Favorite Vegetarian Indian Recipes 07/17/2009 01:37 PM CDT
We've been trying to cook at home more lately, but I really miss Indian food!

So far I've made this chana masala which I think is pretty damn tasty (and cheap!), but I'd be interested to hear your favorite vegetarian Indian recipes. I've had varying success trying random internet recipes. Things that are pluses: not-too-exotic ingredients and reasonably easy of preparation. (I don't mind going all-out for company, but I find that food that takes forever to cook is almost too exhausting to enjoy when it's finally done.)

Anyway, here's the chana masala recipe:

Serves 4
1 tbsp olive oil or ghee
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 small red onion, diced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 15 oz can garbanzo beans
1/2 tsp salt
juice of 1 lemon
a few sprigs cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
1. In a large wok or skillet, heat olive oil or ghee at medium high heat. Add turmeric.
2. Cook onion until golden brown and fragrant, about five minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, garam masala, ground coriander and cumin. Cook for another seven minutes, and stir to form a nice paste. You might start to see the oil separate.
4. Add garbanzo beans (with reserved water). Reduce heat to medium and cook for another ten minutes or so. Should form a nice sauce. Remove from heat.
5. Add salt and lemon juice. Adjust as necessary.
6. Serve on plate with basmati rice. Add cilantro as garnish.

I prefer to be really liberal with the lemon juice, and am sometimes tempted to add more spices. For some reason this dish seems to improve after a day or two in the fridge, on a bed of rice. This may not be knock-your-socks-off amazing, or quite as good as what you can get at a restaurant, but it's definitely satisfying and worth the time, I think.

Recipe from here, originally: http://www.riceoflife.com/2009/03/recipe-chana-masala.html

-- Player of Szrael --

Come to the first Empath Union Meeting -- Sunday July 19th at 7PM EST, to be held on the Jolly Roger ship, which will be moored to the Skirr dock in Crossing.
Re: Favorite Vegetarian Indian Recipes 07/20/2009 04:08 PM CDT
I'm a huge fan of Indian food. I will be trying this out in the near future. Thank you for sharing.

- Terra
Re: Favorite Vegetarian Indian Recipes 07/21/2009 12:19 PM CDT
I grew up on Indian food :) There's a lot of ways to make it less labor intensive for cooking at home, the most convenient options tend to require an Indian grocer around though (curry pastes are a huuuge timesaver and make great marinades for meats and tofu too).

That said, I don't use those too often, in the interest of not consuming vasts quantities of oil and salt, and I'll usually give up a little convenience (and taste D':) for making healthier versions of Indian dishes.

Chana masala is definitely a great staple though, that looks like a really good recipe! Here's a couple others (mostly South Indian):

Spinach pulisherri

Microwave to thaw a cup of frozen chopped spinach (If using fresh spinach, simply chop and steam until slightly wilted). Let it cool. Beat a cup of plain yogurt with salt and pepper and a little sugar (to taste).
Mix the two (Blend together for creamier texture). Enjoy with rice or chappathi or bread.

Turmeric Potatoes (My favorite)

Boil whole red potatoes (approx 2 cups) until a knife can be inserted easily. Let cool, dice into small pieces. Mix with 1 Tbsp turmeric and 1 1/2 tsp salt (can add more or less salt depending on preference, and garlic powder or black pepper also may be mixed in - small quantities).
Heat 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil in a nonstick pan, again depending on your preference. When hot, add the potatoes. Stir once, to coat potatoes in oil, then stir very occasionally (the less you stir, the crispier they will be). Add 1 tsp cayenne chilli powder and toss, if desired. Serve as a side dish or alone with rice and plain yogurt.

I'm not a huge fan of this one, but people like it, so...
Tomoto Rasam (Mullagu Thanny/Mulligatawny Soup)

Tomatoes, chopped - 3 cups
Fennel seeds - half teaspoon
cumin seeds - half teaspoon
crushed black pepper - 1/4 tsp
salt, olive oil
onions, chopped - half cup
coriander or curry leaves, chopped - 2 Tablespoons
Heat tomatoes with 2 cups water in a large saucepan. When the tomatoes are soft and bubbling, add fennel seeds, cumin and black pepper along with salt. Heat oil in a separate pan and saute onion. Add to the boiling soup. Remove from heat, garnish with coriander/curry leaves and serve warm.

non veg, but a good recipe, just in case:
Chicken Curry

Curry paste - 1 Tablespoon
Chicken - 2 cups (chopped, I use boneless skinless thigh)
plain yogurt - half cup
oil - 1 Tablespoon
Onions, chopped - 1 cup
Ginger/Garlic, crushed or thinly chopped - 1 tsp each
Tomato - 1 large, chopped
coconut milk or halfandhalf (heavy cream for company, lol) - 1/4 cup
salt, cilantro - as needed
Marinate the chicken in yogurt, salt and curry paste (the longer the better, but it's not going to taste awful if you don't have time... a few hours in the fridge is great).
Heat oil in large pot, saute onions until browned. Add chopped tomatoes and stir until dry. Add the chicken along with the marinade and keep stirring for a few minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until chicken is done, cooked all the way through. Add some fresh cilantro, allow to simmer one more minute and serve warm with rice or roti.