Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/08/2016 03:17 PM CST
It is with great sadness that we write this post. Several days ago a long-time member of our Elanthian community walked the starry road. While many here may not have not known her directly, the impression she made in our world is evident. Whether she was in the guise of Dyminica, Charise, Lukretia, or one of her numerous other characters, Alicia was always a kind, generous, and helpful individual. She was readily willing to lend support of an Elanthian nature, to lend an eye via instant messenger, or an ear over the phone.

Those of us who have lent our collective thoughts to this this post have known her since we began playing this game nearly 18-years ago. Over the years the connections among all of us have waxed-and-waned, both in the game and out of it. Yet, through it all, Alicia always seemed to be back in Elanthia, waiting for us with open arms. If you were looking for an item, looking for help figuring out something, or looking for guidance she was always there to offer it (sometimes annoyingly so). When friends were in need in real-life, she would do what she could to help. She sold items so she could send some cash to a friend if they needed it. She bought items from friends who refused to take hand-outs but needed money. She bought the characters of several old friends who had to leave just to make sure those characters would be available if they ever decided they wanted to return. She was generous like that. She was sentimental like that.

Connie (Aylay), Rachel (Riverlynn/Leilanie), Justin (Uritel), Carie (Caidie), Debi (Alissia), and Jon (Lennon)

As the poster of this, I’ll go into some of my own personal prose. When I returned to the game 2 ½ years ago after a nearly decade absence, she was one of the first three people to contact me because she saw me log in. She welcomed me back, explained many of the changes that had happened since my departure, bought me new mining and forging gear, and filled my coin purse until it was overflowing. She asked for nothing in return, she was simply helping out an old friend. She is one of the reasons I try to help others in the game when possible. I know my ability to do so far pales in comparison to hers.

She would contact me at 3am when she would see me logged on to ask me what I was doing up so late, and would listen to me ramble and complain about this or that insignificant crap that was stressing me out. She was always like that. She did this all in spite of her own difficulties. She did this all while dealing with the ravages of MS which left her in chronic pain and bodily distractions. She did this despite the fact that over the years some people took advantage of her generocity. She always did her best to stay positive. Maybe it was a sort of therapy for her. Maybe it was simply her nature.

Both of my worlds seem a bit darker now. I’m 0% religious. Yet she was very much so. Despite my logical conclusions, I hope that she’s on the winning side of that argument so that she can get that final peace that she believed in. I hate knowing that I‘ll never see her AIM log on again. I hate knowing that I’ll never have a religious debate with her again, or that I’ll never mentally roll my eyes at her when she tries to explain psychology to me (a Ph.D. and Professor of Psychology).

Needless to say, she will be greatly missed. I will never forget her.

Jon

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/08/2016 03:35 PM CST

Where do you go when the loss of one person makes you hurt so deeply in both reality and fantasy? When the quiet reprieve that comes from the scroll of the screen just reminds you of how much more empty the world becomes with the absence of a single word. Dyminica.
When I was younger, I knew her as one of my mother's dearest friends on a text based game she played, as an adult I knew her as my own. She welcomed me with open arms and like she did with so many, she gave me more than I needed and never asked for anything in return and often refused my attempts to repay her. She was a protective presence for me, always making sure my boundaries were strong and that no one tried to hurt me. She made me feel safe. She would navigate through situations with such grace, that I knew everything would always be alright. Some nights I was lucky enough to hear some of the amazing stories of her life and often I was just left in awe of how someone could have done so much in such little time. I'm grateful with the short time she had that she had lived so thoroughly. It's so hard to say goodbye, but I find peace in her faith that she openly shared and in her belief that this is not all that there is.
Rest in sweet peace.

-Rachel (Leilanie/Riverlynn)
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/08/2016 03:36 PM CST

This hard for me. Not because I never post here but because I wasn't blessed with words or ever knowing what to say. Everything Lennon said is right on. I do not remember meeting Dymi. I don't remember not knowing her. 18 years in real life and too many years to count in Elanthia. I'm sure it was in Theren, since that is where we all "lived" when we were young. How do you say goodbye to someone you loved and never really thought would not be here? I knew how ill she was. She talked fearlessly of death. That was always still to be way in the future. I mean, we live in fantasy....
I can't say goodbye, so I will say you were too good for this world and and I hope to play with you again in the next.

With much love and a broken heart, Aylay
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/08/2016 03:39 PM CST
My thoughts go out to her family and all those who loved her. I will miss the introductions. Every single one came from a kind and caring place. There were many and my world will be a bit lonlier with out them. She was inspiring in the way she handled all types of adversity... in the 15 years I've known her in different times and places she never said a single bad word about another person..even though the opposite couldn't be said. She was grace. I will always miss her.
Caidie.

