Winter Cider-Toddy 12/18/2007 09:27 PM CST
Easy recipe and very good for a cold holiday night or any other winter time.

Okay first of all start heating your apple cider on the stove. Don't let it boil but get it to a simmer. Boiling seems to ruin the taste. Also, try to use organic ciders. The preservatives in plain store bought really ruin the flavors.

Next, buy some cinnimon graham crackers from walmart. They're like cents. Crumble them up and mix half of the crumbs with a stick of softened butter. Don't use margarine it's icky and destroys the the mixture.

Once you pour the cider into your cup add in a scoop of the graham cracker/butter mixture. A table spoon is appropiate and makes the cider very rich and flavorfull. Add a shot of whatever whiskey you prefer though I find that brandy is very good as well. Top with whip cream and sprinkle graham crackers over the whip cream and BAM you have a great holiday drink.

This drink is wonderful without the alcohol as well and of course if you drink please be safe and don't drink and drive. This ranger does not condone the underage use of alcohol as well.
Re: Winter Cider-Toddy 12/19/2007 03:38 AM CST
Neat! I will be sharing this will all my Swedish friends who are pushing glogg on me.

For those who are uneducated in scandinavian, glogg is a Swedish version on mulled wine. Here's my favorite recipie:

Swedish Glogg
Makes about 1 gallon
1.5 litre bottle of inexpensive dry red wine
1.5 litre bottle of inexpensive American port
1 bottle of inexpensive brandy or aquavit
There is no need to invest in expensive wine or brandy because the spices are going to preempt any innate complexity of a fine wine, but don't use anything too cheap. (i.e. bum wines need not apply)
10 inches of stick cinnamon
1 Tablespoon cardamom seeds (if you can only find pods just pop open the pods to get the seeds or leave it out if you have to)
2 dozen whole cloves
Peel of one orange
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup blanched almonds
2 cups sugar
Garnish with the peel of another orange

Assembly
Pour the red wine and port into a covered stainless steel or porcelain kettle. (Do not use an aluminum or copper pot since these metals interact chemically with the wine and brandy and impart a metallic taste.) Add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, orange peel, raisins, and almonds. Warm gently, but do not boil as it will burn off the alcohol.

Put the sugar in a pan and soak it with half the bottle of brandy. Warm the sugar and brandy slurry over a low flame. The sugar will melt and bubble until it becomes a clear golden syrup of caramelized sugar. If you wish, you can speed up the process a bit and create quite a show by flaming the brandy. Flaming will create a 2 foot high blue flame, so be sure there is nothing above the stove that can catch on fire (but it is impressive and fun).

Add the caramelized sugar to the spiced wine mix. Cover and let it mull for an hour. Just before serving, strain to remove the spices, and add brandy to taste (about 1/2 pint). You can serve it immediately, or let it age for a month or two. If you are going to age it, make sure the bottle is filled as high as possible and sealed tight.

To serve glogg, warm it gently over a low flame or in a crockpot, and serve it in a mug. Garnish it with a fresh orange peel twisted over the mug to release the oils, rainsins, and almonds.

You can easily tailor the recipe to your own tastes by changing the sweetness, potency, or other ingredients. Try brown sugar if you wish. Or Southern Comfort instead of brandy. The orange peel garnish, however, is essential to the fragrance.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Winter Cider-Toddy 12/20/2007 01:18 PM CST
I wanna try that glogg.... and I dug out a recipe (that makes a manageable amount) for Russian Tea.

1 c. instant tea
1 c. Tang
1 pkg. Lemonade mix
1 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. cloves

Mix together and store in a covered container. Use 2 t. mixture in 1 c. hot water.

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." --Mark Twain
Re: Winter Cider-Toddy 12/20/2007 03:21 PM CST
Russian Tea sound nummy too

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-Z
Re: Winter Cider-Toddy 12/20/2007 04:27 PM CST
Okay, this is the non-instant version of Russian Tea:

Ingredients:

1 gallon water
15 whole cloves
6 cinnamon sticks
4 tea bags
2 cups Orange juice
2 cups Pineapple juice
1 cup Lemon juice
2 cups Sugar

Directions:
In a large pot, boil water with cloves and cinnamon rapidly for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, cover, and add 4 tea bags, and let "steep" for at least 4
hours. (we like to let it steep overnight).

After "steeping" is complete, in another pan combine juices and sugar. Heat
gently, stirring to melt and mix sugar. Drain "solids" from tea mixture.

Combine all together and heat to enjoy.

~Eoworfinia~
Dartenian fades into view.
A horde of Lawrence Welk fans decend on the area.
Dartenian whimpers softly.
Re: Winter Cider-Toddy 12/21/2007 03:55 AM CST
<<Okay, this is the non-instant version of Russian Tea:

But! But! That has no Tang!

Honestly, I was wondering how else to make it. I had a feeling I would have a hard time finding Tang in Europe (even though that was the part that caught my eye and taste buds the most).

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-Z
Re: Winter Cider-Toddy 12/21/2007 07:40 AM CST
The Tang version is always great to have around because its instant gratification. hehe Though, I have to say, it's just not the same taste as the long drawn out method. I think its the instant tea part that always makes me crinkle my nose for just a moment, then after reminding myself how long the other way would take, my nose quickly opens and enjoys the instant.

~Eoworfinia~
Dartenian fades into view.
A horde of Lawrence Welk fans decend on the area.
Dartenian whimpers softly.
Re: Winter Cider-Toddy 12/21/2007 12:48 PM CST
I'm looking forward to trying the actual steeping method myself because instant tea really isn't the same. On that note, however, you can substitute the instant, lemon-flavored and sweetened tea for the instant and the package of lemonade. --Arhia

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." --Mark Twain