Plot holes 12/25/2004 06:31 PM CST
1. Elrond should have just killed Isulir and thrown him and the ring into the lava the moment he refused to toss the ring into the flames.

2. Frodo should have just rode a giant eagle straight to Mordor, dropped it over the volcanoe and flew home. End of story. But for some reason Gandalf could only have the eagle rescue him, join the final battle, and go to the volcano to pick up Frodo AFTER everything was over.

Also if I was Gandalf I would have killed those two retarded hobbits Merry and Pippen way back in the mines of MOria after that stunt with the well. If theres one moral to take from the trilogy its that hobbits are retarded and should be exterminated.

Oh and Sam should have just cut off Smeguls head in his sleep while Frodo was sleeping as soon as he realized that Smegul was going to betray them and that Frodo was a pansy.

Warrior Priest Gamalyel Of Everild

Sanity is the Playground of the unimaginative
Re: Plot holes 12/26/2004 03:28 AM CST
>1. Elrond should have just killed Isulir and thrown him and the ring into the lava the moment he refused to toss the ring into the flames.

Maybe Elrond wasn't powerful enough to kill Isildur (especially when he has a ring of power)

>2. Frodo should have just rode a giant eagle straight to Mordor, dropped it over the volcanoe and flew home. End of story. But for some reason Gandalf could only have the eagle rescue him, join the final battle, and go to the volcano to pick up Frodo AFTER everything was over.

I hear people say this all the time, and it's silly. The only reason the eagles could fly over Morder safely like that was because the ring had already been destroyed and Sauron lost control of the armies which would've easily killed the eagle and Frodo if they tried that.

Apu
Re: Plot holes 12/29/2004 02:33 PM CST
>>Maybe Elrond wasn't powerful enough to kill Isildur (especially when he has a ring of power) <<

Not to mention that kinslaying was a very large Elven taboo, especially after what happened when Feanor left.

The mind of a warrior is like a mirror in that it has no commitment to any outcome and is free to let form and purpose result on the spot, according to the situation.
-Yagyu Munenori
Re: Plot holes 12/30/2004 10:15 AM CST
yeah... and if all that stuff happened, I would never have gotten the 3 movie extended version with extra bonus CDs set for Christmas!

> I see dead people...<

Vote for Pedro
Re: Plot holes 12/30/2004 07:02 PM CST
i dont understand how that could be a plot hole? one way to think about it would be, just because there is an easier way to do something, does not mean the charecters in the story would go that route.

Verbal.
Re: Plot holes 12/31/2004 10:35 AM CST
I would imagine that if they tried to fly the ring in with the eagles then a very nice aerial battle would occur with the Wraiths on those flying beasts. The ring would attract them like a homing beacon.

Player of a few too many

Sometimes when you cry no one sees your tears.
Sometimes when you are worried no one sees your pain.
Sometimes when you are happy no one see you smile.

But fart just one time...
Re: Plot holes 01/02/2005 05:46 AM CST
>Oh and Sam should have just cut off Smeguls head in his sleep while Frodo was sleeping as soon as he realized that Smegul was going to betray them and that Frodo was a pansy.

The movie didn't elucidate this well enough, but the very fact that Smegul was alive facilitated Frodo in destroying the ring. Frodo was at the end of his rope at the point of Mount Doom and would have failed to of finished it on his own.

So Gandalf's prophetic words early on played true in the end. Not verbatim but along the lines of be careful of killing things out of hand, you don't know what part they will play later (this when Sam asked him how come they didn't just kill Smegul when they had captured and questioned him).

Gidske
Re: Plot holes 01/02/2005 06:01 AM CST
As for the eagles, Apu mentioned that clear enough. The eye would of clearly seen an eagle flying toward Gorgoroth (did we forget about Saruman wanting the ring too?). The journey south was as much to hide the fact they were travelling south. The forces of good wanted to deceive Sauron into thinking they were keeping the ring to use while doing exactly the opposite.

As Steeldreamer mentioned, Elves just didn't kill other elves; you just didn't do that. I can only recall such things happening during the First Age with the sons of Feanor during their quest to get back the Silmarils (propogated by their dad, Feanor of course).

Gidske