BBQ 05/05/2007 10:48 PM CDT
Since someone mentioned BBQ, I thought I'd bring this up. Should be a good culinary debate.

I've eaten Q from one coast to the other, and nothing beats the sweet smokiness that is the KC style, molasses based sauce. You can take your dry rubs, your tomato bases, your vinegar bases, your mustard bases, your horseradish bases and anything else you deign to call BBQ and throw them in the ocean, because they just can't cut it.

Comments?

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: BBQ 05/05/2007 11:15 PM CDT
It's too subjective to call, really, as it really depends on the cook and his secret ingredients. I've tasted stuff that really blows KC style out of the water, though in general that type of sauce doesn't.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: BBQ 05/06/2007 08:28 AM CDT
I don't think we're allowed to argue about religion on the boards.

That said.

You sir, are a heretic. ;)

Talk like that starts fights down here in GA.

I've never had anything west of Memphis so I can't comment on the KC stuff. But it's been my experience that the best BBQ is whatever you grew up eating. Folks tend to compare everything to that. I guess that's what makes it so personal.

I love all types of good BBQ, but my preference is for pork smothered in my grandfather's sauce.

-=Dirge. We've got vaults, a bank, a temple, and we're working on a dock!=-
Re: BBQ 05/06/2007 10:33 AM CDT
What's this with all of you and your sauce?

BBQ should be smoked or cooked over an open flame with little to no sauce included with the cooking.

If you insist, you may have a bowl or bottle of sauce set on the table, but if you put some on my serving, I will have to hurt you.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: BBQ 05/06/2007 12:26 PM CDT
>>BBQ should be smoked or cooked over an open flame with little to no sauce included with the cooking.

Really great BBQ uses superior cooking technique (slow-cooking, smoking, etc) and prodigious amounts of sauce. It doesn't even have to be traditional, since apparently those famous chicago-style dipped subs (they dip the entire sandwich in dipping sauce and then serve it to you, expecting/daring you to eat it without getting messy) are also considered BBQ.

Re: BBQ 05/06/2007 01:41 PM CDT
>>It doesn't even have to be traditional, since apparently those famous chicago-style dipped subs (they dip the entire sandwich in dipping sauce and then serve it to you, expecting/daring you to eat it without getting messy) are also considered BBQ.<<

There is no further proof necessary for evidence of the decline and fall of western civilization.

Yankees.

Sheesh.

Re: BBQ 05/06/2007 09:28 PM CDT
MMMMM BBQ. Did that tonight. Chicken, asparagas, and fresh green beans mixed with fresh mushrooms and onions. Everything done on the Q. I love my BBQ. Soon I shall do my salty chicken and possibly salty fish BBQ (also knowns as sea water BBQ). Yes, I will take several jugs over to the california coast and fill them up with the sea water, and I will use it to build my brine to soak my meats in. It is very good. You might get sick, but then again, if you have sissy stomach, you can't eat at my place anyhow.

Arctuniol

In an open world who needs Windows or Gates.
Re: BBQ 05/06/2007 11:24 PM CDT
I vote we have Simucon at Arct's place.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breezes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: BBQ 05/07/2007 04:15 AM CDT
>>I vote we have Simucon at Arct's place.

BarBeQon. ;)

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: BBQ 05/07/2007 08:36 AM CDT
>>What's this with all of you and your sauce?

Gonna have to agree with obseden here I prefer dry rubs over some sloppy mess loaded with sodium and not alot of flavor.

(And don't bother asking for my rub recipes cause I wouldn't even give em to my wife)

Slow cook em or smoke em with apple and hickory and moistened with spritz' of apple juice from a spray bottle. Now thats some damn good eats.

As for the NYC Big Apple BBQ. Its a collection of pit masters from around the US that come together for a good cause and to bring NY'rs some good 'cue. Secondly NYC has some damn fine 'Cue establishments which serve a variety of styles including Kansas City, St Louis, Elgan,TX - Houston, TX - Dallas, TX(yes theres a differance in TX cue') & Memphis.

As for restaraunts off the top of my head there's the Blue Smoke, Virgils and The Bait Shack. I'd suggest reading TimeOut NY's magazine which rates the city's top BBQ places annually.

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: BBQ 05/07/2007 11:23 AM CDT
>>What's this with all of you and your sauce?

BBQ should be smoked or cooked over an open flame with little to no sauce included with the cooking.

If you insist, you may have a bowl or bottle of sauce set on the table, but if you put some on my serving, I will have to hurt you.

-GM Obseden<<

and that sir, is how we know you live in Texas, where cowboys slaughter fresh animals, cut open their insides, tan it on a piece of wood, and eat it. Manly to be sure, but BBQ... it ain't :)

>assist request to bug Reexa for no good reason whatsoever
>assist position
You are number 1 in the premium assist queue.

SEND[Reexa] Boohiss!

>snicker
You snicker.
Re: BBQ 05/07/2007 01:53 PM CDT
If it hasn't been smoked over a (hickory) fire for 24 hours then it may be BBQ, if it has then it has a chance of becoming Barbeque.

Lexington Style is whole pork shoulder and includes a serving of a vinegar based sauce, Eastern Style has some other sauce, mustard based.

mfberg
Re: BBQ 05/07/2007 02:05 PM CDT
Lexington Style looks like regurgetated meat! Pull my BBQ and don't you dare chop it up with anything off that shoulder like Lexington does! Memphis BBQ is my style. Sauce on the table if you want in three varieties, sweet, mild or hot. I'll never forget the first time I had NC BBQ. I thought it was a sloppy Joe. <shiver> It has only been in the past 5 years I found a few places in Lexington that would give me something that wasn't all chopped up. Oh and sheeze, can we leave the slaw off the sandwich? I'll take Gridley's or Bozo's in TN for my BBQ!

