This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 08/26/2003 01:44 PM CDT
for those that are into LOTR as much as I am....I'm a drooling fool right about now...I pulled this article from the web....one I know I can't wait for...

Attention, Frodo fanatics: Better load up on the popcorn and soda and invest in a comfy cushion--because you're in for a sore butt.

Two weeks before The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King wraps things up on December 17, New Line Cinema plans to unleash in theaters special extended editions of the first two installments in director Peter Jackson's epic adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy trilogy.

Cinephiles who couldn't get enough of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring special edition DVD, which clocked in at 208 minutes and included scenes not in the theatrical version, will be able to see the epic on the big screen in all its glory starting on December 5 in about 100 movie houses in the U.S. and 20 in Canada.

A week later, on December 12, New Line will unspool the special 214-minute extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. That version is slated to premiere as a DVD first on November 18 (the DVD of last year's "official" theatrical release is due out on Tuesday).

But wait! There's more!

For those with serious Hobbit habits longing to venture into Middle Earth for more than a few hours, New Line plans to screen all three films back-to-back-to-back on December 16 in a daylong marathon that will carry over with The Return of the King's global release on December 17.

Per Daily Variety, New Line sent memos out to exhibitors across the country this week informing them of the reissue and suggesting various screening strategies to maximize promotion leading up to The Return of the King.

The goal, according to the studio, is not simply monetary, but it's intended to refresh moviegoers' memories of the good-vs.-evil saga that has been lording over the box office and critics' lists for the past two years.

"The release of the third film affords us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to give audiences a compelling new theatrical experience of Peter Jackson (news)'s sprawling vision for this trilogy," Rolf Mittwg, New Line's head of worldwide distribution and marketing, told Variety.

The memo lays out guidelines for theaters calling for Fellowship to begin screening at 3 p.m. on December 16, Two Towers to follow at 7 p.m., and the first official showing of Return of the King kicking off at 11 p.m. and concluding early in the wee hours of the 17th.

The final installment is going to be the longest in the series, coming in at over three hours. Jackson promised fans in a recent USA Today interview that the climactic clash between Middle Earthlings and the fiendish Lord Sauron and his minions at Pelennor Fields will surpass Two Towers' Battle of Helm's Deep in breadth and scope.

Jackson says the most satisfying part of Return of the King will be the emotional climax, something he had to bring the entire cast back for additional shooting this spring and forced him to even rework some key scenes.

"Everybody feels we are paying off the story now," Jackson said. "The scenes tend to be more emotionally charged, which is why the actors enjoyed them and I enjoyed filming them. It absolutely has to be the best. We owe it to people."

New Line is banking on the Lord of Rings capper to build enough buzz to finally garner Jackson and his epic an Oscar. Despite a slew of nominations (Two Towers being the first sequel since The Godfather Part II to be nominated for Best Picture) and some wins in technical categories, the golden guy has proven elusive to the filmmaker. Many show-biz insiders believe the usually fantasy-averse Motion Picture Academy is waiting for the finale before anointing Jackson's work.

Regardless of whether Jackson stocks up his trophy case, his Rings cycle has put him in a league of his own.

The filmmaker recently sealed a deal with Universal Pictures for his next project, a massive retelling of King Kong that will see him earn $20 million up front as well as gross points on the back end, one of the most lucrative contracts ever for a director.

Advanced tickets for the rereleases are slated to go on sale in late September or early October via movie-ticketing sites like Fandango, Moviefone and Movietickets.com as well as exhibitor Websites.

IS IT DECEMBER YET???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Dalkin~
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 08/26/2003 03:39 PM CDT
If that runs into any of my finals... there WILL be blood spilt! Or at least a lot of begging and hopin' my prof is a fan too.

-Mozzik, training for long distance arse sitting by playing DR...

Talian says, "Looks like I'm a ..gypsy at the moment I think."
Talian whispers, "Because gypsies really are the best."
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 08/26/2003 05:06 PM CDT
I have finals on the 15, 16, and 17...Needless to say, I am rather upset..and furious. Time to go 'talk' with a few teachers.

Gryck Ormen
Adept of the ODS
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 08/26/2003 05:43 PM CDT
I'll be going, muhahahahaha!

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

"Resist. Unlearn. Defy." - Incubus
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 08/26/2003 06:52 PM CDT
Noooo! I have finals on those dates as well!...wait, no i don't. Go me!

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

It has a dragonrealms section so I can spam it! Go me!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 08/27/2003 02:09 AM CDT
so glad I'm outa college.......:-D

*ducks all the flying tomato's and daggers*

I've already told my employer, I'm calling in my sick days the 16th and 17th of december....she asked why, I told her...her response:

" I can have my vacation days faxed before you "

Bosses...some are fax happy....mutters

~Dalkin~
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 08/27/2003 07:06 AM CDT
Oh, boy. Maybe I should arrange a sitter for my baby now ...

Espritia

Sleep deprivation... a whole new way to look at the world.
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 08/31/2003 02:40 PM CDT
Any ideas where in the Midwest?

Raineira
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 08/31/2003 05:20 PM CDT
No idea, I"m out in Oklahoma, so I'll be gettin tickets at the Tinsletown Theaters here, stadium seating.....grins...than again my wife works at the Omniplex out here..I can always drag my X-Box out to the 40 foot by 70 foot screen and watch the first two there before I see the two in theaters on Dec 16th...grins...not sure yet...

anyone else in the OK area thats thinking about going that want to get together before hand?

~Dalkin~
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 10/08/2003 11:36 PM CDT
Bah, what about the west coast, anyone hear anything?

Genneron Camanast

Li Tumbra Mir
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FatherJarle/index.html
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 10/09/2003 12:23 AM CDT
http://www.lordoftherings.net/trilogy/theaters.html

-Ranik
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 10/09/2003 12:43 AM CDT
I STILL can't believe only one bloody theater in my STATE (OR) is doing this... and it's a crappy one at that. Not like... "Aura of evil" around it but it's Regal (strike one... Century is SO much better for more reasons then I care to list here), AND it's one of the worst Regal's around (Small, old lousy seats, not stadium). Argh. <twitch> I feel guilty buying tickets two months in advance to go to that lousy of a theater but not sure I wanna wager on this that a non suck place will throw their hats in the ring sometime over the next two months...

-Mozzik

Talian says, "Looks like I'm a... gypsy at the moment I think."
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 10/09/2003 12:59 AM CDT
I just called to find out how much tickets are for the 16th, and the guy told me there are 2 people waiting outside to get theirs when the box office opens in 12 hours. Why am I not surprised?

~ Ahk, who's goin to bed so he can have his F5 finger ready when he needs it

Primary Magic: 5 31.91% clear

You say, "Sweet! Spell slots here I come!"
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 10/09/2003 01:10 AM CDT
So how much are they?

-Mozzik

Talian says, "Looks like I'm a... gypsy at the moment I think."
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 10/09/2003 08:37 AM CDT
ARGH!

NO THEATRES IN MY ENTIRE STATE are showing this. I'd have to go into the Philly suburbs.

Not that I could go, only sleeping babies would be welcome and mine can't sleep that long yet!

Sigh.

Espritia
Re: This Just In!!!!!!!!!! 10/09/2003 08:39 AM CDT
In Boston they were a little under 30 clams. About what you would expect for 3 movies...

Primary Magic: 5 31.91% clear

You say, "Sweet! Spell slots here I come!"