Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 01:21 PM CDT
I lived in Gulfport, Mississippi, during Hurricane Camille in 1969. I can tell you first hand just how freightening that hurricane was. What I don't understand though is why Camille, which had much stronger winds and moved over the same area, did hardly near as much damage as Katrina seems to have done. If you could tell me, please do.

Re: Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 01:25 PM CDT
I would imagine it'd be the population growth in the past 36 years. That's the damage to Gulf Port anyway. There has never been a hurricane this large that has hit directly on New Orlenes. It was admitted by State officials that the Levey's were only designed to withstand a Catagory 3 hurricane. They thought that the cost was too much for the likelyhood of it. Course that seems kinda silly now since it's going to cost a lot more to repair all the damage than it would have to build a larger levey.

Strangeguard Prayermaster

You gesture at a sand sprite.
Its head soars through the air as its neck is entirely destroyed!
A sand sprite slowly falls to the ground, moaning in despair, shuddering in pain before taking her last breath.
Re: Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 01:52 PM CDT
>It was admitted by State officials that the Levey's were only designed to withstand a Catagory 3 hurricane.

Yup, and they did almost hold, surprisingly enough. If they had, New Orleans would have been fine and everyone would have been screaming about the unnecessary evacuation. 20/20 hindsight. That's why New Orleans got slammed, not the hurricaine itself, the levees going and the pumps going out.

Don't know why the damage elsewhere was so much greater than Andrew, Camille or Betsy though. Some, I'm sure, is just that this was an enormous hurricaine, far larger geographically than the earlier ones. Its one thing to get hit with an hour or two of hurricaine force winds, it's quite another to go through twelve or more hours of them. Another effect of a hurricaine this size, as opposed to magnitude, is the storm surge is considerably larger and that is what does so much flooding damage. When half of the Gulf decides to come inland, well, yeah, its gonna be a problem.

But those are just my hypothesis. As always, YMMV and I'm sure eventually we will know.

Right now I'm just glad that people are coming forward with contacts and knowledge of who is still with us and that Solomon set up this space to let people know what's going on with our fellow players.
Re: Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 04:14 PM CDT
<<Sakhara/flood

I think it might be, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the path of the hurricane was more of less straight along the river (or with a slight curve?)

Which resulted in flooding of unheard of excess, which -would- cause devestation along not just the mouth but the entire river...

Perhaps.

So I asked this God a question
and by way of firm reply,
He said: "I'm not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays".
Re: Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 04:40 PM CDT
Earthheart, who lives in the panhandle of Florida got hit by the storm but she's okay and sends her love to the Black Orchids.

Ternith, Lystid and Kynani in MS are still without power.

That's all I got so far.

Drex

Jeladric says, "May I remind you blunt does not mean mannerless."
Jeladric says, "You know that you must work on your upper class drawl when you gossip. It is best done with the teeth clenched. In a parody of a smile."
Re: Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 05:45 PM CDT
After a hard but brief rain there would be as much as two feet of water in areas outside where I lived in the garden district. The city didn't make a secret of the limitations of the pump and levy systems if a storm like Katrina hit.

Unfortunately the sea wall and larger levies that could have weathered a more powerful hurricane carried a price tag similar to that of the Big Dig in Boston. Certainly the value of New Orleans as a national treasure (in my opinion) and more importantly the cost of human life cannot be measured in any ammount of currency. But the fact is Louisiana does not have the kind of money to finance a project of that magnitude and an earmark of 18 billion of federal appropriations for a project that only has local support is tough to come by.

The storm and the destruction makes me sad, but the looting and violence really gets to me. Food and water; loot away, it's an survival situation. But, I have friends on the west bank whose house was spared by the storm, but not by the looters. It's a shame when the worst parts of human nature destroy what the worst parts of nature could not.

~Purehand
Re: Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 05:59 PM CDT
I'm in Florida and got off lucky when Katrina came over us. Alot has to do with the the timing of the storm. High tide makes for a much stronger surge. The size of the storm too. Andrew was a relativle small storm I was just north of it something like 40 miles or so and we had hardly any hurricane force winds. Now with the size of this storm I probably would have had some of the worst winds. Plus all the weather guys talk about now is the dirty side of the storm thats what hit gulfport from this storm. The dirty side is where the worst weather is and is usually on the north and east side.
Re: Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 08:51 PM CDT
<<What I don't understand though is why Camille, which had much stronger winds and moved over the same area, did hardly near as much damage as Katrina seems to have done. If you could tell me, please do.>>

On Tuesday, the news station I was watching (and I can't remember if it was CNN, MSNBC or FOX ) had an expert answer this very same question. I can't quote him exactly but the gist of was this:

1. Like others here have mentioned, the Gulf shores have seen a tremendous growth in population.

2. Camille was a cat 5 storm, but it was smaller in size than Katrina. And due to weather conditions (a lot of talk about cold fronts and so forth), Camille dissipated fairly rapidly once it hit shore. Katrina was so big, it covered 2 whole states and half of Lousiana (I am talking about the width of the storm) as seen from the satellite and the outer bands of the storm. Thus the eye was bigger, the northwall (the area of most strength) covered a bigger area and it took a long time for the effects of the storm to lessen.

3. The geography of the Gulf shores is different. Espcially in Lousiana. When Camille hit, there was a "buffer" of sorts south of New Orleans of mostly swamp land that helped take the brunt of the storm. Today that is all built up, or was until the storm hit.

