Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 04:56 AM CDT
>>with about half an hour of extra material that should been cut (The black people dancing = white people sex scence for example. It ran what 5 minutes? I woulda settled for... 5 minutes less.)

That scene was actually very well done and had a lot of meaning to the movie, if you took the time to look into it. Not to mention the fact that it was one of the better songs on the soundtrack playing to it as well. But it would be a far stretch to say that you enjoyed every single minute of a movie, ANY movie.

>>as well as some of the situations being simply far too forced (The instant kissing of Neo and Trinity in the elevator)

I personally didn't think it was "forced" at all, it looked very natural actually.

>>or just really inherantly silly (the entire thing with the cake for example

Definately coulda done without that.

>>Also the cheesy pan up and "Dundundah!" at the end... just silly.

Disagree completely. I think they ended it PERFECTLY.

>>Am I looking forward to Relelations? Very much so. But I'm certainly looking forward to ROTK more... Though I'll almost certainly go to midnight showings of both.

I'm looking forward to ROTK, however the main downfall to Return of the King is that you already know the ending, and it really isn't that great to begin with. I think it has promise as an action movie with a bit of drama, but the action just simply won't compare with Reloaded or Revolutions...and the drama really is tiring. Frodo just needs to shut the hell up about the ring already, he's had it for like two months...Bilbo lived with it for YEARS and never fell to the ground crying like a little girl. I hate the character of Frodo and I hate Elijah Wood as an actor, both of which really take away from the entire LOTR series for me. The rest of the cast and characters make up for it, however, and so I still enjoy them as movies...but not as much as if Frodo would just die a horrible death and give the ring to someone else.

>> and though it did different things it really wasn't any more groundbreaking the say the LOTRs movies in it's special effects and so forth.

Absolutely incorrect. The Lord of the Rings did nothing at all that was special in it's action scenes. Not one thing. Good choreography, decent massive battle scene rendering...but in the end, nothing that hasn't been done before, and nothing that took any sort of stretch of the imagination. Braveheart had better battle scenes in my opinion.

The only thing that LOTR did extremely well was scenery. They did excellent with their miniatures and their backdrops and really made a great immersive world. But they did that with an entire beutiful country. Keep in mind that not ONE of the places in all of Zion or the real world in Reloaded is a real place that they could just film. All the panoramic views and all the caverns and machines, EVERYTHING was done with CG...and I doubt that most people could even tell. A lot of people probably thought they were miniatures or sets, but only the very closeup views were done with sets...where people were talking to each other, for example. The rest of it was all beautifully rendered Computer Generation that was, in a word, brilliant. And Revolutions is going to give a lot more of that. drools

>>Alright I've reached that incoherant babbling point (Probley did awhile ago...) so I'll stop now.

No no, I thought it was a great and well thoughtout post. Even if I do disagree. =)

>>Reloaded - Very cool movie though deeply flawed. (For the record I saw it twice within 24 hours of it's release and a third time within the week. The TTT for comparison I saw three times in theatures as well, though not quite as tightly spaced).

I saw both of them three times in theatres as well. But I've now seen Reloaded a total of...counts...like 12 times? 13? I love the movie, I'll never get tired of watching it over and over and over and over. As a matter of fact, I have it running in pretty much a 24 hour continuous loop on my DVD player upstairs. I hope it doesn't melt the DVD, but I wouldn't mind buyin another one. It really was THAT good of a movie. And hopefully Revolutions is even better.

If you haven't seen it yet, download the theatrical trailer.

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/thematrix/us/med/rev_theatre_0x10383910_1024_dl.zip

Or go to www.whatisthematrix.com and click on trailers to see the full listing of all 4 amazing trailers.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 07:20 AM CDT
<<Give me one movie EVER who did even half the new things that Reloaded did.>>

Howsabout you list the new things that Reloaded did, since you've never even attempted to do so.

