Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/07/2009 09:47 AM CDT
Great little fruit dip with a bit of a kick, super easy to make too:

1 package Jell-O Instant vanilla pudding
~1/2 cup milk
~1/2 cup amaretto (or more or less as you wish)
8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed, think Cool Whip that's been in the fridge, not the freezer. Not so thawed that it's liquid.

Mix Jell-O, milk and amaretto in a mixer until smooth. Mix in whipped topping. Chill in fridge for at least 1 hour.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/07/2009 01:01 PM CDT
I wish I could smell amaretto now without feeling nauseated, because this sounds pretty delicious.

Rev. Reene

"When a thing seals itself against its own destruction, it merely dies a different death. All things have a common ground in decay. War is necessary. Death is necessary. Decay is necessary."
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/07/2009 01:20 PM CDT
The vanilla pudding smell pretty well over powers the amaretto smell IIRC. But you can still taste it. You could also substitutue another liqueur or cordial and still come out with something good (maybe better depending on your tastes.) That's the best part of cooking. Experimentation.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/07/2009 03:21 PM CDT
Experimentation.

This word s used often at our dinner table and is not always good. I suggest lets order out often.

I admire good cooks.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/07/2009 07:19 PM CDT
>>I wish I could smell amaretto now without feeling nauseated, because this sounds pretty delicious.

I'll bet Gran Marnier would be great as a substitute. Or as I call it, Grand Mariner.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/07/2009 09:36 PM CDT
>I'll bet Gran Marnier would be great as a substitute. Or as I call it, Grand Mariner.

Lol, I love it when people say that. "Coin True" is always great, as are the dozens of Curacao pronunciations that I can't even type phonetically.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/08/2009 05:04 AM CDT
Gran Marnier

Yum! Just yum. I think I will stroll over and pour myself a treat.

Miv
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/08/2009 02:01 PM CDT
>>I admire good cooks.

It has been said (though I cannot remember by whom, Alton Brown quotes it in one of his cookbooks) that the trick to cooking well is knowing how to control these three things: heat, water, and salt.

Besides that, you can toss just about anything together and it will come out well. I usually "barely" salt food, people can add more to taste, but you sure can't remove it. Unless you're cooking liver. It's pretty much a requirement for good liver to pre-salt and let it sit for a while.

Baking on the other hand, is quite different. If you're not specific those muffins will definitely fail.

I love cooking though, and I have a few recipes I wouldn't mind sharing (like my deboned chicken stuffed with zucchini, parmesan, and lemon juice).
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/09/2009 10:32 PM CDT
You seriously need to come to my house for dinner!

Miv
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/13/2009 01:33 AM CDT
Please share the boneless stuffed chicken recipe! I love to cook and experiment all the time. And chicken with zuchini... sounds yummy!

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." --Mark Twain
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/16/2009 05:34 PM CDT
Lets see. I always make it from memory, so..

Things you need: 1 whole chicken, salt and pepper, olive oil, parmesan cheese, a good sized zucchini (or two if it's a huge chicken), and a couple of lemons.

I usually start by deboning the chicken completely. If you don't know how you can find a lot of good guides online.

Cut a zucchini into slices, 1/3 - 1/4th of an inch thick.

I then lay the chicken out flat, skin down, and season with salt and pepper.

Take the parmesan and sprinkle it on the chicken. Add a layer of zucchini. Cut a lemon in half and squeeze some juice over it. Layer with more parmesan and zucchini until you're either out or the chicken won't close. (hehe) Sometimes I drizzle olive oil over it.

Close the chicken and seal it up (I've been using bamboo skewers, but I've also sewn it shut with thread or used toothpicks, I'm sure that you could tie it like a roast as well).

I put the chicken in a pan, breast side up. Put a little olive oil on and rub it in. Salt and pepper again, and then a little parmesan. Take the remaining lemon and squeeze them over the chicken and put the halves in the pan.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about an hour (I don't have a thermometer so I just wait until I know it's done). Remove the foil and bake until the top browns nicely.

