Going fishing 05/18/2007 08:41 AM CDT
Greets. I've mostly done deep-sea fishing, but this weekend I'm going camping at Point Lookout in southern Maryland. The ladyfriend and I just strung our fishing poles, and we intend to see what we can catch. I hear reports of rockfish (striped bass), croaker, and supposedly some trout or blues. So, since I hardly ever eat fish and I have no idea what we'll actually be catching, anyone have any good recipes? Keep in mind, we're not bringing down the whole kitchen, but we'll likely have:

sea salt
pepper
garlic bulb
green beans (frozen)
spinach (frozen)
random assortment of canned vegetables/veggie soup
olive oil
butter
1-2 lemons
4 oranges
3 apples (yellow)
I think we've got an onion or two
fresh lemon thyme (thank you, Mr. only herb in the garden to survive the winter)
Old Bay (I mean, we're on the bloody Chesapeake. You have to.)
option to bring a couple more spices (name it, we've probably got it except for marjoram and saffron).
Some kind of crumbly stuff (crackers or chips)
mashed potato mix

Heat source: either campfire (preferred, but I don't know how their fire rings are set up) or propane camp stove
Cooking things: we should have at least one pot and one frying pan.

So with that list and the option for 2-3 more things, what would you make? My inclination would be to go simple and grill or fry with the thyme, salt, pepper, and oil, perhaps with a thin crust of whatever crumblies we bring with us. Especially since (assuming we catch something) we'll probably be eating it within a couple of hours. However, I'm open to anything, and anyone who has had more seafood cooking experience would surely be able to whip up something even better. Furthermore, while it's unlikely we'll catch anything, we are bringing down a crab line and buying some chicken necks just in case. So if you have a recipe that can use some crab meat, feel free to toss that in.

Any recipes posted after 1pm EST will have to be considered another day, because that's when I'm hitting the eject button on my seat at work.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Going fishing 05/18/2007 10:07 AM CDT
Personally I like stripers with very little on them. It's a white fish and pretty delicate so it doesn't take a lot to overwhelm the flavor of the fish. I'd say filet it and just use the salt and pepper and cook it in oil.

Bluefish, on the other hand, are very oily and have a strong fishy taste. I'd say cook them with the lemon and garlic (maybe oranges as well). Just make sure you put them on ice shortly after you catch them.

Can't really help you with the croaker (weakfish?) or trout (I'm assuming sea trout) since I haven't done much cooking with those.

Sounds like it'll be a great time, enjoy!

~Thilan
Re: Going fishing 05/18/2007 10:08 AM CDT
This is just something off the top of my head with a quick glance at your ingredients

You will need toothpicks or butchers twine for this recipe.

1. Defrost Spinach and drain (room temp works best for this)
2. Filet fish being careful to use a sharp flexible knife. Start by the tail and slowly work the knife towards the head while pulling the filet away. You want to make sure you are not using a sawing motion as it tends to tear and snag the flesh instead let the gentle pulling do the work. "hence the sharp knife"
3. Once fileted sprinkle liberally with sea salt and cracked pepepr and set aside.
Dice 4 cloves garlic and saute over medium heat for 2 mins in 1 Tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter.
4. Remove pan from heat and added spinash tossing till mixture is heated through and thouroughly coated. Set aside to cool for about 5 -10 minutes. (DO NOT CLEAN THE PAN or DISCARD OIL!!!!)
5. lay you filets flat and spoon a small amount of the spinach onto the filets and wrap them into tres foils (pinwheels) and secure with a toothpick.
6. Heat the oil in the pan again over medium heat once hot add the filets and cook for 3 - 5 mins on per side (different fish have differant textures and flesh colors - cook times vary so eyebal it)

Remove from pan serve with lemon wedge (to spritz over pinwheel) and serve with remaining spinach.

Bon Apetit!

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: Going fishing 05/18/2007 10:27 AM CDT
>>Bluefish, on the other hand, are very oily and have a strong fishy taste.

Thanks for the heads up. I probably won't be eating this if we catch it. I generally don't eat seafood because anything that actually tastes fishy normally elicits a...let's call it an "immediate unpleasant reaction."

Love the pinwheels idea, Denz. And I think we have some feta cheese in the fridge at home; we could bring that, too. Even if we don't catch fish, I'll just throw it in with the garlic and spinach.

I'm not worried about the fileting; the lady friend is somewhat proficient with such things. I'm leaving that and the scaling to her. She enjoys it, I don't. Win-win. I can get the fire going while she does her business.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Going fishing 05/18/2007 11:23 AM CDT
<<Personally I like stripers with very little on them.>>

Me too, but you spelled it wrong.

Solomon

"Experience will come, it's not a race or anything. The ones who kill themselves to get to the finish are the ones who tire out quickly."

GM[Anti-ESP] Pormithius just killed Caelumia's ESP!
Re: Going fishing 05/18/2007 11:40 AM CDT
>>Me too, but you spelled it wrong.

Stripahs then? I guess rockfish is more the Southern term, since I've never heard anyone here in the Northeast call them that. And how does a Missourian/Tennessean know the correct way to spell a marine fish? ;)

~Thilan
Re: Going fishing 05/18/2007 11:43 AM CDT
i thought he was talking about the kind that dance around poles, not the ones you catch with poles.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Going fishing 05/18/2007 11:55 AM CDT
>>i thought he was talking about the kind that dance around poles, not the ones you catch with poles.

Hey now! Hahaha, thanks Yamcer. I aer smurt.

~Thilan
Re: Going fishing 05/18/2007 12:43 PM CDT
I like pears.

Sometimes the occasional grape.

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: Going fishing 05/18/2007 11:08 PM CDT
Leave the mashed potato mix at home, man.

~Dulcinia

SEND[Solomon] Change your forums signature please?

[Jenealle] "The wedding was very emotional. Even the cake was in tiers."
Re: Going fishing 05/21/2007 08:27 AM CDT
>>Leave the mashed potato mix at home, man.

Why? Her aunt gave us a gigantic box of it, and we'd never eat it at home. It's either camping or donation box, and I don't think they take open boxes of food (even though they come in individually sealed bags).

Oh, and thanks for the fish recipes, but no luck this time. Of all the fishermen we talked to on the point, we met one guy who caught one croaker, and another guy apparently caught a croaker and a rockfish. Oh, and there was the dude near the end of the pier who busted out one of the overhead lights with a cast gone wrong. It just wasn't in the cards this weekend. Still had a great time camping, though, and now that we have our Bay sportfishing licenses, I'm sure we'll be out a lot more this summer.

Cheers,

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Going fishing 05/21/2007 09:46 AM CDT
Speaking of fishing If anyone in the NYC areas up I'm heading out on one of the local party boats for blues/stripers though blacks and flounder are still in season. I personally love to fish but don't eat fish so if anyone wants to join me for a couple hours of fishing or wants some fillets lemme know.

Denz

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: Going fishing 05/21/2007 09:46 AM CDT
ohhh and as for the potatoe's those flakes can actually be used to crust fish as well.

Denz