2 things 01/07/2003 08:56 PM CST
1. As a huge fan of Tolkien since before I ever heard they were making movies I must say.... READ THE BOOKS FIRST!!! cackle
2. It scares me that the most GM posts I have saw together at once are under this folder... but I guess I can understand it being easier to talk about TTT than argue with someone that thinks thieves should get a heavy plate learning bonus because they forgot to oil their armor and it seized up on them.
Re: 2 things 01/08/2003 05:47 AM CST
I've actually decided to hold off and not read the books until after the movies have all been released and I've seen them. If I were to read the books first, I'd probably be really irritated with things that differ greatly in the films.

When I saw the first movie, I realized how much of DragonRealms was based on LOTR. It seems irrational, but I was actually pretty upset about that for a few days. I didn't really enjoy the first movie for that reason, and I wasn't looking forward to sitting through the second, but we went, and I have to admit that the year in between helped a lot and that I liked the second movie MUCH more than the first. Since seeing the second, I've actually watched the first again on video a few times and have come to enjoy it much more, also.

And now, I can't wait to see the final installment. Strange phenomenon.

Dulcinia's player
Re: 2 things 01/08/2003 06:19 AM CST
<<When I saw the first movie, I realized how much of DragonRealms was based on LOTR. It seems irrational, but I was actually pretty upset about that for a few days. I didn't really enjoy the first movie for that reason>>

Actually.. pretty much everything role play related has been loosely based on LOTR. Starting with Dungeons and Dragons going all the way through Ultima and Everquest. Those books started it all.

- player of a few and disturbed by the voices in my head because of it :)
Re: 2 things 01/08/2003 06:21 AM CST
>>When I saw the first movie, I realized how much of DragonRealms was based on LOTR.

You should of said, "When I saw the first movie, I realized how much of ALL Fantasy was based on LOTR." It spurred the inspiration for Dungeons and Dragons in the early 1970s, which spurred the inspiration for Fantasy Computer games in the 1980s.

Pretty much all modern fantasy has its roots placed firmly in Tolkien's world.

Ken/Gidske
Re: 2 things 01/08/2003 10:31 AM CST
I actually said exactly what I meant to say. I realize that you're right, but DR was my first foray into fantasy, so I had no frame of reference, regardless of what it "should" have been.

I think at first I felt disillusioned. Now I feel more enlightened than disillusioned. That's all.

Dulcinia
Re: 2 things 01/08/2003 10:39 AM CST
Fantasy has been around a long time. Tolkein based most of his world on already existing myths and legends. Dwarves, trolls, giants, elves, goblins, even halflings, all come from Celtic, Norse, Greek and other mythologies. What Tolkein did do, however, was show how sucessful fantasy could be in a secondary world. He also gave much of the English speaking world their first taste of fantasy literature.

-Merdell's player
Re: 2 things 01/08/2003 12:19 PM CST
>>Fantasy has been around a long time.

What I said was, "Pretty much all modern fantasy has its roots placed firmly in Tolkien's world."

Keyword being Modern Fantasy. I hope you weren't under the impression I thought Tolkien had created fantasy, he just refined it. I mean, who really can understand Beowulf the way it was actually written? I sure can't.

What you said though, Merdell, I agree with.

Ken/Gidske
Re: 2 things 01/08/2003 05:58 PM CST
>>I mean, who really can understand Beowulf the way it was actually written? <<

I loved Beowolf...there's a really good read out there named Grendel that tells the story from that perspective...it's trippy as anything, but it's hauntingly beautiful.

______No matter what it is, there is nothing that cannot be done. If one manifests the determination, he can move heaven and earth as he pleases. Moving heaven and earth without putting forth effort is merely a matter of concentration.
Re: 2 things 01/09/2003 01:23 AM CST
>>"Pretty much all modern fantasy has its roots placed firmly in Tolkien's world."

Quite true. The fantasy world he created quickly became the "standard" in the genre. To have altered the course of an entire genre in the way that he did is a phenomenal accomplishment.

-Kaelh