~Eoworfinia~
Dartenian fades into view.
A horde of Lawrence Welk fans decend on the area.
Dartenian whimpers softly.
Re: BBQ 05/07/2007 02:26 PM CDT
Dreamland ( http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/ ) or Full Moon ( http://www.fullmoonbbq.com/ ) for me. Alabama never gets their due praise when it comes to the Barbeque game.

Fuquois
Re: BBQ 05/07/2007 06:28 PM CDT
Been to Bozo's in Memphis. While good, it still doesn't hold a candle to that sweet, smoky goodness from the heart of the country.

One place here in Nashville is close, and that is Jack's downtown. Their KC style sauce is as close to home as I can get here in middle TN.

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: BBQ 05/07/2007 09:13 PM CDT
Bozo's burned down when I was a kid. After they rebuilt the place, it just wasn't the same but I still go back there every year while visiting my relatives. And Bozo's isn't in Memphis really, its in Madison where my grandmom constantly tells me to slow down while driving through there. haha That is coming from a woman married to a man who speeds so much, he barely keeps a driver's license for more than a momth! Well, used to. He's almost 91 now so he's slowing down some. Yes, the man still drives and plows the fields.

~Eoworfinia~
Dartenian fades into view.
A horde of Lawrence Welk fans decend on the area.
Dartenian whimpers softly.
Re: BBQ 05/08/2007 09:49 AM CDT
<<Bozo's burned down when I was a kid. After they rebuilt the place,

So I just have to comment. Back home in Charlotte, they have a restaurant called Carolina's Country BBQ. It's ok in my opinion but my brother loves it. Anyway, they have two buildings, about a block away from one another. Every year or two, one of the buildings burns down. So they just salvage whatever they can and move next door. It amazes me how in the world they can afford fire insurance.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: BBQ 05/08/2007 09:49 PM CDT
>>So they just salvage whatever they can and move next door. It amazes me how in the world they can afford fire insurance.<<

The world will bend over backwards to those who control the BBQ. They probably let the Insurance guy and the Fire Marshall eat free.

Down South a good BBQ connection can still win elections for you.

Re: BBQ 05/09/2007 10:27 AM CDT
<<Down South a good BBQ connection can still win elections for you.

lol

Isn't really true anywhere? BBQ will take over the world. Too bad I don't eat it much anymore; stupid high fat. :sigh:

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
Re: BBQ 05/09/2007 10:30 AM CDT
>>Isn't really true anywhere? BBQ will take over the world. Too bad I don't eat it much anymore; stupid high fat. :sigh:<<

any possible intake of food can be counteracted simply by running enough... Proof? Have you ever seen a fat marathoner? Then have you ever seen them eat afterwords? and before... and during sometimes...

>assist position

SEND[Reexa] Boohiss!

>snicker
You snicker.
Re: BBQ 05/09/2007 05:16 PM CDT
>>Too bad I don't eat it much anymore; stupid high fat.

It's not the fat, it's the portioning scale used by the average BBQer. The ideal serving size for red meat is roughly the size and weight of a standard deck of playing cards, but when was the last time you had a steak that small? In some cases, even filet mignon are way too big.

Re: BBQ 05/10/2007 11:39 AM CDT
<<it's the portioning scale used by the average BBQer. The ideal serving size for red meat is roughly the size and weight of a standard deck of playing cards, but when was the last time you had a steak that small?

I agree with you completely. Both, fat/calorie content and portion size are the two main factors I use when deciding what I should be eating. Both play about the same role for me, and I have discovered that I am a volume eater. Give me as much as I can. So I tend to go for large amounts of low calorie, low fat foods.

My point about BBQ was that the parts of the pig and cow used to make BBQ are the ones that are the most high in fat because the long, slow cooking process breaks down the collagen in the meat. BBQ is one of those foods that I tend to eat only a little of. (again, someone please please please prove me wrong that I can whole pigs and not be in any sort of health trouble. heh)

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
Re: BBQ 05/10/2007 11:45 AM CDT
>>(again, someone please please please prove me wrong that I can whole pigs and not be in any sort of health trouble. heh)<<

eat more, run more friend... it works!

>assist position

SEND[Reexa] Boohiss!

>snicker
You snicker.
BBQ sauce 06/04/2007 02:13 PM CDT
Well there was a bit of a post the other day regarding BBQ sauces. So I decided to have a bit of experiment. I made my first mustard/tomato combo based BBQ sauce. Turned out great, my son ate two pieces of chicken.

Basically I didn't add worchestshire. But it goes something like this

1/4 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
1 cup of onions
5 cloves garlic (2 big tablespoons if you use chopped) if you like garlic like I do, put 3.
1 Teaspoon of Hungarian Paprika
1 Teaspoon of Essence by Emeril (original style)
1 teaspoon to a tablespoon of thyme (depending on if you like thyme or not)
1/4 cup of spicey brown mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 can tomato sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

heat up the pan, add olive oil, then onions and garlic, let start to carmelize, add in all the spices, then the mustard and cider, mix good. Then add in tomato sauce, brown sugar and honey. Simmer for about 3 hours making sure onions are well cooked. Let rest for about half hour, then put in blender.

I shall add crushed red peppers and jalepenos next time for a spicerier version.

Arctuniol

In an open world who needs Windows or Gates.