Drongol's Player
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 08:39 AM CDT
I am too lazy to list them, but they are not "hidden" or difficult to find. Plug "Reloaded" into your nearest search engine and look some of the things up yourself. Or, if you have any knowledge of CG or special effects AT ALL, go watch Reloaded again and try to think to yourself how they pulled off a specific scene. Some of the things they did I would have thought would have taken YEARS to do with all the software I've seen out there, and they have some pretty advanced and amazing stuff out there.

But for a very, VERY, brief overview of some of the amazing things that Reloaded did, watch all the special features on the DVD. Some interesting stuff that might spark some interest in going out and researching it yourself, at the very least.

Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 10:22 AM CDT
>>I'm looking forward to ROTK, however the main downfall to Return of the King is that you already know the ending

Speak for yourself, but thank you for not sayin what it is. The hardest part about being one of the 0.1% of the people on the planet who hasn't read the books is everyone around assuming you have and ruining various parts of the plot in passing converstaions. :(

>>The Lord of the Rings did nothing at all that was special in it's action scenes. Not one thing.

Not really fair though since LoTR isn't really an action movie like Matrix.

-Ranik
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 10:55 AM CDT
>>Chakram>>I think what made the Matrix was so good was it's originality, and as many have already pointed out, Reloaded definitely lacked this.

Ummmm ... it IS a sequel. They tried rewriting the base story with Highlander 2 and that failed miserably, remember? When it's a true sequel, that means the base story is the same and the film picks up where its predecessor left off, so just what do you expect for "originality"?

They added the culture of Zion, which we saw NONE of in the first movie. We saw how the people of Zion viewed The One and it was a shock to find out that not everyone believed in Neo's power. They added in more of the command structure and interpersonal relationships of the Captains and their crews ... first movie all we saw was Morpheus and his crew. We also found out that not only can humans enter the matrix, but vice versa can happen when a sentinel program uses an exit. I mean, how's THAT for originality ... we've seen computer constructs coming to life in other movies, but not often does someone broach the concept of the human body being "hacker-prone"?

Most importantly (gotta be careful here for those who haven't seen it yet ... poor souls ... and don't want spoilers) we find out that the machines found out that not only does a Utopia fail miserably with humans (as Agent Smith revealed in the first movie) but even a "real" world is like Windows 95: inherently flawed and will eventually crash if not maintained. So it has to run a maintenance program which in turn has to be rebooted occasionally (or else the maintenance program will cause the very same crash it is built to prevent) and they have a plan in place already for that. A plan that has gone on for several cycles already and boy is Neo flabbergasted when he finds out what part he plays in this plan.

I fail to see where this movie lacks "originality". They took the original story line, preserved it, then added 20 times more original story and complexity than the first movie did. At last, a movie that gives its viewers some credit and rather than spoonfeeding us simple overused plots, it gives us something original, something we have to think about to understand and enjoy.

BRAVO! Give me MORE!

On top of all that, I find it ironic that people would criticize Matrix:Reloaded for originality while lauding the LotR films, a recreation of a book which was written going on a century ago and already told in several different ways. Mostly, the same people that criticize Jackson for deviating too much from the original story (a necessary evil, considering the project and the audience).

I guess originality is one of those "eye of the beholder" kind of things? ;-)

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 11:05 AM CDT
<<I am too lazy to list them, but they are not "hidden" or difficult to find.>>

That's amazing, because I did not see much that was terrifically "new" about Reloaded. Furthermore, the burden of proof does not fall upon the doubting party.

<<But for a very, VERY, brief overview of some of the amazing things that Reloaded did, watch all the special features on the DVD.>>

This would involve wasting the money on either purchasing or renting the DVD. I have absolutely no desire to watch that movie ever again, so I see no reason to spend my money on an argument which you have yet to prove.

One thing to remember: special effects do not remove the necessity for good acting, good screenwriting, and an interesting story.

Drongol's Player
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 11:14 AM CDT
<<We saw how the people of Zion viewed The One and it was a shock to find out that not everyone believed in Neo's power.>>

It was a shock that the reaction of the general populace was similar to that of the reaction of Morpheous' crew when first confronted with the possibility of Neo being "The One?"