>>"Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't good enough "~Dyminica to a little Empath (me at the time..she had no clue )
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/08/2016 04:14 PM CST
I'm sorry for your loss.
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/08/2016 05:04 PM CST
She was my Merchant lounge buddy, my kitten lady, the person who could always find something when no one else could. She loved her kittens and had her in game kittens altered to look like her real life furry bundles of joy.

The excitement when she showed me things, the delight when she shared anything about her kittens, the affection she had for others within this fictional place called Elanthia, these are just a few of the things that will be missing from our world.

In many ways Alicia was a true heroine of Elanthia, she put her heart and soul into contributing to the universe we, as a community, call home. She protected the innocent, she defended the weak, she gave to those who had less than she did. She helped to nurture the attitude of solidarity and fellowship that characterises the DR community.

We have lost something precious and I hope that in time, others will step up to the challenge to help hold up the bar that she raised.

~Lady Kintalia Silvermist~

http://silvermistfamily.wix.com/silvermist
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/08/2016 08:00 PM CST
Sometimes the language restrictions on these forums really suck.... because it is times like these that deserve some explitives.

She will be missed. :(
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/09/2016 03:46 PM CST
I heard about this on Saturday and I was devastated. I remember when I met Dymi. Alissia was 10th circle, I died in reavers and someone gated me to Theren. She did my first raise and I was completely in awe. From that point on she was Ali's big sister and Clerical tutor. She refused to acknowledge that Ali was elven because we were family so she called me her favorite elothean. She was there for every wall rank, every quest and every problem I had in game or out. And though over the years we saw less and less of each other IG, she would still message me if I turned AIM on and she last snuggled me at the Fest. Shes been there for 16 years, I cant seem to wrap my head around how she wont be anymore. It amazes me how much we care about people we have never met, just strangers we met online. But she was truly a good person and a loving friend. She will be forever missed.
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/10/2016 04:26 PM CST
Ahh, hell.

You'll be missed, Alicia. You touched more lives than you probably ever imagined.

~A
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/12/2016 07:10 PM CST

I am so glad that I hugged Dymi the last time I saw her, which wasn't but a couple of weeks ago. I would always alternate whispers to Charise and Dymi, just to make her pay attention, and I usually would get a pinch in response. I am so going to miss the run bys, the teasing and the chatter with her. She had a long history hanging out with us in Therengia, and was a part of our triage for many years.

Alicia, I will always adore your kindness and cherish the friendship we shared for decades. I know your physical pain has subsided and the pain we feel in the loss of your presence will only be overcome by the memories that remain with us, which you gave to us as the richest gifts of all.

Barb, Player of Gwenddolyn, retired Commander and Soldier of the Therengia Cavalry.
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/13/2016 10:29 PM CST
The handful of times or more that I got to interact with her, wasn't much, I remember a day during or near HE 2013 when we talked a bit, and discovered in Real Life what she was dealing with, and it felt odd, it was like she knew she was going to die then, it was just fact, and there was a certain courage about it, almost like she was laughing to herself, daring death or spitting in its face letting it know that she was going to have the last laugh, or least that was my impression.

I hope she is right, that she has her peace and more.

My thoughts and prays to her family and friends. Be well.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/14/2016 01:05 AM CST
I just figured i'd put in a word, since I've known her for a while. I never really knew her that well, but I've played this game with her since the mid 90's. I remember her giving me bless's when we hunted together In the undercrossings, and the occasional rezz. We haven't really crossed paths much since then, and maybe she wouldn't of wanted to, since I was playing a Necromancer, but, I know that she was a good person and I hate to see a good person go. So, this is what I leave.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

- Dylan Thomas
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/15/2016 07:28 PM CST

Dyminica was always one of the most polite, helpful, and wonderful people I have had the pleasure of interacting with in Theren going back to 1999.

To echo prior messages, it is always a loss when we lose a member of our small community, especially such a soul like Alicia.

Thoughts and prayers go out for her family during this difficult time.

Thank you Alicia, for all you have done for all you touched and influenced here.
Re: Alicia; the player of Dyminica, Charise, and others 02/25/2016 08:45 PM CST
Some of you Remember this name Others do not but it saddens me that a friend I have known for lord a number of years now is passed I am just coming back to the game and trying to catch up Dym will be missed.
Player of Strongcloud Seig'nasay and Lirethion Deschuain