Western Germany 07/31/2007 10:42 AM CDT
Greets. I am going to be in Dusseldorf around the end of September. Any tips on things to see and do in western Germany?

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Western Germany 07/31/2007 10:46 AM CDT
Trips down the Rhein are always fun, somewhere around there, I forget where, there's a lock system that's absolutely amazing if you've never gone through a lock before

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: Western Germany 07/31/2007 10:30 PM CDT
I agree, a cruise or drive through Rhein valley is amazing. There is a castle around every turn. I also recommend visiting a few of Ludwig's castles. You can get to Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau (I cant remember if that spelling is right) in one day. My favorite was Herrencheimsee (it is on an island in the middle of a huge lake). I think Heidelburg is close to you, that castle was great too.

~Rainea~
Re: Western Germany 08/01/2007 07:56 AM CDT
>>You can get to Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau (I cant remember if that spelling is right) in one day.

Oh Neuschwanstein is a must, I mean it's the real Disneyland castle. It's pretty impressive.

Re: Western Germany 08/01/2007 09:38 AM CDT
>>I agree, a cruise or drive through Rhein valley is amazing. There is a castle around every turn. I also recommend visiting a few of Ludwig's castles. You can get to Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau (I cant remember if that spelling is right) in one day. My favorite was Herrencheimsee (it is on an island in the middle of a huge lake). I think Heidelburg is close to you, that castle was great too.

Unfortunately I'm not going to have a lot of time as I'm going on business. I basically have one free day (Wednesday) and evenings, but the rest is going to be all work. However, I could very much see renting a car and checking out Neushwanstein & Hohenschwangau and perhaps some other castles. Judging by the photos on a Google image search, the pair looks awesome. Any idea what the driving time is from Dusseldorf?

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Western Germany 08/01/2007 09:54 AM CDT
I'm not sure why I thought this was close to Dusseldorf, It's been about 15 years since i've been there. It's about a 6 hour drive. On the other hand your only about 2 hours from Amsterdam ::cough::

Re: Western Germany 08/01/2007 12:51 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure why I thought this was close to Dusseldorf, It's been about 15 years since i've been there. It's about a 6 hour drive. On the other hand your only about 2 hours from Amsterdam ::cough::

My co-worker and I are strongly considering taking the train from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam after we land and check in to the hotel. You know, for the extra stamp on the passport, of course (though come to think of it, I think I've already been through the Amsterdam airport on the way to Milan). I hear they have lovely gardens, too. And what better way to get ready for a 3-day conference than a relaxing garden tour?

It looks like econo train tickets are about $70 round-trip, we can catch some sleep on the train after taking our 9 hour red-eye flight from Washington DC to Dusseldorf...you know, at first I wasn't too keen on this trip, but I think I just sold myself on it. The only other thing I was considering was bumping our connecting flight to later in the evening and spending some time in Zurich or somewhere in between the two, but I'd rather just get to the hotel, unload, and get the suit pressed before traipsing about Bavaria.

Any other ideas? Any good nightlife? Clubs or restaurants you'd recommend? Food to try? I'm already fairly familiar with German and other central-European beers, so I'm good to go on that (Kronenburg 1664 is a particular favorite of mine). I've heard I should avoid any form of lungen (lung), and that seems like pretty good advice.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Western Germany 08/01/2007 01:09 PM CDT
It's too bad you don't have more free time. With a Eurail pass you can go just about anywhere and the train system is amazing. Ontime, clean and fast. As far as what else to do if you've not been before you've got to go to a beer hall. I'm sure there's one close by, if not in Dusseldorf then possibly in Koln

Re: Western Germany 08/28/2007 04:40 PM CDT
>You know, for the extra stamp on the passport, of course (though come to think of it, I think I've already been through the Amsterdam airport on the way to Milan).

You won't get a stamp on your passport unless you are really annoying at a border crossing. Since Western Europe became the EU, they've done away with stamping your passport when you travel from country to country within in the EU. Some places where you can still get stamps, in my experience, are Switzerland (not in the EU but centrally located), Andorra (which is on the French/Spanish border and is only sorta in the EU, and Luxembourg (since they make a lot of money off selling evidence that people have been there--like postal stamps and coins).

I agree that a trip up the Rhein is wonderful, but then Amstersam is amzing, clean, cultural (go to the Rijksmuseum--one of the very best in Europe--and avoid the Van Gogh museum), laid-back, and the Dutch speak better English than most Brits and Americans I know. The food is decent and the "coffee" houses are fun, varied, and usually very welcoming. Check out the red-light district too--just don't take pictures. If you do visit a "coffee" house, be warned--they have a strong tendency to mix tobacco with the "coffee," so if you're allergic to tobacco, make sure that you are getting only what you want.

They also have some fun dance clubs and the country thereabouts is absolutely gorgeous. I've never met anyone who was disappointed with Amsterdam.

On the other hand, a cruise up the Rhein will provide, especially in the fall, lovely landscapes and interesting people. And Germans love to talk to Americans.

Have a good time no matter which you choose!

Player of Silvanne, Maiamo Heruaminen Khandrishen

A protagonist must have an antagonist. Otherwise he's just a guy playing with himself.
Re: Western Germany 08/29/2007 10:23 AM CDT
>>You won't get a stamp on your passport unless you are really annoying at a border crossing. Since Western Europe became the EU, they've done away with stamping your passport when you travel from country to country within in the EU.

I've had mixed results. Sometimes the person will stand there and stamp, sometimes they don't. I've been on a bus where they come through and stamp everyone, and another where they just have you hold up your passport to show you have one. It's really haphazard as far as I can tell.

>If you do visit a "coffee" house, be warned--they have a strong tendency to mix tobacco with the "coffee," so if you're allergic to tobacco, make sure that you are getting only what you want.

I've heard a lot about the offerings, so-to-speak. If I go, I've got a good idea of what to do.

>>They also have some fun dance clubs and the country thereabouts is absolutely gorgeous.

On a good day, I dance like Bill Cosby.

>>On the other hand, a cruise up the Rhein will provide, especially in the fall, lovely landscapes and interesting people. And Germans love to talk to Americans.

I'm strongly considering the Rhine idea. Especially coming from a red eye flight, I think this might be more my pace considering the 9 hour conference the next day.

>>Have a good time no matter which you choose!

I always do. I find the best strategy is to avoid tours, generally speaking, and forge my own path. Mostly that path is created by the need for food, drinks, smokes, or a bank. I've met some of the most interesting people, and I've gotten into so many bizarre adventures, including the time I nearly ended up with a Torino pizza shop owner sending his (very attractive) daughter back to America with me. In retrospect, I kind of wish I had gone through with that. Ah, Cinzia.

~player of Gulphphunger