<<They added in more of the command structure and interpersonal relationships of the Captains and their crews ... first movie all we saw was Morpheus and his crew.>>

And we didn't even get to see that in the second movie. Evidently most of the crewmembers of a ship are there to add "coolness" by wearing expensive sunglasses and tailored suits of varying degrees of blackness.

<<We also found out that not only can humans enter the matrix, but vice versa can happen when a sentinel program uses an exit. I mean, how's THAT for originality>>

While its originality could be debated (read Snow Crash), its plausibility came quite close to ruining the series as a whole. Neo's "superpowers" outside of the Matrix managed to do that.

<<but even a "real" world is like Windows 95: inherently flawed and will eventually crash if not maintained.>>

Assuming, of course, that a computer program that is dealing with a man with the power to destroy it utterly without even having to blink his eyes, but yet cannot for the life of him come up with something resembling intelligence (let's fight with our fists) would have the incredible stupidity to tell the truth to said absent-minded potential destroyer.

<<At last, a movie that gives its viewers some credit and rather than spoonfeeding us simple overused plots, it gives us something original, something we have to think about to understand and enjoy.>>

Yes, because fighting with one's fists against things which one can destroy effortlessly gives the viewers quite a bit of credit, does it not?

Drongol's Player
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 11:35 AM CDT
>>Mozzik>>though I still have to argue unless in Revelations they give a MUCH better reason for keeping humans around, that's a giant plot hole as the humans would never be an efficent energy source, returning far less then would have to be invested to maintain then, and being FAR less efficent then the fusion power they admit they have as well

That's easy, if the writers did any research.

You ever visit one of those websites that ask you to "donate" your extra processing power to help solve a datacrunching problem, such as for SETI, AIDS research or a number of other projects? Basically these places use your computer's unused resources to crunch numbers and via the internet they expand their own processing power without adding a single piece of equipment, thanks to volunteers.

Now add in the fact that the average human, during their lifetime, uses less than 10% of their full brain function or capacity. In fact IIRC it was the best of the best that might use 10-12%, average was closer to 5-6%. Something along the lines of if we used 100% of our capacity we would have total recall of memory, be able to learn and fluently speak 30+ languages (including idioms, slang, regional usage) by simply hearing it spoken once, possibly even ESP or telekinetic power. Imagine just reading a set of books and in less than a year absorbing more knowledge than most people do now going from kindergarten to high school graduate.

And all of those resources lie in waste. A smart machine would put it to use and the connection of all those human brains would make for a very powerful supercomputer. They are the core of the Matrix. Take out the humans, you don't just take out a heat source and the "players" of the game (active mind means getting more heat/bioelectricity, but an active mind has to be distracted lest it figure out what's happening to its body), you take out the Matrix itself becuase it would no longer have the processing center that runs it.

Just my theory, who knows what the writers thought of. ;-)

~~~Krin
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 11:37 AM CDT
<<Now add in the fact that the average human, during their lifetime, uses less than 10% of their full brain function or capacity.>>

Incorrect. Research has shown that the average human actually uses the entirety of their brain, but that the majority of it is made up as "network junctions" (I believe the term was that) which do not show up as activity on the vast majority of MRIs and other brain imaging devices.

Effectively, there's a problem with our technology, not with our heads.

Drongol's Player
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 12:25 PM CDT
>Drongol>Yep, they made a fight scene so darned boring that I nearly fell asleep. I mean, come on, spending ten minutes fighting a bazillion Agent Smiths didn't exactly do anything for me.

What about a bazillion Agent Smith's in string bikinis?

Finding Nemo Rocks!

Raydell

You have 2669 total ranks.
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 12:42 PM CDT
>>Drongol>>Yes, because fighting with one's fists against things which one can destroy effortlessly gives the viewers quite a bit of credit, does it not?

Because the machines did have the foresight to NOT give that sort of power to one who would be intelligent enough to realize its true potential. And just because it appears as a fistfight to us (it's a human representation ... in reality, all those people are floating in tanks, the "real" world doesn't exist to them) what was actually happening was two sections of code electronically battling for dominance. One driven by a self-sufficient sentinel program (the Agent), one by a human mind (Neo).

Neo just hadn't figured out how to electronically trip the doomsday switch yet. Or, perhaps, he just can't access it even though eh was allowed to believe he could.

Neo isn't that bright when it comes to tactics, strategy or social situations, but he's a good programmer and a helluva hacker ... sounds like the typical shut-in technogeek to me. :-D