4. Sunday night, when most folks went to bed, Katrina was a cat 5 storm heading almost straight for New Orleans. Then right before landfall, it swerved just so slightly east of New Orleans and as a result the hardest hit were the folks on the LA. and MS border and along the shores of the Gulf shores as far east as Florida.

5. As a result of point 4. while New Orleans had ordered the folks to evacuate, and had warning to evacuate) the folks in the towns east of New Orleans either didn't know to evacuate, were told evacuate and did, or was told to evacuate and there wasn't time.

6. Back to New Orleans, the levees held remarkably well, the expert said, and there was only a little flooding and that was from Lake Pontrachain into the areas right next to the levees. It was a combination of rising lake levels, rising Mississippi River levels and the wind and rain after the worst of the storm hit that weakened the levees in 2 places.

Well I just have to say, like everyone else, I am praying for all affected by the hurricane. After almost 4 straight days and most of the nights watching the TV coverage, I just can't take it anymore. And I feel guilty that I even have the option of not being able to take it anymore, of not watching the devastion and see the awful stories people are sharing with the news reporters. And I feel guilty when I eat, or shower or sleep in my bed.

I even feel guilty for not watching the TV coverage non-stop, because I know that as soon as the networks perceive that viewership is down, they will go back to regular programing and these people DESERVE not to be forgotten, to be helped and to know that they are prayed over and cared about.

Thank you Solomon for opening this file. And thanks for those who posted so far about DR folks. I can only hope that if the folks of DR can't post themselves, it is because they have no power, and not because they are dead.

Zinaca
Re: Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 09:11 PM CDT
Really well said, I wait now to hear if my husband is going to Louisianna or not. Seattle PD is sending a team from their Harbor Unit with Jet Boat to aid in the salvage, and peacekeeping forces needed.

God help them all.

Tea
Re: Why so much damage? 09/01/2005 09:30 PM CDT
When Andrew went thru down here it changed south Florida still to this day. It was just a small area compared to this. I can't imagine whats going to happen there. I was hearing that they could still feel the effects 10 years from now. such as envorimentally and economicly too.
Re: Why so much damage? 09/02/2005 06:33 AM CDT
Tea,

Give me a holler later today please if you see this.

~Dulcinia

[Meerc] "People are irritatesome...
Re: Why so much damage? 09/02/2005 04:53 PM CDT
Tea, God bless your husband and all those who are helping or trying to help the folks devastated by this storm.

As someone else has said though, there is a monster typhoon (hurricane, us folks on the West Coast and Pacific rim just have to be contrary and name it differently), heading straight for Korea and southern Japan (Tokyo area I believe). I pray it lessens as it too is a cat 5, or was when I last checked. My heart goes out to all in it's path and I hope our DR family there all the best and my prayers.

Zinaca
Re: Why so much damage? 09/02/2005 06:44 PM CDT
For anyone interested:

http://stfunoob.com/nola/scanner.pls

Police scanners from areas hit by the hurricane. Right now the only one up is Baton Rouge. The other two (Astrodome and I forget the other) went down for some reason.

Rev. Reene, player of a few
"Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie." - Mae West
Re: Why so much damage? 09/05/2005 11:20 PM CDT
Thanks much for this thread. Me and Cathe(Kynani) are now in Georgia while our house gets worked on. We lost most of our electrical appliances including BOTH COMPUTERS OH NOOOOZEEEE...but on the huge scale of things the people down on the coast have lost our loss has been pale in comparison. Lystid is doing fine and once again has power so I'm sure the Tart King will be back arround fairly soon. Thanks much again.

Jimi, driver of Ternith
___
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
Re: Why so much damage? 09/06/2005 12:30 AM CDT
Hope things work out for you, Ternith.

And everyone else, too..

So I asked this God a question
and by way of firm reply,
He said: "I'm not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays".
Re: Why so much damage? 09/06/2005 07:54 AM CDT
Thanks much, I know that myself and cathe appreciate that.

___
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
Re: Why so much damage? 09/06/2005 05:47 PM CDT
>>Jimi, driver of Ternith

Loss is loss.. Regardless of the amount, I regret you had to experience it. We have met before. Good thoughts your way.

~Halanny
Re: Why so much damage? 09/06/2005 08:04 PM CDT
<<Loss is loss.. Regardless of the amount, I regret you had to experience it.>>

Amen to that. Glad to know you are alive Ternith and we in DR miss and Soim and all those who can't live in "our" world for a while. Take care, and know our thoughts and prayers are with you (except for Soim who is such a redneck he would challenge God to a fishin duel and Cajun Black fry God on a platter) : )

Zinaca
Re: Why so much damage? 09/07/2005 08:35 AM CDT
Is it me, or is Zinaca starting to sound an awful lot like Soim?

~Dulcinia

[Meerc] "People are irritatesome...
Re: Why so much damage? 09/08/2005 07:53 PM CDT
<<Is it me, or is Zinaca starting to sound an awful lot like Soim?

~Dulcinia>>

I love you too Dulcinia! Right after Soim, my hero! : )

Zinaca
Re: Why so much damage? 09/09/2005 05:52 AM CDT
Thank you for this folder. I am very glad to see people I have worried about are ok.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.