Michter's USA rye #1
Michter's sour mash rye
High West Double Rye
Buffalo Trace bourbon
Bulleit bourbon
Bulleit rye
Bernheim's wheat bourbon

Food:

Americans need to get out of their comfort zone in general. Try to find Sichuan restaurants in your area and order things like...

pork tripe with hot pepper, or beef trip
pork intestine
braised beef tendon
pork trotters

Etc.
Re: "Eat, Drink" 07/22/2018 08:42 AM CDT
>pork tripe with hot pepper, or beef trip
pork intestine
braised beef tendon
pork trotters

We already have hot dogs bruh

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: "Eat, Drink" 07/22/2018 09:26 AM CDT

>>Americans need to get out of their comfort zone in general. Try to find Sichuan restaurants in your area and order things like...

People watch one season of a food show on Netflix and all of a sudden they're globetrotting food critics, jeez.
Re: "Eat, Drink" 07/22/2018 10:49 AM CDT
I'm up for eating almost anything, but I specifically draw the line at tripe, intestines, and similar.

I'm quite happy you've found something you like, but your desire for X doesn't mean I'm a sad panda because I don't share it. Also, being incredibly condescending and insulting doesn't help your cause.

I've had tendon. It was OK, bland and chewy. Wasn't offensive or interesting. I'm from the deep south, so I've had liver, gizzard, chitlins, and all sorts of parts, before and after I knew what they were. No thanks.

I've had Lengua and other 'unlabeled' cow bits too, and again, the flavor wasn't interesting and the texture was off-putting.

I've even had Nepal-style chicken-necks. It's just not my thing.

Personally I'm more a fan of vegetarian cuisine, especially with meat alternatives like paneer and tofu. The American diet is super meat heavy, so I like to experiment with the things I actually need, not just 'more meat'.

I do want to find a place that does good bone/marrow, it's supposed to have a great flavor and I'm too lazy to do it at home right now.
Re: "Eat, Drink" 07/22/2018 01:45 PM CDT
I lived in Vietnam in the '90s and not in the cities. I'll stick with steak and potatoes now that I'm home. I'm not sure it's "bragging rights" to say I've eaten dog, pig lungs, cobra hearts, etc. I need a scotch to was the thought of the taste outta my mouth.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: "Eat, Drink" 07/22/2018 02:28 PM CDT
It is good to like what you like.

It can be good to share what you like with other folks.

Please do remember that we're all on friendlyish terms here.

:)

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: "Eat, Drink" 07/22/2018 08:33 PM CDT
Pineapple and mushroom pizza. It doesn't get any better.

Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, the air and you. Langston Hughes
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/summer
Re: "Eat, Drink" 07/24/2018 11:37 AM CDT
All the pig from the honk to the tail = a southern (usually) delicacy.. scrapple
the northern/hawaiian version?? Spam meat product.

I love spam but cant stand scrapple, I think its the seasoning.

Being trained in culinary arts, having chefs who used to work for "fancy" restaurants, I've had to try all sort of internal meats. Also when I was stationed I had to try different things from my normal 70s northern USA upbringing, when in England I even had the "English breakfast" with blood sausage, & I've had black pudding along with haggis.

Thank you but I'll pass on them, like another poster said give me red meat like steaks, ribs, burgers & mash taters. Various sausages, brats, italian, irish bangers, all good.

Due to health issues I have now, I have to be aware of some things I eat, so no more sushi with raw fish, blood sausages, etc. And for me, no blood donation due to mad cow exposure issues.

Anyways, I'll take my old bland type foods, & look at it this way.. eat what you want that makes you happy, that you enjoy, but lay off telling others what they should eat.

And as a by, the "you's" in this are general, not specifically pointing at the OP or anyone after that post. (smile)
Re: "Eat, Drink" 07/24/2018 01:40 PM CDT
Blood sausage, or blut wurst, as my grandmother would call it, doesn't taste bad, a little too grainy compared to most sausages. I thought the one I tried was a little too salty but I suppose it depends on how it's made. My grandmother used to feed it to a guy who loved it until he found out what it was made from, then he wouldn't eat it any more.

Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, the air and you. Langston Hughes
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/summer
Re: "Eat, Drink" 07/24/2018 09:23 PM CDT
I'm American and I've eaten guinea pig, bee larvae, snails, duck feet, haggis, black pudding (aka blood sausage), lutefisk, and I'd be willing to try plenty more. Take that data point for what you will.

I think restaurants here are generally not that adventurous because it's too risky for them, and Americans like to travel so we often get our adventure by doing that.

- Navesi
Re: "Eat, Drink" 08/01/2018 11:52 AM CDT
>I think restaurants here are generally not that adventurous because it's too risky for them, and Americans like to travel so we often get our adventure by doing that.

Also, be wary of ordering the 1 "weird" thing on the menu. It may not be very good because it is an uncommon item. I recently had duck at what was essentially a burger place, and the duck was quite dry and freezer-burned. Not shocking, but I can't seem to help myself.
Re: "Eat, Drink" 08/01/2018 10:25 PM CDT
>Also, be wary of ordering the 1 "weird" thing on the menu. It may not be very good because it is an uncommon item. I recently had duck at what was essentially a burger place, and the duck was quite dry and freezer-burned. Not shocking, but I can't seem to help myself.

I have this...thing...where I like to order vegetarian options at non-veg places. It's dumb.

Went to shake shack last week, and I got the beet-burger. Was pretty good. Was it as good as a regular burger? Dunno, haven't been back.
Re: "Eat, Drink" 08/02/2018 04:10 AM CDT
My personal favorite is finding the weirdest thing possible but restricting it to the section labeled "chef's specialties."

I've never had a dish that was presented or prepared bad, but I've learned some things about myself and my tastes.