~~~Krin
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 12:44 PM CDT
<< And just because it appears as a fistfight to us (it's a human representation ... in reality, all those people are floating in tanks, the "real" world doesn't exist to them) what was actually happening was two sections of code electronically battling for dominance.>>

And in the first movie, when Neo dove into Smith, that was..?

Drongol's Player
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 01:32 PM CDT
I'm not talking about how much activity shows up on an MRI. I am talking about how much memory is used compared to how much is available ... I am talking about how much processing power the human brain could have if all it's internal connections were at their highest efficiency, the chemical balances "perfect" and everything running the best it could.

There is a lot more potential than most ever get to utilize. It is somewhat like comparing a modern gas-electric hybrid engine or even just a "plain" internal combustion system used in most cars today to the engine of an original Model T. Same basic design but one is more efficient and better utilizes its fuel than the other (not to mention improvements in fuel refinement in that time). Perhaps someday humans will see more of their potential but likely not in this lifetime.

~~~Krin
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 01:46 PM CDT
Of course there is zero indication this has been done to the people in the matrix, and had it been done you would assume there would be some side effects, or at least a show of hightened intellect or some such, but none of that is apparent. Also I'm rather sure you could fine a far more effective data system them the human brain, even with technology that we're on the brink of today let alone what the machines have developed by that point. While it's another way to look at it the only one presented in the heat = power argument, and that's just bogus. You're going to get a less then 100% return in power, giving you a net loss. Anyone with a little science background should be able to understand why this isn't possible, you can't just create energy, and humans need energy to survive, which the machines are having to provide. This is why all fuel sources consume something to boost their energy return over the initial investment, but unless you're combusting babies (so you need never provide food or anything for them... except whoops, you have to grow them into a baby first so even then it won't work). I suppose if you were raising babies and THEN somehow getting a fusion reaction going with the baby you might end up with a net energy gain...

-Mozzik

Talian says, "Looks like I'm a... gypsy at the moment I think."
Talian whispers, "Because gypsies really are the best."
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 01:55 PM CDT
>>>Mozzik>>though I still have to argue unless in Revelations they give a MUCH better reason for keeping humans around, that's a giant plot hole as the humans would never be an efficent energy source, returning far less then would have to be invested to maintain then, and being FAR less efficent then the fusion power they admit they have as well

I always assumed that the writers had never heard of the Laws of Thermodynamics. Or assumed that the viewers hadn't :)

I also considered it a rather large hole in the plot (from the first time I heard Morpheous explain what the Matrix was), but I always let it slide because it is the premise of the movie. Just like I wouldn't mind watching movies whose premises include time travel, or mutant superheroes, or wizards and elves, or whatever, even though those are all physically impossible as well.

Apu
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 02:08 PM CDT
>Anyone with a little science background should be able to understand why this isn't possible, you can't just create energy, and humans need energy to survive, which the machines are having to provide.

One way they could explain this (although obviously they don't) is to claim that the machines have large stores of energy which humans can use, but machines cannot - and the humans are just converting the energy into a form usable by the machines. So say the machines could grow large amounts of food (since apparently the humans in Zion have no problem producing food from nowhere), but that the machines cannot digest food (which is a logical assumption). Then by keeping humans around in the Matrix, they are able to keep converting the chemical potential energy stored in the food into thermal energy which they can use (and even though the process is very inefficient, it is better than nothing).

Apu
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 02:10 PM CDT
>>Drongol>>And in the first movie, when Neo dove into Smith, that was..?

A direct assault on Smith's source code. ;-) Either that, or he simply caused the system to unload Smith's code into a cache somewhere, which would explain his return ... and somewhere in the process Smith's code was changed.

