EPEDIA CROSSPOST FROM GEN DISCUSSIONS 02/14/2014 10:16 PM CST
Elanthipedia is broken and has been since it was migrated from the original host. It is basically duct taped together to be functional, but there is something very wrong with it still... so much so that numerous recent attempts at migrating it to a different host have been unsuccessful, and whatever recent attacks / usage increases are causing the increased memory load on the server it sits on are causing major problems for the OTHER sites I host on the server to help mitigate the cost ($150+ / month - the highest vps available in order to run decently)e. Afraid to do much of anything else with it at this point for fear of causing more damage. I welcome anyone who is more familiar with WIKI platform to take a look at why it is causing such a hassle, & if Caraamon is cool with it I can provide a full backup of the DB & sit files (Over 14GB) to anybody that wants to take a crack at it.

Meantime it is live for the weekend. Get what you need but please be judicious in your use while we explore options. I am happy to keep hosting it but something has to be done to stop it from maxing out the memory load & crashing the VPS.

Anybody with ideas or suggestions email my play.net address. When I get a few extra minutes I'm going to start monitoring traffic & banning excessively high use IP's.

- Kart / Rhoat
Re: EPEDIA CROSSPOST FROM GEN DISCUSSIONS 02/14/2014 11:07 PM CST
>>if Caraamon is cool with it I can provide a full backup of the DB & sit files (Over 14GB) to anybody that wants to take a crack at it.<<

May have found something. the pages are archived in multiple locations so when you make a change to a page it only affects that instance and not the main instance. and the memory is going ballistic due to the contradictions.

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: EPEDIA CROSSPOST FROM GEN DISCUSSIONS 02/15/2014 01:34 AM CST
>>please be judicious in your use while we explore options

I'm assuming this means hold off on doing any non-major page edits/updates.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: EPEDIA CROSSPOST FROM GEN DISCUSSIONS 02/15/2014 05:58 PM CST
You and I need to have a talk. Have Caraamon give you my contact information.

I've mentioned to him several times a bunch of optimizations for the kind of volume the site has, but he's not a technical guy. I want to help.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: EPEDIA CROSSPOST FROM GEN DISCUSSIONS 02/15/2014 06:26 PM CST
>>You and I need to have a talk. Have Caraamon give you my contact information.

Maybe you can just email my play.net addy...

- Kart / Rhoat
Re: EPEDIA CROSSPOST FROM GEN DISCUSSIONS 02/15/2014 07:06 PM CST
http://elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Contact

/hailepedia

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: EPEDIA CROSSPOST FROM GEN DISCUSSIONS 02/15/2014 07:39 PM CST
Kart,

I'm going to have Doug contact you. I think we can help resolve this.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: EPEDIA CROSSPOST FROM GEN DISCUSSIONS 02/16/2014 04:00 PM CST
You know, I keep forgetting that we have play.net addresses.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: EPEDIA CROSSPOST FROM GEN DISCUSSIONS 02/16/2014 07:43 PM CST

>>I'm going to have Doug contact you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtL6qMOFUq4