It can be a little messy, but it's delicious.
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/16/2009 06:21 PM CDT
Oooh, Yum!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/16/2009 10:58 PM CDT
>>I put the chicken in a pan, breast side up.

Generally, it's best to put a bird in breast side down for the bulk of the cooking as it makes for much more tender cuts. Flip it at the end to brown it a bit if that matters to you. I can't stand skin personally, so I don't even bother flipping it breast side up. With a turkey, flip it with 45 minutes to an hour left to go; with a chicken, maybe 10-15 minutes before it's done.

Also, be sure to let it sit for at least 15 minutes before cutting to allow for carry-over cooking and re-absorption of liquids throughout the meat.

All that being said, I like dry better than moist when it comes to poultry breast, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

Can't wait to try out your recipe!

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/16/2009 11:12 PM CDT
<,I like dry better than moist when it comes to poultry breast, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

That makes two of us.
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/17/2009 01:19 AM CDT
I actually prefer most meat dryer than most. Pork is my general exception. I'd make most 'artisan' burger fans cry.

Garlic, black pepper, egg wash, bacon, ketchup and Arizona Gunslinger. Now that's a burger (and slightly off-topic. Heh)!

I'll have to try the fruit dip. :)

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/17/2009 09:46 PM CDT
>>Generally, it's best to put a bird in breast side down for the bulk of the cooking as it makes for much more tender cuts.

In my experience Brining 8-12 hrs makes the most spectacularly moist birds + it imparts flavor throughout the meat

-Denz

It isn't a troll thread because we don't agree with you. A troll is when someone posts something (usually offensive) just to get a reaction from people - Copernicus
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/18/2009 09:45 AM CDT
>>In my experience Brining 8-12 hrs makes the most spectacularly moist birds + it imparts flavor throughout the meat

Definitely. I'm just normally too lazy to do it.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/18/2009 09:48 AM CDT
I tried brining one year for Thanksgiving and yes, the turkey definitely was tasty. The experience itself, though, was a bit more ... complex, as I outlined at the time on my old blog:

http://nerdcountry.blogspot.com/2006/11/whos-thanksgiving-turkey-now-bubba-geek.html

The next year I did it a lot better. It's a good way to make a moist turkey. Cooking it upside down in the overn also helps.
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/18/2009 08:17 PM CDT
While I admit I love cooking - I screwed up last year - I made it too well - It was such a hit my family wants me to attempt a Tur-Duc-ken this year.

-Denz

It isn't a troll thread because we don't agree with you. A troll is when someone posts something (usually offensive) just to get a reaction from people - Copernicus
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/18/2009 09:22 PM CDT
>>While I admit I love cooking - I screwed up last year - I made it too well - It was such a hit my family wants me to attempt a Tur-Duc-ken this year.

My buddy has made a couple of turduckens now. If you want any tips or pointers, let me know and I'll check with him and get back to you. Apparently they've come out really well.

He skips the oyster stuffing, though, and I can't blame him. Whomever first thought that oysters needed to be added to the beauty that is stuffing needs to be slapped heartily. Instead I think he does an andouille sausage stuffing (much better).

Be prepared for an all-day process, though. It's a pain to prepare, as I understand it.

Maybe fake an injury?

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/19/2009 03:45 PM CDT
My mom always does oyster stuffing for thanksgiving. My boyfriend hates it, so I just make some for myself. :D

A turkey is too big for the two of us anyway, I think we'll be sticking to ducks (oh I could eat like a million ducks).
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/20/2009 12:33 PM CDT
Yeah I'm definately skipping the oyster stuffing (It would kill me literally)

I have my own recipe for a Wild Rice, Andouille & Apple Stuffing (that I make outside the bird)
Stuffing that came from inside a bird is like eating spoonfuls of salmonella. I'll pass!

-Denz

Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/20/2009 12:59 PM CDT
Gang,

This is getting way off topic. Kindly bring the discussion back to the fruit dip, or end it.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Re: Amaretto Fruit Dip 06/20/2009 07:09 PM CDT
>>Stuffing that came from inside a bird is like eating spoonfuls of salmonella. I'll pass!

I just overcook birds when I make them.

Steak on the other hand, must be bloody.