random thought 01/06/2003 08:04 PM CST
Just watched it for a second time... and something I found interesting was the speech sam gave at the end while they were recovering from the ring wraith almost getting them.. He talks about how he knows they aren't supposed to be there.. but they are.. so they have to deal with it..

I was just thinking that it had a double meaning.. I mean it fit for the movie and was a good line for that.. but could it also have been a comment to those watching and KNEW that sam and froddo shouldn't have been in that city at that point?

Anyways.. forgive any names misspelled. :)

Sulrin

ps. Maybe I am imagining things and am becoming too much like my professors and reading far too much into things.. always a possibility. :)
Re: random thought 01/06/2003 09:41 PM CST
That's actually a great thought. Never put it together in my mind that way, but maybe Peter Jackson was telling his critics (few and far between though they may be) to suck on his big toe. (Syreh, I don't know you, but I had to steal your line. If you read this, sorry.)

-Kaelh
Re: random thought 01/07/2003 01:31 AM CST
>>(Syreh, I don't know you, but I had to steal your line. If you read this, sorry.)

laughs

*glances at Syreh*

*glances back at you*

you can have her toe, she keeps kickin Marauders with it...chuckles...

I enjoyed the movie, especially Legalos (sp) I remember readin the books 20 years ago, and loved it than (well, it feels like 20 years ago)...yeah there were things that were different...but its a movie...and a great movie at that...I just got back from watching it a 3rd time...blushes....

Favorite Parts:

Dwarf, " Legalos! I got two! Two down! "

Legalos ,shooting the orcs in order, " Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen! "

Dwarf, " Legalos! I'm up to 5! "

Legalos, " Twenty Two! "

I got a good laugh out of that scene....I could see a few folks in DR playing that one...chuckles.....

And my favorite part of the movie was Legalos and the horse...wobbles I sat back sittin there tugging on my friends shirt the first time goin...

"Holy (censured) did you see that! I can't believe he did that! That was (censured) awesome! Quick, who's got the remote! I want to see it again in slow motion! "

~Dalkin~
Re: random thought 01/07/2003 05:05 AM CST
>>Favorite Parts:

"Gimli, lower your axe!"

Gimli: *looks around as if expecting to get his hands eaten for his oversight and quickly brings the axe down*

-Kaelh
Re: random thought 01/07/2003 06:35 AM CST
>>Just watched it for a second time... and something I found interesting was the speech sam gave at the end while they were recovering from the ring wraith almost getting them.. He talks about how he knows they aren't supposed to be there.. but they are.. so they have to deal with it..

DR-Surlin, the speach Sam gives at the end was originally given by Aragorn (in the book) in reply to Eomer's question: "How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

It works fine in the movie, but the way Tolkien envisioned hobbits, they didn't have lofty philosophical views of things such as this. This was much more in step with a Numenorean or Elf view point.

Aragorn replies: "As he has ever judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear, not are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

An so on...

Ken/Gidske
Re: random thought 01/07/2003 03:09 PM CST
Yes, I know that speech was originally given earlier in the books by Aragorn, but, it was the way they placed it in the movie, especially with the changes that made me think about it having a very subtle double (or maybe even triple?) meaning. :)

Sulrin

ps. I enjoyed the article someone posted the link for as well :) but that is not what made me think of this.
Re: random thought 01/08/2003 06:25 AM CST
DR-Sulrin, I wasn't sure if you had read the link I had posted for it. I didn't mean to imply anything from this, just the movie gives the Hobbits a bit more wisdom in worldly matters than I felt necessary, and just wanted to place the character credit accurately.

Hobbits didn't know anything of events outside of the Shire. The surely didn't understand the motivations of men and elves, but just the same, they overcome odds which these same wise races thought impossible.

Ken/Gidske