~~~Krin
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 02:15 PM CDT
<<A direct assault on Smith's source code.>>

Which he could not do when he was confronted again with Smith, or when he met the Architect, or when he was attempting to get the Keymaker, etc., etc.?

Drongol's Player
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 02:19 PM CDT
>>One way they could explain this (although obviously they don't) is to claim that the machines have large stores of energy which humans can use, but machines cannot - and the humans are just converting the energy into a form usable by the machines. So say the machines could grow large amounts of food (since apparently the humans in Zion have no problem producing food from nowhere), but that the machines cannot digest food (which is a logical assumption). Then by keeping humans around in the Matrix, they are able to keep converting the chemical potential energy stored in the food into thermal energy which they can use (and even though the process is very inefficient, it is better than nothing).

Unfortunately they say the machines are feeding the dead to the living like we can be made into some kind of perpetual motion machine.

Every movie has plotholes though. Whether its noisy ships in space, laserbeams moving slower than cars (and visible too), or your bus driver being used as a power source for the local sentient computer system bent on world domination. To me, a good movie is one that can make you forget about these holes and just lose you in the story. And I think the Matrix definitely had that. :)

-Ranik
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 02:31 PM CDT
>>Mozzik>>Of course there is zero indication this has been done to the people in the matrix

There's been zero indication of a LOT of things in the Matrix. For one, we have never seen it's central mainframe, or even if it has one or if they rely on a Borg-like communal intelligence. It's an entire separate world for the most part and there's only so much you can tell about it in one movie without either overloading the audience with information or confusing them with insufficient information because you had to give each piece only a cursory look before moving on to the next.

>>Mozzik>>or at least a show of hightened intellect or some such,

Oh? Why? Does running the SETI assistance program on your PC increase your CPU clock speed, memory size or enashnce your operating system? Newp, just uses resources you weren't using and has no effect on the rest of the system. The sections of code are alien to your operating system and do nothing to enhance it.

