Elanthipedia.com 05/03/2012 02:49 PM CDT

Looks like it's not a Dragonrealms page anymore.
Re: Elanthipedia.com 05/03/2012 03:08 PM CDT

Well, it is kind of funny though: The leading ELAN thi pedia site on the net. What is that even supposed to mean?

Where do people get the money to buy up old domain names and make fake websites? Do they really think anyone is going to pay 18 thousand dollars for that name when someone could just come up with another one? Do they really expect that investment to pay off, ever? I mean, how do these people even make money?
Re: Elanthipedia.com 05/03/2012 03:36 PM CDT
>>I mean, how do these people even make money?

I know a guy whose job at company X was figuring out word combinations made by phone numbers, then registering them.

It's essentially just a lot of gambling that can pay off at times.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Elanthipedia.com 05/10/2012 06:14 AM CDT
>>I know a guy whose job at company X was figuring out word combinations made by phone numbers, then registering them.

Several web providers offer comprehensive data on recently-abandoned sites, like average traffic and related google tags and such, in the interest of quick resale to prospective buyers. Someone probably snatched it up seeing it did good traffic (notice the links provided are PC games), will sit on it for a predetermined amount of time, and then abandon it eventually.

I used to do something similar for a living because I wanted to be self-employed. It worked well enough, but that lasted for a total of about six months before I abandoned it. Spending ten hours a day over-optimizing hundreds of placeholder pages on a private VPN is very dry work, to say the least.