysis, but it does seem to be a land of extremes from the weather down to the people. Bit of everything all at once. If you don't like it, wait 10 minutes. Forget melting pot. It's all there in the raw.

So, do people here ever get together and where does Amagaim get his coffee?

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/21/2005 12:40 AM CST
>>>and where does Amagaim get his coffee?

I get my coffee either from Peaberry's or Silver Canyon.

Peaberry's... Well, there's around one for every 5 square miles here in the Metro area, plus a new one going in on South Academy for you Springs denizens. My personal preference is the Dark Roast Costa Rica Tarrazu Select Estates. Nice and bold flavor, and goes well with my dark-as-night-and-sweet-as-sin drinking preference. And for those outside the Denver area, they have a web store as well.
http://www.peaberrycoffee.com

Silver Canyon Coffee doesn't really have a store-front shop that I've been able to find. Instead, they seem to have taken over a shelf or two at most King Soopers. Quality roasters, they provide the house blends for the Brown Palace, The Fort, Hotel Boulderado and many more. My personal favorites are the Deep Snow and Winter's Companion roasts, particularly for, as the names suggest, those snowy nights when the wind comes straight off the eastern plains and the air is crisp enough to put shame in the freshest of celery stalks. Deep Snow is a medium dark roast, and one that doesn't shy away from cream like most of the darker-than-medium roasts out there. Winter's Companion, on the other hand, is a much more mellow taste for a medium dark, more suited to the "just a few cups to relax in front of the fireplace with" late-night coffee drinker.
http://www.silvercanyoncoffee.com

Either way, between the two, there's plenty for all coffee tastes. Well, maybe not those that prefer the swill found in a vast majority of late-night diners and c-stores.

And no, this has not been a paid endorsement of these products. I just happen to like them that damn much to do this sort of thing for free!

Amagaim; the player of,

Re: Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/21/2005 12:55 PM CST
Yer sooo fishing fer a gig as a coffee guy! Its obvious to me. But I understand completely...

Between the way that they really do offer healthcare that's as good or better than many Wall Street firms, the full tip cups that demand, "After you pay $3.00 for this swill tip ME for pulling the lever on the coffee maker or be shamed publically!", the flexible hours, and the sheer volume of women that you are exposed to on a daily basis, it may be the best job on the planet. Plus service without a crappy attitude is totally expected! I think many folks would be disappointed if that part of their routine was disturbed.

So I say, you go boyo. Make that dream a reality! :om

Re: Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/21/2005 03:48 PM CST
Hell, it's gotta be better than working at a gas station...

Which is what I'm currently doing, by the by. So yeah. Coffee shop would definately be a step up from there. At least you GET a tip jar at a coffee shop.

Amagaim; the player of,

Re: Why do so many hippies congregate in Colorado? 11/21/2005 05:53 PM CST
And healthcare! And get to be snippy and appreciated for it! <g>