Traveling to England questions.... 04/24/2005 03:40 PM CDT

Hey Friends,

Got a question for all of you who live or travel alot across the pond. My wife is

taking her mother on a 16 day trip to England and Scotland in July -August of this

year. For the most part its a guided tour, but there will be times they will be left to

look around on their own. They will be staying in London, Wales, Glascow, Edinburg and

a few other places. She wants to know any places that are recommended, or to be avoided,

even personal little favorite spots you might know of.

Thanks in advance,
Roboson

P.S. Please make note the mother in law is 80...so no Full Monty shows..

The weather is here....wish you were beautiful.
Re: Traveling to England questions.... 04/24/2005 09:47 PM CDT
Places to avoid. England and anything to do with england heh

Places to visit in glasgow.
Go check out the barrowlands, huge outdoor marketplace can get just about anything there, just don't ask where it came from heh.
Best thing to do for a tour of glasgow is head to Georges square where the tourist info place is, theres a bus that does a tour of glasgow for about #5 and lasts around 1.5 hours, basically just drives around telling you about all the different places around town and you can get off to check them out if you want. Next day can use the ticket again to jump on and off the bus at any place you want if you wanna go back an check stuff out more.
Don't think you'd be to interested about all the info i have on pubs and clubs heh, i should probably know more about everythin in glasgow considerin i work in one of the hotel receptions and everyone asks the same stuff.
Re: Traveling to England questions.... 04/25/2005 03:32 AM CDT
I've been a couple times, and it depends on the sort of tour that they get. The bus tours that run around the city - The Big Bus Company and The Red Bus (I forget what exactly it's called), big double deckers that take you around the city - you can see quite a lot, I don't think there was anything I didn't see that I wanted to by the end of it. Basically it's one of those tours that you can get off and on at will. They all hit the bigger stuff, just be careful there's a few places that are tourist traps, I'd definitely recommend avoiding the London Dungeon.

If you can find it they have the original spot of the Globe Theatre marked off too (they have a reproduction built next to the Thames). Near the Globe is the Klink dungeon, I wanted to see that one, if nothing else just to see the place where the "klink" (aka jail) got it's name.

Also, the Hard Rock is great too. If they do go to the Hard Rock over in the souvenier shop they have a vault tour where they keep all the unused rock memorabilia (and if you ask nicely they may even let you touch it, if they're still doing that that is). But they should probably get in line pretty early for that as they only take so many people in per tour (it's only a small area), and I've heard the lines can get pretty bad at times.

Wales, if they can get to it, I've heard that Fairy Glen is absolutely gorgeous (although I've noticed that almost all of Wales is in this condition) but a bit off the beaten path. When I'm at home I'll have to look up the name but there's a great castle off in that direction too, in Snowdonia (Cavanaugh maybe?).

-Chakram

"NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES"
Re: Traveling to England questions.... 04/26/2005 08:36 PM CDT
This brings up a good point--I'm going to London Friday night through Wednesday of next week, then Dublin. While in England, I was thinking of taking some mode of public transport to Wales and renting a bike to tool around for a day. Does this sound like something that's feasible, or is it just a pipe dream?

~Mike/player of Gulphphunger
Re: Traveling to England questions.... 04/27/2005 06:05 PM CDT
<<This brings up a good point--I'm going to London Friday night through Wednesday of next week, then Dublin. While in England, I was thinking of taking some mode of public transport to Wales and renting a bike to tool around for a day. Does this sound like something that's feasible, or is it just a pipe dream?>>

I've heard the trains are a good form of transportation, but if you want to get the full effect rent a car. It's worth it. You can stop at a lot more places of interest (there are a ton of these around, you can throw a stone in England and hit a place of interest, seriously).

-Chakram

"NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES"
Re: Traveling to England questions.... 04/27/2005 06:20 PM CDT
"you can throw a stone in England and hit a place of interest, seriously"
expect to go to jail for it, probably smash a window or something.

Also the train system sucks, trains are always late and don't run on time.
Re: Traveling to England questions.... 09/02/2005 10:40 AM CDT
<<trains are always late and don't run on time>>

In New York, they are always late, but fortunately they always run on time.

:oP Ragran
(There is no statute of limitations on redundancies)