World Cup 2006 06/13/2006 02:22 AM CDT
Australia 3 : 1 Japan

Woohooo! The underdogs win game 1.

Archi
Re: World Cup 2006 06/14/2006 03:32 AM CDT
That was actually a pretty good game. The Japan team choked big time towards the end of the game.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: World Cup 2006 06/15/2006 12:27 AM CDT
Brazil's game was a total disappointment

Siltoth

Stealer of Silvy's Hugs

Burhup says, "I still havn't thought of a good present for a theif"
You say to Burhup, "a Get out of jail free scroll"
Re: World Cup 2006 06/15/2006 01:39 PM CDT
<SIGH>

So all the games I've Tivo'd, you know the 'good' ones have been ok to bad and the other 'oh who cares' games I haven't have been the good ones to watch/out come.

But yeah, no the expected at all for a lot of the games. Unless you count the French and their continued 'style' from 2002 and Euro 2004... really big let down.

Me
Re: World Cup 2006 06/16/2006 08:43 AM CDT
Hmm, I don't know. I've never really considered myself a soccer fan, but I really enjoy a lot of this year's world cup games. These games seem a lot more interesting than the world cup in 2002 to me.

- Simon

Re: World Cup 2006 06/16/2006 06:33 PM CDT
Ok don't get me wrong, I am watching all or most and they are good but the 'better' teams are nat always playing as such and until the 6-0 brubbing today no one had really put forth an effort that threw down the gauntlet. Now the team to beat will be Argentina and not the prerenial fav Brazil.

But Le Blues are truely giving me the blues... after their wonderful run in '98 and Euro 2000 they look a joke in the fianl 32 <le sigh>

Me
Re: World Cup 2006 06/17/2006 06:52 PM CDT
<<Ok don't get me wrong, I am watching all or most and they are good but the 'better' teams are nat always playing as such and until the 6-0 brubbing today no one had really put forth an effort that threw down the gauntlet.>>

Well, yeah. Some games are going to be good, some are going to be average and some are going to be boring as hell. It's like that with any sport you watch depending on the game.

The only thing I don't like about soccer is the fact that the referees have way too much influence over the game. Many of the fouls are subjective (which happens in any sport, so they shouldn't get rid of referees), but if a team gets one red card, than the guy is lost for the entire game AND your team has to play a man down for the ENTIRE GAME. They should just make it like the NBA has it set up for flagrant 1 and flagrant 2 fouls. Flagrant 2 fouls, you're kicked out the game but you're allowed to substitute another player from your bench to replace the kicked out person on your team. So, anyway, that'd be a red card.

It seems really out of place for a major decision to be left in the hands of a referee when they blow the call completely (where there is completely no intent seen that you're trying to injure another player) and for that call to determine the rest of the game's progress.

Other than that, soccer ftw.

- Simon

PS - ESPN is GOD-LIKE.
Re: World Cup 2006 06/18/2006 04:40 AM CDT
>They should just make it like the NBA has it set up for flagrant 1 and flagrant 2 fouls. Flagrant 2 fouls, you're kicked out the game but you're allowed to substitute another player from your bench to replace the kicked out person on your team.

You can't really compare football and basketball. Not only are the rules different as to how the fouls are handled, but also as to how many players can be replaced during one match. No matter what, you can only make three exchanges. That is the core issue really. If the goal keeper gets kicked out of the game with a red card and the coach has already made 3 substitions, then one of the players on the field has to take over goal keeper position. If a player gets badly injured and three swaps have been made, too bad. It is not only the red card that can leave a team outnumbered.

While 4 against 5 on a basketball court would be insanely unbalanced, 10 against 11 on a football field is still playable. It is not easy, true, but teams have scored and won with one player down (eg France vs Brazil at WC '98 final).

In my opinion the referee job sucks, it's not like they have time to ponder and watch the replay and then decide whether to whistle or not, all they have to go on is what they saw from their subjective position. Sure, after the whistle they can consult the other referees, but the final call is still theirs and noone makes the right call 100% of the time. But that's just the way it is.

Despite the red card frenzy in the Italy-US match, I was keeping my fingers crossed for Americans. They played well this time and Keller totally deserved the Player of the Match title. Besides, I can't bring myself to like the Italian team, they are just too good at faking.

Lyonet