If anything, there would be a chance of problems, as the brain might attempt to access a portion of the brain the matrix was using at the time and cause the mental equivalent to a crash. But then, seeing as how the machines had total control over the reproduction process and even the embryos had implants already in them, I wouldn't doubt the machines did a bit of genetic engineering to help prevent that as well.

~~~Krin
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 03:45 PM CDT
>>Which he could not do when he was confronted again with Smith, or when he met the Architect, or when he was attempting to get the Keymaker, etc., etc.?

When he was confronted a second time with Agent Smith, Smith was no longer connected or a part of the Matrix.

When he met the Architect, what was he going to do? Kill the Architect? What would that even Solve? I don't understand your point there, he needed info from the Architect...not to kill him. The Architect isn't the ruler of the machines.

Not to mention, I think he handled himself quite well without taking over and destroying the code of others all over the place.

>>While its originality could be debated (read Snow Crash), its plausibility came quite close to ruining the series as a whole. Neo's "superpowers" outside of the Matrix managed to do that.

This is where you lose all credibility for any of your future and/or past opinions on Reloaded. How can you say that Neo's wierd powers outside the Matrix ruined Reloaded? Because YOU don't understand how it happened, so therefore it is stupid? That was possibly the best plot twist that anyone has EVER put in a movie EVER because unless you really really watched the movie well, you're left with no clue at all as to how that happened. Everyone has theories, yes, but you don't know why or how that happened, and it leaves a perfect beginning for Revolutions.

Even if you absolutely hated Reloaded, I will bet you 100 bucks right now that you will see Revolutions at some point, just to see how they finished it off. You may not see it opening day, or maybe not till the dollar show, or maybe you rent it, or watch it in one of it's hundreds of reruns on TV...but I guarantee that you will see it if you saw Reloaded.

Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 05:21 PM CDT
>Unfortunately they say the machines are feeding the dead to the living like we can be made into some kind of perpetual motion machine.

Yeah, they do say that, but do they actually say that this is the ONLY thing they're feeding the humans in the matrix? If I remember right, they just mention that the machines liquify the dead and feed them to the living (which be a logical move for the machines), but I don't remember them saying anything that would contradict the possibility that they were also being fed food or some sort but they just didn't bother mentioning it in the movie because it didn't have as much shock value

Apu
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 05:23 PM CDT
Yah know there are really only three explinations for how he used his "super powers" outside the matrix...

1) He's somehow become so powerful as to use them in the real world. IMHO this is a lame answer.

2) The real world is infact another level of the Matrix. IMHO this is almost lamer them option 1.

3) When he left the Architect he never really in fact left the matrix (but everything before that part was in the real world) and is playing out some form of events based on his choice made with the Architect. IMHO this is the best possible answer of the three, though still a slight cop out as it implies quite a bit of stuff "Wasn't real".

Yah gots other explinations let's hear em, but honestly I think all of em boil down to those three.

-Mozzik

Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 05:34 PM CDT
I have no unused resources. They're mine. You can't have them. <raspberry SETI>

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

It has a dragonrealms section so I can spam it! Go me!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 06:03 PM CDT
<<When he was confronted a second time with Agent Smith, Smith was no longer connected or a part of the Matrix.>>

And yet he was capable of being in the matrix, not to mention "replicating" his code.

<<That was possibly the best plot twist that anyone has EVER put in a movie EVER because unless you really really watched the movie well, you're left with no clue at all as to how that happened.>>

And here is where you lose all credibility for any of your points, I'm afraid.

Drongol's Player
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 06:17 PM CDT
<<That was possibly the best plot twist that anyone has EVER put in a movie EVER because unless you really really watched the movie well, you're left with no clue at all as to how that happened.>>

<And here is where you lose all credibility for any of your points, I'm afraid.

<Drongol's Player

So true... so true.

-Mozzik

Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/20/2003 06:42 PM CDT
You all really took this discussion to a level I never thought you could.

Bravo.

So perhaps the subject title should actually relate to the Matrix since that's what has taken over?
In my opinion though, Lord of the Rings Trilogy >> Matrix Trilogy
(By the way, two greater than signs, in my little whacked out world, means REALLY greater than..yep.)

~Player of Terra
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/21/2003 12:04 PM CDT
>>Teeklin>>When he was confronted a second time with Agent Smith, Smith was no longer connected or a part of the Matrix.

Ah, didn't think of that, it works. Same would apply to the ghost brothers and several other key players. Even the replicated Smiths, since part of the replication could very well involve severing their tie to the Matrix itself.

Would have to see how Neo handles true Matrix constructs such as some of the other Agents pre-infection by Smith. <ponders> Come to think of it, there is a problem there ... the door to the Architect is a Matrix construct, why would he need the Keymaster to get in? Couldn't he just eliminate the door?

But then, I guess that opens other concepts ... the door is just a mental image of the actual code, would eliminating the door be equivalent to erasing a section of core code that cause the Matrix itself to suffer. Even without the Matrix, the machines themselves still exist and unless they get more of the humans unplugged and bolster their numbers, uit's likely they'd get wiped out again anyway. Can't crash the Matrix too soon, they'd be killing themselves.

So don't eliminate the door ... but he should find a way to pass through it now that he knows where it is.

>>Steel>>And yet he was capable of being in the matrix, not to mention "replicating" his code.

Just like Neo, the Oracle and the Keymaster. Neo is the projection of an external intelligence, the latter two are free-floating code that exist in the Matrix but aren't tied to it (if they were, then why would the Agents go through so much trouble to take them out, when they could simply morph into them like they do any of the "normal" people in the Matrix?). Which sounds like what Smith has become. As for replicating ... Neo could affect Matrix code, Smith could do the same. Two different methods ... Neo dominates and rewrites, Smith overwrites using his own code (sounds like he has become the virus he accused humans of being in the first movie) ... but with similar result. And having originally been a Matrix construct himself, Smith would have the connections (pardon the pun) to do it.

Which brings me back to the door. Perhaps that is what stops him ... maybe the Architect was smart enough to make his entire office a section of code residing as a separate entity, not unlike rogue programs such as the Keymaker or the Zion projections into the Matrix? That would make his door and office immune to Neo's power as they aren't part of the Matrix but they aren't "real" either.

>>Mozzik>>Yah know there are really only three explinations for how he used his "super powers" outside the matrix...

Actually, you forgot one.

Perhaps Neo is of such a controlled mind where within the matrix this control allows him control over the Matrix itself ... in the real world it results in such things as ESP, telekenesis, etc. Such things are theoretically possible and in this case perhaps they are linked. Not by his Matrix ability but by what gives him that ability ... his own mind.

Consider this: in setting the humans up for a fall, the machines allow the creation of The One. What they didn't account for was the possibility of opening up long-forgotten power within the human mind that noone, human or machine, knew of or understands.

And now we see if that mistake costs the machines the whole enchilada and the world goes back to the humans. That's what they get for contracting their operating system to MicroSoft (under new robotic management, a cyborg imitation of Bill Gates), hate it when those latent bugs rear their ugly heads. <smirk>

Ah, this is why I enjoy the movie ... I LOVE a movie that makes me THINK ...

