May Potluck 05/22/2007 07:03 AM CDT
Ooooh ahhhh food chatter! Fun!

Once a month, GM Maece and I get together with some other co-workers and have a Sunday luncheon potluck. The location and host rotates, and whoever is the host is responsible for the main course, then the other courses are divided up so that one person is responsible for a starch dish, one for dessert, and everyone else some type of vegetable. Our one rule is that you have to do a recipe you've never done before, and the results over the past 7 months or so we've been doing this have been amazing.

This past Sunday, only four of us were able to attend so a couple of people made a couple of extra things and we ended up with more than enough food. Our menu had a lemon theme, it seems:

Whitefish with lemon
Artichokes with wasabi mayonaise
Greek lemon rice soup (omgsogood!)
Spinach salad with artichoke hearts (lemon garlic dressing)
Veatloaf (Vegetarian meatloaf)
Rosewater cake with marzipan garnishes

It's gotten to the point where we enjoy it so much we start plotting the following month's recipes several weeks in advance. Can't wait til June!

GM Reexa

Re: May Potluck 05/22/2007 10:22 AM CDT
mmmm, artichokes. (especially ones I did not have to peel! I hate those suckers sometimes)

and veatloaf loaf sounds yummy too.

What'd you make Reexa? And what's the recipe?

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: May Potluck 05/22/2007 03:05 PM CDT
<<What'd you make Reexa? And what's the recipe?>>

I was originally supposed to make asparagus and avocado wraps but because of my gimpy hand injury, I made the salad with artichoke hearts instead. Recipe is at home; I'll post it when I get there. Sorry guys, it is a modified Rachael Ray recipe (watches for the flying tomatoes).

The veatloaf was modified from an Emeril Lagasse recipe for regular meatloaf.

Trying to get the Greek lemon rice soup recipe too, to share. It was sooooooooooo good.

GM Reexa

Re: May Potluck 05/22/2007 08:55 PM CDT
>>Sorry guys, it is a modified Rachael Ray recipe

Every time someone says her name, a giant foot crushes one of the intertubes.

Please, think of the intertubes. Remember--when they're all gone, we'll have to use dump trucks to get our e-mail just like in the old days, and no one wants that.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: May Potluck 05/22/2007 10:49 PM CDT
say what you will about Rachel Ray but I've been using her recipes for quite some time and each one has been a big hit. Suprisingly Emeril's recipes have always been a dud for me.

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: May Potluck 05/22/2007 10:52 PM CDT
>>Suprisingly Emeril's recipes have always been a dud for me.

Same, for some reason, I think its his "essence" that he makes, I bought some of it to try with his recipes...and man..bleh...I ended up throwin them away. And them things aren't cheap compared to other spices out there.

~Dalkin~
Re: May Potluck--Salad recipe 05/22/2007 10:55 PM CDT
I agree Denz. She helped me get interested in cooking in the first place, so I certainly thank her for that.

Ok! For those interested, here was the salad recipe:

Spinach and Artichoke Salad

3/4 pound, 4 to 5 cups, baby spinach, packed
2 (15-ounce) cans artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 to 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
A handful shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano

Combine spinach and artichokes. Place garlic, lemon zest and juice in small dish and add vinegar. Let it stand 5 minutes then whisk in extra-virgin olive oil. Pour oil and vinegar dressing over salad and toss to combine. Season the salad with salt and pepper, to your taste. Top the salad with cheese then serve.

Substitutions and modifications: For our potluck, I ended up using less lemon zest, a bit more lemon juice and more garlic. I also replaced the Parmigiano with a four cheese blend (which included Parmigiano Reggiano, but some other cheeses as well). The result smelled and tasted a little bit like Caesar dressing without the anchovy. And the leftovers the next day were even better since they'd had more time to marinate in the dressing...I added some grilled chicken breast and some black olives to it and it made for a really good lunch by itself.

GM Reexa

Re: May Potluck 05/23/2007 08:08 AM CDT
>>Same, for some reason, I think its his "essence" that he makes, I bought some of it to try with his recipes...and man..bleh...I ended up throwin them away. And them things aren't cheap compared to other spices out there.

Paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano. Heavy on the paprika, garlic, and salt. Nothing special--just a basic rub. And if you're not a fan of paprika, it's definitely a bit much.

From what I have observed, the trick to cooking Emeril's recipes seems to be to add more butter than what he calls for. A lot more. If you watch him cook, you'll notice that when he says "one or two tablespoons" he puts in about 6-8. He also sneaks some in while he banters with the audience/band. Watch closely next time. I don't really cook any of his recipes since they're 90% seafood, but that seems to be the trick.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: May Potluck 05/23/2007 08:44 AM CDT
Wait where's the brown sugar ? and plain salt ? Ordinary table salt just wont do ... sea salt is fine but for a true rub stick with kosher salt.

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: May Potluck 05/23/2007 09:30 AM CDT
>>Wait where's the brown sugar ? and plain salt ? Ordinary table salt just wont do ... sea salt is fine but for a true rub stick with kosher salt.

Agreed. I meant it was more of a base for a basic rub, like one of those generic steak seasoning mixes you'd buy in the store.

On another note, I just had the craziest daydream for Friday breakfast here at work. Sometimes I like to cook some quick stuff on Fridays just to "improve employee morale" (read: I LIKE FOOD). Here's my wacky plan for Friday.

Since I've got a small village's worth of mashed potato mix, I started ruminating this morning on what I could cook with it here at work. We haven't got much in the way of a kitchen, but we have a toaster oven, a microwave, hot water, and a waffle iron, which is enough to do a lot of things. Here's what I came up with:

Mike's Wacky Friday Breakfast Latke Waffle Things of Madness:

Make a bunch of mashed potato mix.
Chop some white onion. Mix it in.
Cook some bacon. Mix it in.
Add some shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Scramble some eggs. Cook. Chop and mix them in.
Dash of salt, garlic powder, black pepper.
Cook in waffle iron.
Provide syrup and gravy, let people pick their poison.

So far all the employees are down with my plan. I can't wait.

~Mike/player of Gulphphunger
Re: May Potluck 05/23/2007 09:41 AM CDT
>>a true rub stick with kosher salt.

Yeah, Alton Brown got me hooked on Kosher salt. Man that stuff is great. I've never known food to have the kind of tastes they do, till I used it. All I can say is wow. I've been using nothing but Kosher salt since I started watching him nearly 3 years ago.

>>Paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano. Heavy on the paprika, garlic, and salt. Nothing special--just a basic rub. And if you're not a fan of paprika, it's definitely a bit much.

He's got to be using a LOT of paprika than. I don't mind some of it on my home made deviled eggs, and some paprika on other items as a slight texture/visual thing. But its not something I use in my every day spices to cook with.

>>From what I have observed, the trick to cooking Emeril's recipes seems to be to add more butter than what he calls for. A lot more. If you watch him cook, you'll notice that when he says "one or two tablespoons" he puts in about 6-8. He also sneaks some in while he banters with the audience/band. Watch closely next time. I don't really cook any of his recipes since they're 90% seafood, but that seems to be the trick.

I put my home made garlic butter in everything. I have to. But thats me. ::chuckles:: Everything from green beans to whole K corn (stripped off the cob of course), to peas. heh, umm...I've rambled enough I think..back to the game!

~Dalkin~
Re: May Potluck 05/23/2007 09:50 AM CDT
>>I put my home made garlic butter in everything.

As well you should!

>>He's got to be using a LOT of paprika than.

Yeah, from what I can tell that and salt are the main ingredients by far.

>>I don't mind some of it on my home made deviled eggs, and some paprika on other items as a slight texture/visual thing. But its not something I use in my every day spices to cook with.

I agree. I know there's several different kinds and they're supposedly great and all that, but it's just something I never really got into. Maybe I've just never had really good paprika. I haven't shut the book on it yet, but I'm not exactly going to go spend a lot of money on it to experiment.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: May Potluck 05/23/2007 01:03 PM CDT
<<And them things aren't cheap compared to other spices out there.>>

It's much cheaper to make yourself with bulk spices.

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Solomon

"Experience will come, it's not a race or anything. The ones who kill themselves to get to the finish are the ones who tire out quickly."

GM[Anti-ESP] Pormithius just killed Caelumia's ESP!