~~~Krin
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/21/2003 12:15 PM CDT
>>Apu>>but I don't remember them saying anything that would contradict the possibility that they were also being fed food or some sort but they just didn't bother mentioning it in the movie because it didn't have as much shock value

Food of some sort has to be introduced into the system somewhere, or else the population would shrink. Bear with me, here we go:

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed ... same goes for matter. However they CAN be interchanged ... energy to matter and vice versa. The machines are taking energy from the matrix, so it has to come from somewhere, it doesn't magically appear. It has to be introduced into the system either as energy or matter.

The matter coming from the liquefied dead is energy/matter they received while living and converted to tissue, it still had to come from somewhere. Otherwise, as the machines draw energy the sum total of the Matrix decreases and the number of humans in the power plant goes down.

Machines can't use food but food crops can use forms of energy not directly usable by the machines such as the chemical energy of fertilizer. feed that food to the humans, just mix it in with their existing feeding systems and off you go. Now a new source is being added, just have to add as much as you are taking out in other forms and the whole stays stable.

As for the lack of sunlight (we "burnt the sky" according to Morpheus) the machines would lkely look into the life forms ... both fish and plant ... that existed in the depths of the oceans where sunlight wasn;t present to begin with.

And therein lies my only point of contention with the movie. If the machines had been in control that long ... why haven't they thought to set up satellites above the atmosphere to collect solar energy and relay it down to the surface? Develop the technology for a microwave power relay and they could pepper the area around the Earth with solar-collecting satellites. Or send craft to adjacent planets ... Mars for thermal production, Jupiter for all sorts of gas-source power including hydrogen and methane for fuel cell sources.

On top of all that ... clean up the sky and get solar back on the surface.

~~~Krin
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/21/2003 01:45 PM CDT
>Perhaps Neo is of such a controlled mind where within the matrix this control allows him control over the Matrix itself ... in the real world it results in such things as ESP, telekenesis, etc. Such things are theoretically possible and in this case perhaps they are linked. Not by his Matrix ability but by what gives him that ability ... his own mind.

I'm rather sure that would fall under a varient of "Grown so powerful he can now for whatever reason use superpowers outside the Matrix".

-Mozzik

Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/21/2003 05:23 PM CDT
Right. But I am just saying perhaps they both have a common source and one manifested quicker than the other, rather than one leading to the other. Well, one may have helped the other to develop faster but nothing's to say it wouldn't have developed on its own.

And a common source goes a long way toward explaining why he would have both.

~~~Krin
Re: Return of the King Trailer... 10/22/2003 02:55 PM CDT
>>Steel>>And yet he was capable of being in the matrix, not to mention "replicating" his code.

I never said this, did I?

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

It has a dragonrealms section so I can spam it! Go me!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page